Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connor Barwin visiting
Sick

A DE who has been on the decline for the last 3 season being cut by his team, Sound like classic MB bargain basement hunting to appease fans who have lost 2 pro bowl calibre players.
Reply/Quote
Some of the BPA's in this draft are DE's....
Reply/Quote
Mike will low ball him, he'll leave, and then Mike can argue that we do have outside free agents visit.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I'd love Barwin but I'm not getting my hopes up.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 11:40 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: Adam Caplan ‏Verified account @caplannfl  24m24 minutes ago

Former #Eagles DE Connor Barwin is expected to visit the #Bengals on Monday, league source said. It's his first visit since release.

I wouldn't mind seeing a former Bearcat in stripes. Would be good as a pass rusher.

I think he could be an excellent rotational pass rusher allowing us to go after Foster or Corey Davis in the first and then grabbing a DE in the 2nd/3rd.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 06:30 AM)Bengalboy Wrote: Sick

A DE who has been on the decline for the last 3 season being cut by his team, Sound like classic MB bargain basement hunting to appease fans who have lost 2 pro bowl calibre players.

He has had more sacks than MJ each of the past 4 years. I think he still has some tread on the tires. Who knows he might even play better here in his home town. I would still go DE in the first depending on who's there. It would give us good depth at the DE position at least.
Reply/Quote
I don't look at his 14 sack year then the following years as a decline, I look at his body of work over the long haul and he is a 5-7 sack guy. I think as a rotational pass rusher we can get that out of him which would be a nice bonus. We obviously still look DE, but remember we really only have 3 on the roster, and if we get a guy like Thomas he can swing inside and outside so it doesn't effect our roster "count" too bad. The thing here is if we sign him, it doesn't force us to go DE early if we don't have a guy there we like. If there is a run on DE's leading to 9 we don't have to reach in round 1 and can grab someone like Demarcus Walker in the 2nd.

I like the move if we can sign him.
Reply/Quote
As a UC alumni, I really like Connor Barwin. However, he struggled when switch from a 3-4 to a 4-3. Seems like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole from a personnel perspective..

He checks all the boxes that the Bengals are looking for, released, local ties, on the decline. Seems like a round peg in a round hole from Bengal's perspective.
Reply/Quote
Anything is better than Margus Hunt.

What would the roster look like for DL? Do they go with 9?
DE: Dunlap, MJ, Barwin, Clarke, draft pick
DT: Atkins, Billings, Hardison/Williams/Thompson, Sims / draft pick?

Or do the Bengals drop Sims, not draft a DT, and go with two of Hardison, Williams, and Thompson?

I would imagine only one of the above three because none are really backup NT material, so the Bengals would have to keep Sims or a mid-late round NT-type draft pick.

And if Barwin is picked up, do the Bengals seek a draft pick that is a base 4-3 DE and nickel DT? Or true edge rusher? I would imagine the former if trying for win-now success, but the Bengals have never shown to be in win-now mode, so who knows?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The best chance we have this year is to stack our D. Sign Barwin and draft Foster.

We will need to go to the Super Bowl version of the Ravens on offense. Scoring 14 points will be a big deal next year.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 09:12 AM)TKUHL Wrote: He has had more sacks than MJ each of the past 4 years. I think he still has some tread on the tires. Who knows he might even play better here in his home town. I would still go DE in the first depending on who's there. It would give us good depth at the DE position at least.

So because we make one bad decision on a guy or one guy doesn't work out we make another and hope?
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 09:36 AM)Au165 Wrote: I don't look at his 14 sack year then the following years as a decline, I look at his body of work over the long haul and he is a 5-7 sack guy. I think as a rotational pass rusher we can get that out of him which would be a nice bonus. We obviously still look DE, but remember we really only have 3 on the roster, and if we get a guy like Thomas he can swing inside and outside so it doesn't effect our roster "count" too bad. The thing here is if we sign him, it doesn't force us to go DE early if we don't have a guy there we like. If there is a run on DE's leading to 9 we don't have to reach in round 1 and can grab someone like Demarcus Walker in the 2nd.

I like the move if we can sign him.

If the price is dirt cheap and he is simply a 3rd down pass rusher then so be it i wont complain, but its nothing more than that. Considering the talent level we have lost over the last 2 season both on and off the field we should be looking to do much much better. But this is the Level MB rolls at.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 09:46 AM)BleedNOrange Wrote: As a UC alumni, I really like Connor Barwin.  However, he struggled when switch from a 3-4 to a 4-3.  Seems like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole from a personnel perspective..

He checks all the boxes that the Bengals are looking for, released, local ties, on the decline.  Seems like a round peg in a round hole from Bengal's perspective.

Hammer and Nail. 
Reply/Quote
sign Barwin, cut Michael Johnson....done deal

Even if you dont cut MJ, I think Barwin can be used in a multiple of different formations for us in addition to his pass rushing ability
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Love what the Eagles fans have to say about him...

http://boards.philadelphiaeagles.com/topic/730764-news-eagles-release-de-connor-barwin/

He was always better as a linebacker pass-rusher but can still get decent production as a 4-3 end.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
The only question you should ask is " does he improve our team? " Yes he does

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 10:26 AM)Bengalboy Wrote: If the price is dirt cheap and he is simply a 3rd down pass rusher then so be it i wont complain, but its nothing more than that. Considering the talent level we have lost over the last 2 season both on and off the field we should be looking to do much much better. But this is the Level MB rolls at.

You can't judge the value of this move by basing it off losses at other positions. He upgrades us at DE no matter what we do on the offensive line. We snagged Terrance Newman off the scrap heap when everyone said he was done and he gave us two or three really good years of play. It may not work, but it's a good fallback plan if a guy we like isn't around for us to take.
Reply/Quote
Would be ideal to sign him and cut MJ.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
Would be a solid signing depending on how much he wants. If he wants to get paid like a 14 sack guy in his prime? Bye.

If he wants to get paid like a guy coming off a 5 sack season at 31 years old (in October)? Sign him up now.

I really wish we were looking at o-linemen though...
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I would like for this to happen simply because we need any proven pass rush help we can get but in an article on bengals.com Hobspin talked about how we are more in kick the tires mode right now with bringing in Barwin and Andre Smith for visits. 27 million in cap room still and we are afraid to spend anything after a 6-9 season and all the losses we have had on the roster. Pretty sad.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote