Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Containing CJ Stroud
Total disclosure: I’m an Ohio State alumnus and I loved CJ Stroud as a Buckeye — but now he’s a Texan and he needs to be defeated. Most Ohio State quarterbacks fail miserably in the NFL but Stroud seems to be absolutely thriving.

Let’s look at him objectively and see what Lou Anarumo will be facing this week. First of all, Stroud has thrown 14 touchdown passes to only one interception all year; that’s extremely impressive. This means he is super accurate and the Houston receivers are running great routes.

Also, Stroud holds two interesting records: Most passing attempts without an interception to start a career with 192 and the most passing yards in a game by a rookie with 470. Those are insane numbers and I think Stroud will be Offensive Rookie of the Year.

The only way I see to stop Stroud is with constant pressure generated by blitzes and stunts combined with tight coverage downfield. In no way do I consider the Texans an easy out.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 09:38 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Total disclosure: I’m an Ohio State alumnus and I loved CJ Stroud as a Buckeye — but now he’s a Texan and he needs to be defeated. Most Ohio State quarterbacks fail miserably in the NFL but Stroud seems to be absolutely thriving.

Let’s look at him objectively and see what Lou Anarumo will be facing this week. First of all, Stroud has thrown 14 touchdown passes to only one interception all year; that’s extremely impressive. This means he is super accurate and the Houston receivers are running great routes.

Also, Stroud holds two interesting records: Most passing attempts without an interception to start a career with 192 and the most passing yards in a game by a rookie with 470. Those are insane numbers and I think Stroud will be Offensive Rookie of the Year.

The only way I see to stop Stroud is with constant pressure generated by blitzes and stunts combined with tight coverage downfield. In no way do I consider the Texans an easy out.

He’s due. Wink

Reply/Quote
You gotta blitz him and get him off his timing

CJ has Burrow-like processing ability and CJ can make every throw. Gotta play WRs tight.

I’m very early but Trey H is the most important player in this game
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Lou just needs to do what he does every week and change the picture pre to post snap. That's the best way to attack rookies give them a bunch of different looks.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
The only real chink in his armor might be his completion percentage. 62 percent is kind of average.
Reply/Quote
Stroud is definitely on pace to be ROY. He has been pretty insane so far.

But he is about to face the hottest team right now playing top level complimentary football on both sides of the ball. THey haven't really faced a team like the Bengals right now since week 1 against the Ravens.

Bengals just have to keep doing what they are doing.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Well unless something has changed, he's pretty much a pocket passer and not a person who stretches out plays or takes off like they've faced the last two weeks.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Stroud and the Texans offense have been very hot/cold this season. Defense will have their work cut out for them in coverage, but Joe Burrow and the offense just keep unfolding new things that other teams haven't seen from them on film this season.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
We are the better team.

I have no doubt in my mind that this team will find a way to win.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Stroud has faced some pretty crap defenses (particularly pass defenses) this season. Also look at the point results - they either get a bunch (3 games) or struggle to score. Lou likes on defense (as stated upthread) to disguise and change between pre and post snap to slow down the QBs processing by invalidating the pre snap read. Let's see what the result is here.
Reply/Quote
Let’s not make him out to be some kind of phenom.

Hes going to win ROY and if I was a Panthers fan I’d be feeling sick right now however, he’s lost to some really shit teams has a poor OL in front of him and their run game is non existent.

Trey will give him nightmares all game and I’d back our secondary to mop up any deep balls he throws.

It is a potential upset game so we have to have our heads switched on and give them the respect they deserve but if we want to show we r really are a contender this is the type of game we should be running up a big score and it would be another win in the AFC.
Reply/Quote
Well, let's see, the Texans have only faced 3 good teams so far and lost 2 of them (they beat the Jaguars in impressive fashion). They lost to both the Dolphins and the Ravens and in both games failed to score a TD and only scored 3 points against the Fins.

Not to take away anything from Stroud because dude does look legit (has a few game winning drives already), however, it does look like the Texans are in the mediocre range where they beat the bad teams (except the Panthers lol) and lose to the good teams (Jags game notwithstanding).

