Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Competition for AJMcCarron>?
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/16/titans-waive-zach-mettenberger/

Zach Mettenberger is available.

Not saying anything other than camp competition for backup spots.
Reply/Quote
Someone will claim Mettenberger. He's got 2 years left on a 6th round rookie deal.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I like matt johnson the udfa from bowling green.

he is a damn good qb.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2016, 05:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I like matt johnson the udfa from bowling green.

he is a damn good qb.

I really can't tell if this is serious or Fred's sarcasm.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2016, 05:31 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I really can't tell if this is serious or Fred's sarcasm.

I was serious, but I see that we just released Johnson.
Reply/Quote
We definitely need competition for our backup position. I wasn't impressed with McCarron at all. He averaged about 200 yards a game, and he was absolutely terrible on 3rd downs, or even getting 1st downs. The majority of the time when he scored was when the defense put him in position to score. I wouldn't mind if we bring in McCown, Fitzpatrick, Glennon, or Mettenberger. Unless they demand too much of a price.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I have no issues with what we saw of McCarron. He completed 66 percent of his passes and had a rating around 97...6 tds and 2 ints.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2016, 06:20 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I have no issues with what we saw of McCarron.  He completed 66 percent of his passes and had a rating around 97...6 tds and 2 ints.

At least 3 of those TDs came from the defense putting McCarron on the opponents side of the field. McCarron converted less than 30% of his 3rd downs, and has a lot of trouble converting downs all together. Plus he played horrible defenses, he played 30th (twice) and the 27th ranked defense against the pass.
Reply/Quote
They like McCarron, he looked like an adequate backup last year and he's young. I actually slightly preferred Mettenberger but preferred that they wait til late to draft one of those two. Detroit or Seattle could use another backup, my money is on Detroit to pick him up off waivers.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2016, 05:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I like matt johnson the udfa from bowling green.

he is a damn good qb.

[Image: aaaand-hes-gone.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2016, 06:46 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: At least 3 of those TDs came from the defense putting McCarron on the opponents side of the field. McCarron converted less than 30% of his 3rd downs, and has a lot of trouble converting downs all together. Plus he played horrible defenses, he played 30th (twice) and the 27th ranked defense against the pass.

A touchdown is a touchdown. You can manipulate and qualify stats for any player.

"Well, Dalton threw x number of interceptions, but half of them were when we were down by 2 or more touchdowns, so they don't reeeeeaaaaaalllly count towards his total" but then disregarding that you could say that about just about any QB.

When it comes to stats, it is valuable to look at situational stats on occasion, but trying to evaluate the stats too much is just a rabbit hole that ultimately leads to nothing.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2016, 09:42 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: A touchdown is a touchdown. You can manipulate and qualify stats for any player.

"Well, Dalton threw x number of interceptions, but half of them were when we were down by 2 or more touchdowns, so they don't reeeeeaaaaaalllly count towards his total" but then disregarding that you could say that about just about any QB.

When it comes to stats, it is valuable to look at situational stats on occasion, but trying to evaluate the stats too much is just a rabbit hole that ultimately leads to nothing.

It doesn't change the fact that he couldn't move the ball very well. It shows that you can't move the ball very well if you're barley averaging 200 yards against mostly bad defenses. And it is something to point out that at least half of his TDs came from the defense putting him on the opponents side of the field. It's kind of funny, because I know this guy won't ever be a starter on any team in the league just from what I seen of him last year. And if he does get a starting spot by some miracle (I'm not talking about being a backup and the starter gets injured). It will be for a team that was in Denvers situation where there's literally no one else. Why do you think that Denver would choose Sanchez before even considering McCarron?
Reply/Quote
Apparently the Bengals and the Giants (I believe) both made an attempt to nab Mettenberger according to Mike & Mike.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 11:19 AM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: Apparently the Bengals and the Giants (I believe) both made an attempt to nab Mettenberger according to Mike & Mike.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/18/bengals-and-giants-tried-to-claim-zach-mettenberger/
Reply/Quote
Meh, I don't mind seeing Mettenberger go elsewhere. Perhaps I'm wrong but I can't help but picture John Skelton in stripes for a few weeks and think this would be along the same lines. Toss in the fact that he plead guilty to sexual battery on a minor, he engaged in a one-sided feud with a HOF-er while going 0-10 as a starter, and the fact that he looks like a trailer park sex offender and you have the total package!
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2016, 06:08 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: We definitely need competition for our backup position. I wasn't impressed with McCarron at all. He averaged about 200 yards a game, and he was absolutely terrible on 3rd downs, or even getting 1st downs. The majority of the time when he scored was when the defense put him in position to score. I wouldn't mind if we bring in McCown, Fitzpatrick, Glennon, or Mettenberger. Unless they demand too much of a price.

To the bold, AJM was a rookie backup who came in towards the end of the season. In that context, he didn't look bad.

Fitz is holding out for starting salary somewhere. 
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 01:50 PM)Benton Wrote: To the bold, AJM was a rookie backup who came in towards the end of the season. In that context, he didn't look bad.

Agreed. In a limited sample size, and seeing his first NFL action, I thought he handled himself well enough.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 01:50 PM)Benton Wrote: To the bold, AJM was a rookie backup who came in towards the end of the season. In that context, he didn't look bad.

(05-18-2016, 02:08 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Agreed. In a limited sample size, and seeing his first NFL action, I thought he handled himself well enough.

x3.

There were flaws (the offense averaged around 270 yards with him at the helm), but he did what I expect a solid backup to do. Protect the football. Well...other than the playoff game anyway. It'd be nice if we could keep him around beyond next year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 02:15 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: x3.

There were flaws (the offense averaged around 270 yards with him at the helm), but he did what I expect a solid backup to do. Protect the football. Well...other than the playoff game anyway. It'd be nice if we could keep him around beyond next year.

But if he lost a competition to another backup that is what is best for the team keeping who is best.

Mettenburger got picked up but it appears the bengals had the same idea I did as they put in a claim
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 11:19 AM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: Apparently the Bengals and the Giants (I believe) both made an attempt to nab Mettenberger according to Mike & Mike.

Stirring the pot thought......

Pick up Mettenberger then see if there are any willing trade partners for AJM.  If not, no harm in cutting Mettenberger.
Reply/Quote