Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Companies raising wages due to tax bill.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/walmart-raises-starting-hourly-wage-to-dollar11-amid-tax-overhaul/ar-BBIgcbX?ocid=spartandhp

So it looks like some companies are making a public show of passing on savings to employees due to the tax bill. However as the article points out even with the pay raise to $11 an hour its still only $22,000 a year, below the poverty line of $24,000 for a family of four. Also keep in mind that most of the positions that offer the $11 an hour are only part time positions.

So what do you guys think?
I think if people are getting more money, it's a good thing. And since that is just the starting wage, they can move up from there. I'm not saying I'd be thrilled to be making $11.00 an hour, but it's better than $9.00 which it was a couple of years ago.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-11-2018, 03:49 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/walmart-raises-starting-hourly-wage-to-dollar11-amid-tax-overhaul/ar-BBIgcbX?ocid=spartandhp

So it looks like some companies are making a public show of passing on savings to employees due to the tax bill.  However as the article points out even with the pay raise to $11 an hour its still only $22,000 a year,  below the poverty line of $24,000 for a family of four. Also keep in mind that most of the positions that offer the $11 an hour are only part time positions.

I would say that this would definitely create Trump supporters out of Walmart employees, but if they're working at Walmart, they're probably already a Trump supporter.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

suddenly closing 63 Sams Clubs and firing thousands should help cover these costs too.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(01-11-2018, 04:08 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: suddenly closing 63 Sams Clubs and firing thousands should help cover these costs too.

That's something that is often being missed in these stories. Some of these companies giving bonuses and raising wages are also closing locations and having layoffs. It would be interesting to see what the net change actually is for each one of the companies that has been making a public show of this. There is also the factor that many of them have been sitting on large chunks of cash for a long time, so their decision to do this now is often nothing more than PR.
(01-11-2018, 04:08 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: suddenly closing 63 Sams Clubs and firing thousands should help cover these costs too.

They've also probably been planning this since their biggest competitor announced that they'd be doing an $11 minimum wage last year.

The tax bill may lessen the blow though....
LFG  

(01-11-2018, 03:49 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/walmart-raises-starting-hourly-wage-to-dollar11-amid-tax-overhaul/ar-BBIgcbX?ocid=spartandhp

So it looks like some companies are making a public show of passing on savings to employees due to the tax bill. However as the article points out even with the pay raise to $11 an hour its still only $22,000 a year, below the poverty line of $24,000 for a family of four. Also keep in mind that most of the positions that offer the $11 an hour are only part time positions.

https://news.google.com/news/amp?caurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.businessinsider.com%2Fwalmart-suddenly-closes-sams-club-stores-2018-1#pt0-545348
(01-11-2018, 04:01 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I would say that this would definitely create Trump supporters out of Walmart employees, but if they're working at Walmart, they're probably already a Trump supporter.
That's completely false.  Are there any there that support him? sure. A lot are immigrants and I'm sure they aren't fans of trump.  I'm going off of my local Walmart.
I did not know this.  Certainly adds some new perspective.
(01-11-2018, 04:13 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: That's something that is often being missed in these stories. Some of these companies giving bonuses and raising wages are also closing locations and having layoffs. It would be interesting to see what the net change actually is for each one of the companies that has been making a public show of this. There is also the factor that many of them have been sitting on large chunks of cash for a long time, so their decision to do this now is often nothing more than PR.
This was my line of thinking, nothing more than a PR move.  
(01-11-2018, 04:22 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: They've also probably been planning this since their biggest competitor announced that they'd be doing an $11 minimum wage last year.

The tax bill may lessen the blow though....
This true too, especially since Walmart has a history of hiring problems.
(01-11-2018, 05:27 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: https://news.google.com/news/amp?caurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.businessinsider.com%2Fwalmart-suddenly-closes-sams-club-stores-2018-1#pt0-545348

Your link didn't work for me, but I am assuming it addresses what bmorepat already touched on.
(01-11-2018, 07:12 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: That's completely false.  Are there any there that support him? sure. A lot are immigrants and I'm sure they aren't fans of trump.  I'm going off of my local Walmart.