I'm not saying this is an easy win, but we are a good team so as long as we do our thing, we should win.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
You guys are gonna be surprised at how quick he is processing defenses

and you shouldn’t be because I’m telling you right now he’s already top 10 at doing it

This game looks like it’s gonna be hard because CJ but i believe the talent gap will show up and we’ll win by 3 scores

The Texans just don’t have the roster to beat us even if Stroud is amazing
-Housh
Reply/Quote
This Texans team is a up and down one. They scored 13 against the pathetic Panthers one week ago; 20 against the Saints two weeks ago; and they just manage to beat a decadent Buccaneers squad yesterday.

Stroud stats last three games:

05/11 - vs Bucs: 71,4% PC, 470 yards, 5 TDs and 0 INTs;

29/10 - @ Panthers: 66,7% PC, 140 yards, 0 TD AND 0 INT;

15/10 - vs Saints: 48,1% PC, 199 yards, 2 TDs and 1 INT;

Tampa Bay D is one of the worst of the league, but we gotta give Stroud credit for his numbers. As you can see, he's beatable and far from being consistent. So relax.
Reply/Quote
I expect a scheme similar to what we saw last night against Allen, adjusting as needed.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 11:54 AM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: Let’s not make him out to be some kind of phenom.

Hes going to win ROY and if I was a Panthers fan I’d be feeling sick right now however, he’s lost to some really shit teams has a poor OL in front of him and their run game is non existent.

Trey will give him nightmares all game and I’d back our secondary to mop up any deep balls he throws.

It is a potential upset game so we have to have our heads switched on and give them the respect they deserve but if we want to show we r really are a contender this is the type of game we should be running up a big score and it would be another win in the AFC.

He’s not there yet

But he’s already a top 15 QB and if anyone wants I’ll do the work and list the guys but i admittedly don’t feel like it because i wouldn’t be able to until at least after 5 today
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 12:07 PM)Rattler Wrote: I expect a scheme similar to what we saw last night against Allen, adjusting as needed.

Only difference is our deep safety doesn’t have to be so far back

The announcers said it yesterday. Whoever was deep was playing very deep because Allen’s arm

Should actually help us get more run support

If the secondary stays disciplined in their coverage we’ll win

The Texans roster just can’t keep up if we play mistake free
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 09:38 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Total disclosure: I’m an Ohio State alumnus and I loved CJ Stroud as a Buckeye — but now he’s a Texan and he needs to be defeated.  Most Ohio State quarterbacks fail miserably in the NFL but Stroud seems to be absolutely thriving.  

Let’s look at him objectively and see what Lou Anarumo will be facing this week.  First of all, Stroud has thrown 14 touchdown passes to only one interception all year; that’s extremely impressive.  This means he is super accurate and the Houston receivers are running great routes.

Also, Stroud holds two interesting records: Most passing attempts without an interception to start a career with 192 and the most passing yards in a game by a rookie with 470.  Those are insane numbers and I think Stroud will be Offensive Rookie of the Year.

The only way I see to stop Stroud is with constant pressure generated by blitzes and stunts combined with tight coverage downfield.  In no way do I consider the Texans an easy out.

Actually, Stroud's completion percentage is middling and he is bottom 3 in off-target throws in the league. So he has not been super accurate. But he has not made big mistakes, and he throws it down the field well. 
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 12:06 PM)Bengalion Wrote: This Texans team is a up and down one. They scored 13 against the pathetic Panthers one week ago; 20 against the Saints two weeks ago; and they just manage to beat a decadent Buccaneers squad yesterday.

Stroud stats last three games:

05/11 - vs Bucs: 71,4% PC, 470 yards, 5 TDs and 0 INTs;

29/10 - @ Panthers: 66,7% PC, 140 yards, 0 TD AND 0 INT;

15/10 - vs Saints: 48,1% PC, 199 yards, 2 TDs and 1 INT;

Tampa Bay D is one of the worst of the league, but we gotta give Stroud credit for his numbers. As you can see, he's beatable and far from being consistent. So relax.

Don't forget that they put it on Pittsburgh and Jacksonville..  That team can score some points, our defense just has to keep changing the picture between pre-snap and post.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 12:01 PM)Housh Wrote: You guys are gonna be surprised at how quick he is processing defenses

and you shouldn’t be because I’m telling you right now he’s already top 10 at doing it

This game looks like it’s gonna be hard because CJ but i believe the talent gap will show up and we’ll win by 3 scores

The Texans just don’t have the roster to beat us even if Stroud is amazing

I hope the Bengals win by 3 scores; with a Thursday-night game coming up just 4 days later, they really need to rest some players.
Reply/Quote