Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confederate Flag stuff has gone too far.
(07-03-2015, 12:59 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I love me some old school Looney Tunes.  But when I clicked on your link, it looked like you had been looking for the most racist ones you could find?  Not offended, was just curious.

Yeah, the topic was about the confederate flag and racism, then about how the Dukes of Hazzard was not racist and they cancelled re-runs because of the flag on the General Lee. I remember the cartoon with Bugs Bunny acting like a slave, and I remembered when I was younger how I noticed they didnt show that part of that cartoon anymore. Whereas the Dukes had no racist overtones, that cartoon clip did.
(07-03-2015, 01:19 PM)Beaker Wrote: Yeah, the topic was about the confederate flag and racism, then about how the Dukes of Hazzard was not racist and they cancelled re-runs because of the flag on the General Lee. I remember the cartoon with Bugs Bunny acting like a slave, and I remembered when I was younger how I noticed they didnt show that part of that cartoon anymore. Whereas the Dukes had no racist overtones, that cartoon clip did.

I love the old Looney Tunes, mostly because they're so un-PC. Heck some of them smoked. LOL
(07-03-2015, 02:20 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Aren't those lyrics in a song by Rage Against the Machine?

Beginning of the movie 1984.
(07-03-2015, 12:17 AM)jason Wrote: I agree with you on this one.  You and I have differing opinions on this whole issue with this flag, but this is just stupid.  My only problem with that flag, is flying it at a legislative building.  I don't care if NASCAR fans wanna waive it (but I do think less of those who do), or if it's painted on top of the General Lee on a fictional TV show.

I don't totally disagree with you on this... I think this is more detailed than what some think.... The battle flag is big part of military history and quite frankly most of our military history is deeply rooted in the south. Battle flag is a tribute to the excellence of Lee.

If we are truly taking down signs of slavery then when will we outlaw the democrat party, I am happy to hear they are finally joining us in denouncing slavery.
(07-03-2015, 07:57 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Beginning of the movie 1984.

I haven't watched that movie in a very long time.
https://video.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xta1/v/t42.1790-2/11358590_864178430340292_1376675090_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjUxMywicmxhIjo1MTJ9&rl=513&vabr=285&oh=e4bef93eb5681664657d6310a7e0ce68&oe=55999E30
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-03-2015, 08:04 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I don't totally disagree with you on this...   I think this is more detailed than what some think.... The battle flag is big part of military history and quite frankly most of our military history is deeply rooted in the south.   Battle flag is a tribute to the excellence of Lee.  

If we are truly taking down signs of slavery then when will we outlaw the democrat party,  I am happy to hear they are finally joining us in denouncing slavery.

Meh, if we allow white people to be all sentimental about the history of the civil war then we have to respect black people complaining about slavery and acting like it's still relevant that their great great great great etc grandparents were slaves and we still "owe" them.

You can't have two bites of the apple!!!
(07-05-2015, 11:51 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, if we allow white people to be all sentimental about the history of the civil war then we have to respect black people complaining about slavery and acting like it's still relevant that their great great great great etc grandparents were slaves and we still "owe" them.

You can't have two bites of the apple!!!

It's all just petty nonsense. defacing statues, claiming flag poles, it's all just ridiculous.

And the funny part is that its over people getting shot in a church. Which these same protestors who are anti flag.... Are also anti church and religion. Hypocrites.
(07-06-2015, 12:57 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: It's all just petty nonsense.   defacing statues, claiming flag poles, it's all just ridiculous.  

And the funny part is that its over people getting shot in a church.   Which these same protestors who are anti flag.... Are also anti church and religion.   Hypocrites.

How are they hypocrites? I don't think being against organized religion means you support people getting killed in their churches for racial (not religious) reasons. Hell, I don't even think it means you support anyone being killed anywhere.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(07-06-2015, 12:57 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: It's all just petty nonsense.   defacing statues, claiming flag poles, it's all just ridiculous.  

And the funny part is that its over people getting shot in a church.   Which these same protestors who are anti flag.... Are also anti church and religion.   Hypocrites.

