Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comp picks announced...
No 3rd round pick. 1 extra 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th. Not even 2 4ths (Which I had hoped for if we weren't given a 3rd). 11 extra 3rd round picks given. Meaning our original 4th round pick is more like pick 20 then pick 9 of the fourth round. Kinda crazy to think how far we fell in the 4th round thanks to the extra 11 3rd round picks awarded.

Now I wonder how important it was to not sign free agents to try to get comp picks. I'd rather have the free agents if we can't even get a 3rd after all we lost and didn't replace.

And in an even more of a blow. CLE, BAL, PIT all got extra 3rd round picks.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2017, 05:29 PM)jj22 Wrote: No 3rd round pick. 1 extra 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th. Not even 2 4ths (Which I had hoped for if we weren't given a 3rd). 11 extra 3rd round picks given. Meaning our original 4th round pick is more like pick 20 then pick 9 of the fourth round. Kinda crazy to think how far we fell in the 4th round thanks to the extra 11 3rd round picks awarded.

Now I wonder how important it was to not sign free agents to try to get comp picks. I'd rather have the free agents if we can't even get a 3rd after all we lost and didn't replace.

It really isn't a bad strategy if the Bengals go after  guys who are cut this off season instead of signing regular free agents. People seriously overrate free agency and underrate this strategy if it is done correctly.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Yea because a player not good enough for one team is better than a player who has multiple teams after them as a free agent.

But lets keep not singing free agents to help us and go 6-9-1 so we can get that comp pick that doesn't even equate to an extra 3rd.

If your not getting a 3rd is it really even worth hurting the teams to try to salvage a late round comp pick? That's the question.

One that we already know from years past will bust.

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2017, 05:40 PM)jj22 Wrote: Yea because a player not good enough for one team is better than a player who has multiple teams after them as a free agent.

But lets keep not singing free agents to help us and go 6-9-1 so we can get that comp pick that doesn't even equate to an extra 3rd.

If your not getting a 3rd is it really even worth hurting the teams to try to salvage a  late round comp pick? That's the question.

You do understand that the majority of these big deals ends in complete failure and usually end up getting cut in a year or two into the deal. I am not saying don't  compete in free agency but it has been proven that  going all in during the first day is not a good strategy. There is nothing wrong with dumpster diving when it comes to free agency.
J24

Reply/Quote

LOL
Reply/Quote
If Whit, Z, and/or Dre get offered a deal that results in a potential 3rd round comp pick in 2018, I expect the team to let them walk.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2017, 06:00 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: If Whit, Z, and/or Dre get offered a deal that results in a potential 3rd round comp pick in 2018, I expect the team to let them walk.
I would be shocked if they let Whitworth walk but definitely agree with you on Z and Dre.
J24

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2017, 05:29 PM)jj22 Wrote: No 3rd round pick. 1 extra 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th. Not even 2 4ths (Which I had hoped for if we weren't given a 3rd). 11 extra 3rd round picks given. Meaning our original 4th round pick is more like pick 20 then pick 9 of the fourth round. Kinda crazy to think how far we fell in the 4th round thanks to the extra 11 3rd round picks awarded.

And in an even more of a  blow. CLE, BAL, PIT all got extra 3rd round picks.

I seriously hate the compensatory pick process...do away with it completely.  If you didn't sign your own FA, you have saved money.  This never makes any sense to me.  How on earth, with the losses the Bengals had, did they not get better earlier compensatory picks?
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2017, 06:00 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: If Whit, Z, and/or Dre get offered a deal that results in a potential 3rd round comp pick in 2018, I expect the team to let them walk.

Just to find out a year later they are only getting a 4th.

Why there should be disappointment at the failed plan.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/02/24/bengals-receive-four-compensatory-draft-picks/98366128/

Reply/Quote
We win teh Soupor Bowz!!!!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2017, 06:20 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I seriously hate the compensatory pick process...do away with it completely.  If you didn't sign your own FA, you have saved money.  This never makes any sense to me.  How on earth, with the losses the Bengals had, did they not get better earlier compensatory picks?

I'm not a fan of the comp system as it's currently set up. If a team loses a player to free agency (especially by choice), then why should it be rewarded with a draft pick if it chooses not to replace the player with another comparable FA, or decides to replace them in the draft instead of pursuing a FA?
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2017, 05:50 PM)J24 Wrote:  There is nothing wrong with dumpster diving when it comes to free agency.
Bengals have implemented this strategy for quite some time. Time to go in a different direction.
Reply/Quote

And in an even more of a  blow. CLE, BAL, PIT all got extra 3rd round picks.

We did sign some free agents and replace...   The way they do it..  Going after guys cut rather than those with just an expired contract is what helps them with the comp picks...  But 5ths 6ths and 7ths are hard press to make the team generally. 

This year is a little different as comp picks can be traded.   Not that we do that often but we have a little extra ammo to do so maybe on day 2.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2017, 06:00 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: If Whit, Z, and/or Dre get offered a deal that results in a potential 3rd round comp pick in 2018, I expect the team to let them walk.

Letting guys walk just to collect comp picks is utter insanity.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2017, 05:40 PM)jj22 Wrote: Yea because a player not good enough for one team is better than a player who has multiple teams after them as a free agent.

If your not getting a 3rd is it really even worth hurting the teams to try to salvage a  late round comp pick? That's the question.

To be fair, a lot of those guys getting cut because they aren't good enough had multiple teams after them as a FA 2-3 years before they got cut, and they didn't perform up to expectations.

It's about finding the right guys, regardless of whet they come from the draft, high end free agents, the bargain bin, or the waiver wire.  Depth and having adequate starters has generally not been a problem.  Our issue is that we don't have enough superstar type players, which are insanely expensive to get in FA.  A big problem with that has been a steady string of underwhelming 1st and 2nd round picks(Dennard, Hill, Still, Hunt, Jackson, Kirkpatrick).
Reply/Quote
How the hell did the Steelers end up with a 3rd round comp?
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2017, 07:29 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Letting guys walk just to collect comp picks is utter insanity.

I assume we just let them walk to keep costs down. Acting like you give a crap about comp picks is a nice way to keep fans off your ass...for a while.
Reply/Quote
Welcome to Jungle Noise. Where getting 4 comp picks is a bad thing
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Gotta admit I'm a tad disappointed in how the picks came down. I thought we would get 2 in the 4th and 2 in the 6th. Of course I was hoping one would get bumped to a 3rd. I also admit to not fully understanding how they are determined. How did shitsburgh and Baltimore warrants 3rds?
Reply/Quote

so last year was a losing season, what about years before with the same logic if you assume that is what they are doing.. Bottom line Bengals have never been big in FA.. with or without picks etc... I have a gut they will do a trade with picks before signing a big FA
Reply/Quote