Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cordell Volson-Can be one of the best
per Orlando Brown

I hope he is a great prognosticator!

https://www.bengals.com/news/lg-cordell-volson-has-a-new-fan-in-his-new-left-tackle

"He's got that Pro Bowl potential with his size and mental makeup," Brown says of Volson after one of the voluntary practices before next week's mandatory minicamp. "I think he really uses his height to his advantage. His mindset and his length are two things that are really going to separate him in the long run.

"I think he has the natural talent and ability to become one of the best in the league at what he does."

"(Brown) gives me tips on how those guys would do some things," Volson says. "He'll say, 'Marshal did this,' or 'Joe did that.' It adds tools to the toolbox and maybe it works for me and maybe it doesn't.

"It's always interesting and cool to hear the perspective of guys who have done it somewhere else. See the way they do things. You can see it from the 30,000-foot view."

"It's a good time of year to be refining fundamentals," Brown says. "Get the timing of your double teams down. Get down to details because we're not scheming up the defense. It gives me time to talk to (Volson), see what he's seen, which allows me to feel what he's feeling and we can get to the point where there's an understanding even if something isn't communicated. He really loves the game. He studies."

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(06-06-2023, 12:07 PM)pally Wrote: per Orlando Brown

https://www.bengals.com/news/lg-cordell-volson-has-a-new-fan-in-his-new-left-tackle

"He's got that Pro Bowl potential with his size and mental makeup," Brown says of Volson after one of the voluntary practices before next week's mandatory minicamp. "I think he really uses his height to his advantage. His mindset and his length are two things that are really going to separate him in the long run.

"I think he has the natural talent and ability to become one of the best in the league at what he does."

"(Brown) gives me tips on how those guys would do some things," Volson says. "He'll say, 'Marshal did this,' or 'Joe did that.' It adds tools to the toolbox and maybe it works for me and maybe it doesn't.

"It's always interesting and cool to hear the perspective of guys who have done it somewhere else. See the way they do things. You can see it from the 30,000-foot view."

"It's a good time of year to be refining fundamentals," Brown says. "Get the timing of your double teams down. Get down to details because we're not scheming up the defense. It gives me time to talk to (Volson), see what he's seen, which allows me to feel what he's feeling and we can get to the point where there's an understanding even if something isn't communicated. He really loves the game. He studies."
It's now not just Karras and Cappa saying it Frank....
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2023, 12:07 PM)pally Wrote: per Orlando Brown

This is obviously better than saying something negative or saying nothing at all, but it's still more about potential than production at this phase.
I'm hopeful Volson will eventually become a solid-or-better starter, but he was not quite there last year. He did make improvements over the year though, which is encouraging.
Hopefully with Brown next to him now, he'll really blossom this year or next.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Going from North Dakota State to a starter in the NFL in one year is one heck of a jump and Cordell didn't look like he was
overwhelmed at all last year and even had moments of domination against some of the best DT's in the league. Expecting a
big time leap in his play in his sophomore season especially with a LT like Orlando Brown next to him that doesn't get pushed
around like Jonah does.
Reply/Quote
I think it's fair to say Volson is the weak link and they're doing what they can to help him along. Which is what leadership does. Imagine having those two vets flanking you: Orlando Brown Jr. and Ted Karras. Both in the primes of their careers with 3 SB's between them already. That's what it's about. CV's in good hands. Be a sponge, dude.
Reply/Quote
We couldn't very well have a thread praising Cordell Volson without hearing from his primary proponent whose been beating the drum for him since day one, now could we? Cool

Love the confidence that his teammates have in him, I feel like he's going to emerge as a major force this season.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I thought the Tampa game is where Volson started making the turn into being a formidable OG in the NFL. With his work ethic and attitude, he will only continue to improve.
Reply/Quote
Hopefully OB feels the same when they put on pads and start blocking
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Love this kid. Awesome story and I look forward to following his career. Getting some nice praise from some pretty qualified sources.
Reply/Quote
Boling Jr? Hopefully
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2023, 12:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This is obviously better than saying something negative or saying nothing at all, but it's still more about potential than production at this phase.
I'm hopeful Volson will eventually become a solid-or-better starter, but he was not quite there last year. He did make improvements over the year though, which is encouraging.
Hopefully with Brown next to him now, he'll really blossom this year or next.

