Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Come again, Housh?
From Hobson's article about Houshmandzadeh:

“It’s a different culture,” Houshmandzadeh said. “These guys have come into a winner. When I came in, we were trying to become winners. The guys that were older than me, they were worse than me outside football. I get the impression the guys that are coming in now, they’re coming into guys that are more serious. It’s just a different culture. You can see it. You can talk to certain guys and see what they’re like outside football. Winning breeds a different environment. Winning solves a lot.”

Can anyone help me understand the bolded sentence?
Miss Otis regrets she's unable to lunch today.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 11:03 PM)Toy Cannon Wrote: From Hobson's article about Houshmandzadeh:

“It’s a different culture,” Houshmandzadeh said. “These guys have come into a winner. When I came in, we were trying to become winners. The guys that were older than me, they were worse than me outside football. I get the impression the guys that are coming in now, they’re coming into guys that are more serious. It’s just a different culture. You can see it. You can talk to certain guys and see what they’re like outside football. Winning breeds a different environment. Winning solves a lot.”

Probably talking about guys that didn't take their profession seriously, so they were out partying, doing whatever. Being on a perennial loser tends to sap your will to improve.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
They were immature and didn't care about winning.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I hated when I read this little tid bit

“I told a few of them today you don’t have to go all out and run your best route all the time,” Houshmandzadeh said. “See what the defense is giving you. You know where the defense is going to sit. You know what they’re going to play, so you automatically know what they have to do. Make it easy on yourself.”

Not the kind of coach I want to stick around if he is telling our guys not to give their best every play. What the hell kind of coaching is that?
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 11:46 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I hated when I read this little tid bit

“I told a few of them today you don’t have to go all out and run your best route all the time,” Houshmandzadeh said. “See what the defense is giving you. You know where the defense is going to sit. You know what they’re going to play, so you automatically know what they have to do. Make it easy on yourself.”

Not the kind of coach I want to stick around if he is telling our guys not to give their best every play. What the hell kind of coaching is that?

Maybe NFL experience type? He's actually right and that's how you set up your plays by what's being given to you.
[Image: 52393749789596023645410.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 11:55 PM)Dmac18 Wrote: Maybe NFL experience type? He's actually right and that's how you set up your plays by what's being given to you.
Just to clarify (because I've seen some confused around various social mediums) - he's just kind of coaching. He's here for two weeks as part of the NFL Minority Coaching Fellowship. So yes, he's involved, but it's not like he's being handed the keys to any particular position group.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 11:03 PM)Toy Cannon Wrote: From Hobson's article about Houshmandzadeh:

They were out doing whatever. They weren't putting the necessary work in to become better football players, let alone people
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 11:55 PM)Dmac18 Wrote: Maybe NFL experience type? He's actually right and that's how you set up your plays by what's being given to you.

He's completely wrong.  

Even if the defense is set-up for you to alter your route a little bit from the original route, you still have to run a good route and make it difficult for the defense to cover.

It's not hard to cover a half-assed route.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 11:46 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I hated when I read this little tid bit

T.J. is correct.

It is better to play smart and take what the defense gives you than kill yourself trying to beat them one on one every single play.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 01:05 AM)fredtoast Wrote: T.J. is correct.

It is better to play smart and take what the defense gives you than kill yourself trying to beat them one on one every single play.

And if the primary receiver slips and falls or the defense is disguised well... And our other targets are running half assed routes we end up with a blown play.

How many routes do they have to run a game? It is a 60 minute game. Half of which the offense isn't even on the field. Oh and it is possible to sub out if you get tired.

Taking plays off when you are one of the receivers supposed to be an option on the play is horrible advice from a coach like figure.

Ask Hue Jackson if he wants his receivers half assing routes when they see fit.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 01:18 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: And if the primary receiver slips and falls or the defense is disguised well... And our other targets are running half assed routes we end up with a blown play.

How many routes do they have to run a game? It is a 60 minute game. Half of which the offense isn't even on the field. Oh and it is possible to sub out if you get tired.

Taking plays off when you are one of the receivers supposed to be an option on the play is horrible advice from a coach like figure.

I don't think he was saying that they should be lazy. I took it to mean that they should think a little bit and take a look at how the coverages are set up first instead of just running without thinking.

I don't think he worded it very well though.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 01:18 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: And if the primary receiver slips and falls or the defense is disguised well... And our other targets are running half assed routes we end up with a blown play.

You are completely missing the point.  he wasn't telling them to be lazy or half-assed.  he was telling them to win with their brains instead of burning themselves up by trying to win a one-on-one every play.

When Michael Jordan and LeBron James were young they just jumped over and ran through everyone using there superior athletic ability.  As they got older and wiser they were able to produce just as many points by playing smarter instead of just relying on pure physical ability.  The same thing happens with great pitchers in baseball.  At some point in their career they have to learn to use their heads and "pitch" instead of just trying to throw every pitch 100 MPH.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 02:36 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You are completely missing the point.  he wasn't telling them to be lazy or half-assed.  he was telling them to win with their brains instead of burning themselves up by trying to win a one-on-one every play.

When Michael Jordan and LeBron James were young they just jumped over and ran through everyone using there superior athletic ability.  As they got older and wiser they were able to produce just as many points by playing smarter instead of just relying on pure physical ability.  The same thing happens with great pitchers in baseball.  At some point in their career they have to learn to use their heads and "pitch" instead of just trying to throw every pitch 100 MPH.

Sounds great so long as the QB and WR are on the same page.  How does the QB know when the WR is going to try to make the play with his brain or with his legs?  Should all receivers have a little "wiggle room" in their routes to try and get open, or should it only be allowed with the QB's most trusted receiver(s)?
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 02:36 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You are completely missing the point.  he wasn't telling them to be lazy or half-assed.  he was telling them to win with their brains instead of burning themselves up by trying to win a one-on-one every play.

I agree with this.  He also said in that article that they are too quiet in practice and they need to push each other more.
Reply/Quote
fredtoast
You are completely missing the point.  he wasn't telling them to be lazy or half-assed.  he was telling them to win with their brains instead of burning themselves up by trying to win a one-on-one every play.

Couldn't agree more. Well said !
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote

Unless they're Nolan Ryan..... Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

I believe he meant to say that based on what the defense gives you, it could be better to adjust a route by a yard or so to help find the soft spot in coverage.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 09:44 AM)Wyche Wrote: Unless they're Nolan Ryan..... Ninja

Ha, now THAT would be some coaching!  Ok, go out there and be Nolan Ryan...come oonnnnn, just do it!  *accepts coach o' the year award*
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 01:18 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: And if the primary receiver slips and falls or the defense is disguised well... And our other targets are running half assed routes we end up with a blown play.

your taking it all wrong he didnt say anything about not giving a 100% effort.

Just it didnt have to the prefect route as it was designed as long as you can get to were you are open ie taking what the defense gives you.

A lot of what route to run is dictated by the look the defense is giving.

At least thats how i take it.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 12:59 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: He's completely wrong.  

Even if the defense is set-up for you to alter your route a little bit from the original route, you still have to run a good route and make it difficult for the defense to cover.

It's not hard to cover a half-assed route.

Didn't understand that either - maybe we misunderstood him.

You didn't see Jerry Rice under sell a route.  WRs have been criticized for not selling a route because the slacked - which telegraphed that they were not gong to be targeted.

I've never heard a great WR say to chill when you're not targeted.
Reply/Quote