I was just joking...

Kinda playing off the overall trashiness of Walmart.
LFG  

This. 

Just imagine what would happen if the federal minimum wage was boosted significantly. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

You can give bonuses but you can’t just make up wages because as soon as you get a leftist or progressive in there they will raise taxes and cripple business.
LMFAO....a middle finger to minimum wage and, of course, libtards find a way to criticize.
--------------------------------------------------------

(01-11-2018, 08:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This. 

Just imagine what would happen if the federal minimum wage was boosted significantly. 

At in a time of record corporate profits I wonder why these wages weren't raised already.

I know the pat answer will be "businesses like stability" and "lower taxes", but they've seen increased productivity and profits for years with no significant raise in wages.

I'm glad it's happening, but its seems a bit disingenuous right now.

Especially with the layoffs and closings surrounding the few get raises and one time bonuses.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(01-12-2018, 09:53 AM)GMDino Wrote: At in a time of record corporate profits I wonder why these wages weren't raised already.

I know the pat answer will be "businesses like stability" and "lower taxes", but they've seen increased productivity and profits for years with no significant raise in wages.

Especially with the layoffs and closings surrounding the few get raises and one time bonuses.

Technically they were raised already. Their starting pay was raised from $8 to $9 in 2015, then to $10 in 2016, and now $11 in 2018. 

10 of the Sams Clubs will become online distribution centers, so it seems like this is really just part of a greater structural change to compete with Amazon (which goes along with their marketplace addition to their website to model Amazon).

We may see an eventual push to hire more distribution center employees (if those they retain from Sam's Club aren't enough) or we may not.

There's no doubt the tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy played a role in this, but it seems like this is just part of a larger plan for Walmart that goes beyond these little pieces we're all referencing. I imagine the shout out to the taxes was more of a ploy to garner favor, both with a base and with politicians. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(01-12-2018, 06:48 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: LMFAO....a middle finger to minimum wage and, of course, libtards find a way to criticize.

You've gotten a lot more partisan in the age of Trump. It's rather interesting.
(01-12-2018, 10:14 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Technically they were raised already. Their starting pay was raised from $8 to $9 in 2015, then to $10 in 2016, and now $11 in 2018. 

10 of the Sams Clubs will become online distribution centers, so it seems like this is really just part of a greater structural change to compete with Amazon (which goes along with their marketplace addition to their website to model Amazon).

We may see an eventual push to hire more distribution center employees (if those they retain from Sam's Club aren't enough) or we may not.

There's no doubt the tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy played a role in this, but it seems like this is just part of a larger plan for Walmart that goes beyond these little pieces we're all referencing. I imagine the shout out to the taxes was more of a ploy to garner favor, both with a base and with politicians. 

Oh!  So, again, it's something long in the works that Trump wants to take credit for?

I guess I should have considered that option too.
(01-12-2018, 09:53 AM)GMDino Wrote: At in a time of record corporate profits I wonder why these wages weren't raised already.

Make the tax rates permanent or cut even further and make them permanent and you will see wages rise. Once business knows the tax rate is set for good then it can plan and hire/pay more employees.
(01-12-2018, 12:20 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Make the tax rates permanent or cut even further and make them permanent and you will see wages rise.   Once business knows the tax rate is set for good then it can plan and hire/pay more employees.

No, no they won't.

Hiring is based on the market...supply and demand.

If sales increase you need more employees to handle it.  Businesses don't hire people just because they are making more money/profit paying less taxes.
(01-12-2018, 12:03 PM)GMDino Wrote: Oh!  So, again, it's something long in the works that Trump wants to take credit for?

I guess I should have considered that option too.

They kind of gave him credit for it.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(01-11-2018, 08:18 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I was just joking...

Kinda playing off the overall trashiness of Walmart.

Oh no I get it...

But there are people there making $$