The funny part is you think this is all new and started based on one shooting in a black church.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-06-2015, 12:57 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Which these same protestors who are anti flag.... Are also anti church and religion.   Hypocrites.

Who are you speaking for?  The majority of those against the flag being on capital grounds here in SC are God Fearing Christians.  Also a non-God fearing Atheist such as myself can easily recognize the rights of those that do and while we may be anti-church in our personal lives we can still be fine with others doing so.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(07-06-2015, 09:09 AM)GMDino Wrote: The funny part is you think this is all new and started based on one shooting in a black church.

Oh, you mean like over 15 years ago when some 50,000 people protested the very same thing?

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2000/01/conf-j26.html
(07-06-2015, 12:05 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Oh, you mean like over 15 years ago when some 50,000 people protested the very same thing?

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2000/01/conf-j26.html

Pfft.

Progressives.

Ninja
(07-06-2015, 12:47 PM)GMDino Wrote: Pfft.

Progressives.

Ninja

People act like this political correctness movement is also new.  Amos 'n' Andy was a hotbed of controversy in the 1950s...the 50s!  A time when, if you listen to certain curmudgeon types, was lauded as a golden age of unfettered access to offensive material.  It reminds me of people complaining about the NFL making rules to "sissify" the game without realizing that some 40 years ago the NFL decided tackling a guy by his facemask should be a penalty.

Ain't nothin' new folks.  Nothing.  Zilch.  
(07-06-2015, 01:06 PM)Nately120 Wrote: People act like this political correctness movement is also new.  Amos 'n' Andy was a hotbed of controversy in the 1950s...the 50s!  A time when, if you listen to certain curmudgeon types, was lauded as a golden age of unfettered access to offensive material.  It reminds me of people complaining about the NFL making rules to "sissify" the game without realizing that some 40 years ago the NFL decided tackling a guy by his facemask should be a penalty.

Ain't nothin' new folks.  Nothing.  Zilch.  

One of my all time favorite quotes:

Quote:“Times are bad. Children no longer obey their parents, and everyone is writing a book.”

― Marcus Tullius Cicero
(orator who lived from 106 BC to 43 BC)
[url=http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/13755.Marcus_Tullius_Cicero][/url]
(07-06-2015, 12:57 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote:   Which these same protestors who are anti flag.... Are also anti church and religion.   Hypocrites.

Nothing hypocritical about my position.  I don't think the Statehouse is the right place for a confederate flag or a church.  So I am being pretty consistent.
How do you guys feel about Bubba Watson replacing the Confederate Flag with the US flag on the General Lee? (a car museum has offered to buy it from him to preserve its legacy).

Why would you destroy a piece of television history? I think that's going way too far. When did tolerance become about erasing or rewriting history?
Show I wondered when Phil Robertson (Duck Dynasty) was going to weigh in with a poignant, yet unintentionally stupid and offensive commentary on the Confederate Flag.

Turns out, he commented back in 2013...and I was shocked!
http://therightscoop.com/phil-robertson-slams-confederate-flag-says-its-offensive-when-associated-with-rednecks/
“Redneck” is a term of endearment around here. And attaching that to a Confederate flag is offensive to me . . . That Confederate flag is not what we stand for.’ ”
(07-06-2015, 06:23 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote:  When did tolerance become about erasing or rewriting history?

When did freedom mean telling someone what they can or can't do with their own car?

Besides, the General Lee is a car from a stupid 70's TV show, not a source of historical information.
(07-06-2015, 07:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: When did freedom mean telling someone what they can or can't do with their own car?

Besides, the General Lee is a car from a stupid 70's TV show, not a source of historical information.

Who's telling him he can't do what he wants with his car?  I think he should sell it rather than deface it.  And it's a ridiculous gesture - he obviously didn't have a problem with it when he bought it.

LMAO bringing freedom into it - is freedom what pressured him to do this in the first place?  What's next, cutting out pictures of the confederate flag in all the history books?

And whether you agree or not, tv/movie memorabilia is a pretty big market.  A collector shouldn't deface a piece of nostalgia or film history