Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Congratulations, Cordell Volson!
(01-14-2023, 01:11 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I suspect Volson will be the new Zac Taylor. Certain posters are so dug in against him they will never admit we found a gem. "He is horrible"... yet he made the All Rookie 1st team. That doesn't equate.

There are such things as bad rookie classes

You’d be surprised at the amount of bums who make 1st team all rookie in the NBA every year
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2023, 01:11 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I suspect Volson will be the new Zac Taylor. Certain posters are so dug in against him they will never admit we found a gem. "He is horrible"... yet he made the All Rookie team. That doesn't equate.

I think there is some nuance needed here. He didn't make the All-Rookie team, he made a All-Rookie team. There are multiple outlets that produce these things. He made the Sports Info Solution All-Rookie Team. Honestly, this is my first time ever hearing of this site. The All-Rookie team is typically considered to be either the AP All-Rookie Team, just like the AP All-Pro team is considered the most presitigious, or the PFWA All-Rookie Team. They haven't released those quite yet. 
Reply/Quote
Volson was fine this season. He obviously had his struggles at times, but he wasn’t a total liability, and that’s all we really needed out of a rookie. He has a bright future ahead of him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2023, 12:59 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why? Boling wasn’t even a full time starter his rookie season.

Boling was a quality starter for 7 years in the NFL.
Volson has been a quality starter 0 years in the NFL.

Being a full time starter your rookie season doesn't mean anything other than the team has no better option. Billy Price was a fully time starter his rookie season. Volson can become good, but he isn't that right now.

First you have to be good. 
Second you have to be consistently good for 7 years.

Then you're Clint Boling.

- - - - - -
Also not sure I am particularly aware of Sports Info Solutions and their "points" system. For instance here are the two rookie RBs they listed on their team...
210 rushes, 1035 yards (4.9), 3 TD ... 16 catches, 139 yards, 1 TD
228 rushes, 1050 yards (4.6), 9 TD ... 27 catches, 165 yards, 0 TD

Why is the first player worth 40 "points" while the second is worth 8? Does that first statline scream "I am 5x more valuable than the other guy"?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2023, 01:16 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I think there is some nuance needed here. He didn't make the All-Rookie team, he made a All-Rookie team. There are multiple outlets that produce these things. He made the Sports Info Solution All-Rookie Team. Honestly, this is my first time ever hearing of this site. The All-Rookie team is typically considered to be either the AP All-Rookie Team, just like the AP All-Pro team is considered the most presitigious, or the PFWA All-Rookie Team. They haven't released those quite yet. 

I was gonna say they haven't released the All-Rookie team yet.

Cordell Volson had a solid season and really impressed me through a tough stretch where he had Cam Heyward, Jeffery Simmons, and Chris Jones all in a row. I might give it to Dylan Parham who has played just as well as Volson but has played both Guard spots and Center this season...as a rookie lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2023, 01:22 PM)Synric Wrote: I was gonna say they haven't released the All-Rookie team yet.

Cordell Volson had a solid season and really impressed me through a tough stretch where he had Cam Heyward, Jeffery Simmons, and Chris Jones all in a row. I might give it to Dylan Parham who has played just as well as Volson but has played both Guard spots and Center this season...as a rookie lol.

I like Parham and Zion Johnson the most out of this class. I thought Zion in particular did a decent job of improving as the season went on. I liked him in the draft, though, so I might be a bit biased there. Kenyon Green did well.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2023, 01:13 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Right, because starting 10 games on a last place team is totally the same as what Volson just did.

I guess you just confused me when you pointed out how Boling and Volston were different in efforts to illustrate how they are a direct comparison. 

At least I used a similar comparison. Billy was our full-time starter in his rookie year. He missed games with an injury but returned as a full-time starter once healed. 

I just thought that would be a more direct comparison as opposed to a player who came off the bench during his rookie year. Billy was a starting interior olineman in his rookie year as was Cordell. Billy earned a PFF grade of 55.6 his rookie year, Volston earned a 51.6
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2023, 01:16 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I think there is some nuance needed here. He didn't make the All-Rookie team, he made a All-Rookie team. There are multiple outlets that produce these things. He made the Sports Info Solution All-Rookie Team. Honestly, this is my first time ever hearing of this site. The All-Rookie team is typically considered to be either the AP All-Rookie Team, just like the AP All-Pro team is considered the most presitigious, or the PFWA All-Rookie Team. They haven't released those quite yet. 

I saw the pff All-Rookie team and they actually listed a LT as their LG
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-nfl-all-rookie-team-brock-purdy-aidan-hutchinson-sauce-gardner-and-more
Apparently, they were not impressed with any rookie LG.