Of course he wasn't there last year, he was a flippin rookie.....
Reply/Quote
Volson will be an interesting watch for certain. I really think the left side is pretty big. We’ll see how they do. They darn sure won’t be pushed around. You have to think that Volson will be improved. Listening last night to the Locked on Bengals podcast. Both were at practice. They seemed very impressed with the OL. As far as RT Jonah had a video squatting 605 lbs. Carman looks in the best shape of his life. Collins had a video last month showing he was farther along than most thought. I keep mentioning the lost in the conversation is Cappa and Karras. The second year together must be a benefit. I hate to get too giddy about the OL but if….and it’s a big one…. we can have a top 10 OL this offense will produce the best offense in the NFL. I seriously don’t think many realize how much it’s held back what we’ve wanted to do on offense
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
OB knows a glass eater when he sees one.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 09:47 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: OB knows a glass eater when he sees one.

Right, LOL

I haven't given up hope for Volson. All things considered I felt he did a decent job last year, as a rookie. Like others have said it's going to be interesting to see how he comes along now that he's in between two great players.
Reply/Quote
We need to remember Volson improved a lot over the course of the season. He started rough but by the end was playing at league average or a bit above. We have the pff breakdown by game in this forum that shows this upward trajectory.
Reply/Quote
I understand a lot of Bengals fans have PTSD when it comes to offensive lineman drafted by the Bengals. A lot of fans wanted Volson replaced by a veteran FA this offseason because we assume every lineman we draft will be a bust. I’m willing to see if he can continue to develop . Volson playing well on a cheap rookie deal would be huge for us considering the big money deals with have coming up
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 09:14 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Volson will be an interesting watch for certain. I really think the left side is pretty big. We’ll see how they do. They darn sure won’t be pushed around. You have to think that Volson will be improved. Listening last night to the Locked on Bengals podcast. Both were at practice. They seemed very impressed with the OL. As far as RT Jonah had a video squatting 605 lbs. Carman looks in the best shape of his life. Collins had a video last month showing he was farther along than most thought. I keep mentioning the lost in the conversation is Cappa and Karras. The second year together must be a benefit. I hate to get too giddy about the OL but if….and it’s a big one…. we can have a top 10 OL this offense will produce the best offense in the NFL. I seriously don’t think many realize how much it’s held back what we’ve wanted to do on offense

If Zeus Jr and Volson are on the field, it is THE biggest starting left side of the line in the league. Cappa said he feels better than he has at any point in his football career. 
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 02:50 PM)Sled21 Wrote: If Zeus Jr and Volson are on the field, it is THE biggest starting left side of the line in the league. Cappa said he feels better than he has at any point in his football career. 

Thought they would be up there as far as size of the left side. All I know is Volson works his ass off big time. I couldn't help but notice
last Offseason how hard he was working right after we drafted him. Expecting him to be doing just the same this year and he should 
really improve now that he got his feet wet against the best as a rookie. He is no longer a rookie that is for damn sure, has Playoff 
experience on top of starting his entire rookie year at LG.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 12:23 PM)Joelist Wrote: We need to remember Volson improved a lot over the course of the season. He started rough but by the end was playing at league average or a bit above. We have the pff breakdown by game in this forum that shows this upward trajectory.

Nope. I already disputed this and showed the post you are citing. I guess you missed it. Or ignored it. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 05:10 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Nope. I already disputed this and showed the post you are citing. I guess you missed it. Or ignored it. 

I remember it was late in the season last year after playing the Titans and stealers where there was somebody showing Volson with 
very high PFF grades. It is PFF so take that with a grain of salt. But to play good against Jeffrey Simmons and Cam Heyward is a pretty 
good sign for a rookie Guard.
Reply/Quote