Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Cooley believes Marvin will retire at the end of the season
Way to sidestep the Marvin Lewis subforum. I would give you crap about the 50 post rule, but I see you've been here for a year. Get with the program..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2016, 04:37 PM)Stewy Wrote: These haven't been "reports".  They've been speculation.  National media has been having marvin leaving for the last 8 years.  They don't know squat, and are just looking for internet hits.

Agree, Cooley doesn't even throw in the obligatory "From anonymous sources close to the situation" tag line.  I also feel that this is dreamy speculation.  In other words, Fake News..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2016, 04:40 PM)Stewy Wrote: and to a less talented defense....

I'm pretty sure they could block any move other than a HC gig form him.  Cooley's either unaware of this or thinks that the Bengals brass will let a new HC hire his own staff, causing an exodus of current assistants.  Right.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2016, 02:36 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Why would Guenther make a lateral move?

Well if Marvin walks/canned you'd expect the new guy to bring in his own staff
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2016, 07:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well if Marvin walks/canned you'd expect the new guy to bring in his own staff

Do you really see a new head coach coming in here and having full control of his staff right out the gate?  It took Marvin years to get the amount of control he has now.  

That's why I fully expect an inside-hire when Marvin finally does hang it up.  Less turn-over for Mike and Katie to deal with.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2016, 07:29 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Do you really see a new head coach coming in here and having full control of his staff right out the gate?  It took Marvin years to get the amount of control he has now.  

That's why I fully expect an inside-hire when Marvin finally does hang it up.  Less turn-over for Mike and Katie to deal with.

I think it's become more of the norm.

Usually when a HC gets canned, the staff either assumes they're getting canned and start looking for jobs, or they get let go along with him to give the new HC freedom to implement his own system. I can't say with position coaches, I think most of those stay the same, but when there's a HC change, the OC/DC usually change, too.
Reply/Quote
What Benton said in post 19 is spot on I do believe.

Marvin isn't going to walk away from 5 million dollars in a zero pressure job where he has no accountability. And it would be a huge shock for MB to fire him, just ain't gonna happen - the loyalty thing ya know.

The one and only chance I believe we have is if MB and ML sit down and agree to a ML upgrade to _____________, name the title.

Most likely Marvin will be back, we'll rebound to 9-7, back into the playoffs and get bounced in wildcard round again.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2016, 04:00 PM)Benton Wrote: 3— He's conceded. Most people realize when you do the same thing over and over only to fail again and again... you need to do something different. Marvin keeps plugging along with the mindset that if at first you don't succeed, try and try and try and try and try and try and try and try again. Because the only way you can prove everyone else is wrong is to keep making the same mistake until it works. And he's smug enough to think it will.
Yup.

All you have to do is listen to what he says in interviews. 

Basically he believes that the players are given all of the tools to succeed and that they are the full reason for failure.

Even though time and time again Marvin's in game decisions are questioned by professional analysts.

Not to mention that the players that are truly not executing plays are not held accountable and he keeps trotting out there.

A good man, let alone a coach, can admit when he has made an error.  Not Marvin.  He won't say it.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2016, 08:13 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Yup.

All you have to do is listen to what he says in interviews. 

Basically he believes that the players are given all of the tools to succeed and that they are the full reason for failure.

Even though time and time again Marvin's in game decisions are questioned by professional analysts.

Not to mention that the players that are truly not executing plays are not held accountable and he keeps trotting out there.

A good man, let alone a coach, can admit when he has made an error.  Not Marvin.  He won't say it.

Yep,

How many times even years ago have you heard Marvin say in a presser "this one's on me" or "we made some bad decisions" or whatever referring to coaching ?

It's always "we have to play better"
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2016, 02:18 PM)Whatever Wrote: Other rumors have been reported that he will be fired at the end of the year.  Why not retire and save face if you're gone, anyways?

The chances of that happens are even less ? That's still "money on the table" situation we're at, but MB would then care
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2016, 07:29 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Do you really see a new head coach coming in here and having full control of his staff right out the gate?  It took Marvin years to get the amount of control he has now.  

Did it?

Marvin was on record very early on that he was a firm believer in something Brian Billick did upon arriving in Baltimore, retaining the guys who were fits for the type of system you wish to run.  He only retained 6 of 15 of the assistants and staff when he arrived, do you really think that he couldn't have changed more had he desired?
Reply/Quote
There is one more season on Marvin Lewis' contract and Mike Brown will hold him to it. Marvin isn't going anywhere.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2016, 10:13 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: There is one more season on Marvin Lewis' contract and Mike Brown will hold him to it.  Marvin isn't going anywhere.

Haven't we seen this all before? 

Shit year but Marvin has 1 year left so we let him play it out, he starts hot and gets a 2 year extension on his contract then goes on to lose yet another playoff game.
Reply/Quote
Who the hell knows with Mike Brown.

He gave Dave Shula a two year extension after going 3-13, and 8-24 in his first two seasons ('92-93)...
but then he fired Dick LeBeau after also going 2-14, and 8-24 in his first two full seasons ('01-02).

You also have to wonder how big of a say katie has in whether Marvin stays or goes, and what she's thinking.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2016, 10:42 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: Haven't we seen this all before? 

Shit year but Marvin has 1 year left so we let him play it out, he starts hot and gets a 2 year extension on his contract then goes on to lose yet another playoff game.

Exactly. If the Bengals finish 7-9 or better in 2017 it's like the NFL version of Groundhog Day: Two more seasons of disappointment in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
Thoughts on this?

Don't think it will happen.. but not sure.

According to some guy at ESPN890, He believes (according to his sources) that ML will retire and if that happens, Paul Guenther will go to the Redskins to be the DC unless he becomes HC.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/12/27/14089060/report-marvin-lewis-will-retire-at-end-of-2016-season
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
I'm calling bs.

Reply/Quote
Oh god if this is true PLEASE let Guenther go to Washington... If this does happen (I'd wager lots of $$ that it won't), it will be Vance Joseph
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2016, 01:43 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Oh god if this is true PLEASE let Guenther go to Washington... If this does happen (I'd wager lots of $$ that it won't), it will be Vance Joseph

Guenther cannot go anywhere unless it is as a head coach. He's contractually obligated here....besides, Guenther is not the problem here. After a somewhat slow start, the defense is actually playing well. Our last 5 losses have come at a combined 16 points. It's not the defense, it's the lack of scoring on offense.
Reply/Quote
Stop and think about it.

Why the hell would Marvin Lewis give up millions of dollars and end his career on a low note?

I am betting that Marvin is super motivated to get back to winning next season. All of these coaches have huge egos and hate to lose more than anything.
Reply/Quote