WTS, I am and have stated numerous times how happy I am with Cordell's performance. But if someone like O'Cyrus Torrence or Andrew Vorhees is there at #31 I'd be over-joyed to move Cordell to the pine. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2023, 09:39 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: On being named to the 1st team of the All-Rookie team.  Let's hope that this is just a precursor to a long and storied career as a perennial All-Pro!

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/sports-info-solutions-names-cordell-volson-first-team-all-rookie-guard

Great stuff, Sunset.  Let's hope they can find some really strong OTs in the next draft as well.  
Reply/Quote
Volson appears to have had a solid rookie season,and that’s a good thing.I think he’ll make a good LG for years to come.
The Bengals just have terrible luck on trying to build an OL.The line was coming together really good,and now we get injuries to RG and RT.Disappointing.
Reply/Quote

If you take the raw stats of rookies who played 50% or more of max snaps, Volson ranks right in the middle, across the board out of 7 total guys that qualified. 

As far as all guards go...that's a different story. He's near the bottom. 

Cole Strange and Spencer Burford are prob the 2 best rookie Gs this season. Burford was top 15 in least pressures and Strange was in the top half. The other 5 were all in the bottom 7. 

Volson's worst games, per pressure, came in divisional games but that shouldn't really surprise anyone with the guys that are in the North. The opener against Pitt was by far his worst game and causes his overall numbers to be slightly higher than if he would have had an average game against them. 

Numbers-wise, Volson's year equals Boling's worst year in 2015 and if you give any weight at all to grades, Boling was graded much higher. 

Volson isn't on Boling's level right now but that doesn't mean he can't get there. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Let me just say this...

A 65 is an average grade on PFF. Volson's grades for last week were 31.4 (overall), 29.6 (run block), 40.5 (pass block). The 20s and 30s are red. the 40 is orange.

Those grades are absolute bullshit. I did what i told Synric i wouldn't do. I went back and watched game, specifically Volson on every snap. Whoever graded that game should never be allowed to grade another game in their life and since 2 guys look at it, that's 2 guys that should never be allowed to grade a game again. 

There's no way in hell Volson should have been graded below simply average. 60-65 at worst. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2023, 02:52 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Let me just say this...

A 65 is an average grade on PFF. Volson's grades for last week were 31.4 (overall), 29.6 (run block), 40.5 (pass block). The 20s and 30s are red. the 40 is orange.

Those grades are absolute bullshit. I did what i told Synric i wouldn't do. I went back and watched game, specifically Volson on every snap. Whoever graded that game should never be allowed to grade another game in their life and since 2 guys look at it, that's 2 guys that should never be allowed to grade a game again. 

There's no way in hell Volson should have been graded below simply average. 60-65 at worst. 

Goodberry disagrees with you.
Reply/Quote

He made the MBO All Rookie team.. I doubt it counts since MBO is My Biased Opinion..  Mellow
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
IMO, Volson has done an admirable job. Sure he's made some mistakes, missed some blocks, gave up some pressures. Like a couple others have said his first couple games tainted his stats a bit. And he's improved quite a lot from where he was.

Like our old buddy Fred always used to say. Usually NFL players take their biggest jump in year two. And I'm anxious to see how much improvement he still has in him?
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2023, 09:39 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: On being named to the 1st team of the All-Rookie team.  Let's hope that this is just a precursor to a long and storied career as a perennial All-Pro!

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/sports-info-solutions-names-cordell-volson-first-team-all-rookie-guard

Love this, Congratulations Cordell!  Wink

Dude seriously has played pretty damn great for a rookie. Credit Ted, Jonah, Alex and La'el for helping adapt so quickly as well. Smirk
Reply/Quote
This guy has come a long way since his first game against Cam Hayward. Way to go Cordell!

Here's the article from Cincy Jungle

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2023/1/13/23554277/cordell-volson-nfl-all-rookie-honors-bengals-news#comments

Here's the stat that stood out to me.

"He finished with a 2.6% blown block rate, but only a 1.2% blown block rate on run plays, which tied him for 9th-best among all {NFL} guards with at least 500 snaps played.”

Tiger
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2023, 02:58 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Goodberry disagrees with you.

Honestly, i don't give a single shit what Goodberry thinks. 

Not that i'm saying he's better than average or even will be. He's just not as bad as he was given credit for against Balt.

Reply/Quote
I didn't see this one was already posted. Mod please merge into:

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Congratulations-Cordell-Volson
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2023, 03:55 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Honestly, i don't give a single shit what Goodberry thinks. 

Not that i'm saying he's better than average or even will be. He's just not as bad as he was given credit for against Balt.

I’m just saying, I’ll take his analysis over yours
Reply/Quote