Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cordell Volson and this offensive line
(03-24-2024, 07:10 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: They seem dead set on Pollack and Volson being here.

I've said many times this offseason that they need to get a LG or a C (and then move Karras back to LG), but I also agree with people who then generally point out to me that they don't seem like they are willing to do so.

I know PFF isn't gospel, but Volson had a 44.4 pass blocking grade heading into the last week, over 12 points lower than the 4th worst. That is not average, that is terrible, and if you can't pass block in this pass heavy offense with the highest paid QB in the NFL coming off another surgery, you're a wasted starting spot.

Yeah it's a given that these guys are supported above.  I do think though they'll take advantage of at least one of these paths to competition at LG.

1. IF and only if the high drafted tackle (within the first 3 rds) of the future is comfortable getting work at LG. 

2. If we don't trade our picks, there is too much quality not to draft a 2nd rookie.  At some point they'll be taking a center of the future, a quality guard or even maybe a versatile tackle.  

3.  After the draft, a ring chasing vet may give them a discount.  
Reply/Quote
Had to have a RT, and nobody has any illusions they were going to move on from Volson so what’s the point? I think we for sure upgraded RT so that’s a good thing.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
1st point, nobody has let Volson slide. He has been critiqued as much as anyone on the team.

Having said that, yes Volson has only played 2 years so you cant expect him to be All Pro but he will be 26 years old this season. If he doesnt show significant improvement this year then when does he do it? In a couple more years when he is 28? At what point do you hold him accountable? Jackson Carman has had far less snaps in his time as a Bengal but yet he graded out higher than Volson their rookie seasons and Carman will still only be just 24 this season. Nobody has a problem critiquing Carman who is younger and had less opportunities. Is an older, more experienced Volson not allowed to be critiqued?

Regardless of how old or young Volson/Carman or anyone else is, they need to produce. If they are subpar, they need replaced. If you want to give them an opportunity to learn and get better I can agree but do it as a backup while better talent is brought in to contribute more at that starting position.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2024, 03:07 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Everyone here does not have a say in it, and the coaches, who evaluate NFL talent, obviously disagree with you.

They coaches can disagree all they want but the results on the field dont lie.   Everyone can see it with their own eyes. The O-line has been bad and Volson has been a large part of that.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2024, 12:20 PM)Housh Wrote: IMHO we needed a RT and a LG equally. Volson i guess ended the season league average but the guy i saw is NEVER gonna be above average. Hes not strong or fast enough.

Im fairly surprised he doesn’t have a huge thread on here.

Everyone must be cool with him starting?

If ur prioritizing LG the same as Right tackle football must be brand new to you
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2024, 12:20 PM)Housh Wrote: IMHO we needed a RT and a LG equally. Volson i guess ended the season league average but the guy i saw is NEVER gonna be above average. Hes not strong or fast enough.

Im fairly surprised he doesn’t have a huge thread on here.

Everyone must be cool with him starting?

I think it's less of us, "letting it slide," and more of, "we know how the team feels about him, so nothing will be done, so why bother?"
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 08:12 AM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: If ur prioritizing LG the same as Right tackle football must be brand new to you

Actually, a pretty good argument could be made for focusing on the interior 3 of an OL and filling the T spots with just adequate talent, especially on a team with a QB that likes to extend the play and struggles to convert short yardage situations by rushing.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 09:21 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Actually, a pretty good argument could be made for focusing on the interior 3 of an OL and filling the T spots with just adequate talent, especially on a team with a QB that likes to extend the play and struggles to convert short yardage situations by rushing.

If I remember right, at one point in the season last year our interior 3 were the highest rated trio in the NFL
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 09:45 AM)Sled21 Wrote: If I remember right, at one point in the season last year our interior 3 were the highest rated trio in the NFL

When they line up under Center and make balanced play calls, it allows those 3 to work to their strengths and allows them to achieve a degree of success.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 09:54 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: When they line up under Center and make balanced play calls, it allows those 3 to work to their strengths and allows them to achieve a degree of success.

Was Volson really the problem?
https://gridironheroics.com/overview-bengals-offensive-line-make-jump/

Quote:[color=var(--c-post-meta)][color=var(--c-headings)]REPORT: Bengals Offensive Line Close to Being Top 10 in NFL
[color=var(--c-contrast-500)]Cincinnati will attempt to finally solve their offensive line problems going into 2024.[/color]
[Image: cropped-Headshot-32x32.jpg]By Timothy McBrideJanuary 23, 2024Updated:March 17, 2024No Comments4 Mins Read
[/color]
FacebookTwitterPinterest[/url][/color]

[url=https://www.linkedin.com/shareArticle?mini=true&url=https%3A%2F%2Fgridironheroics.com%2Foverview-bengals-offensive-line-make-jump%2F][/url]
[color=var(--c-contrast-800)]This may be a bold take on the situation but the Cincinnati Bengals have invested quite a bit in their offensive line over the past few seasons and the unit is improving exponentially over the past few seasons.  In 2021 and 2022, the Cincinnati Bengals were ranked 29th and 31st in Pro Football Focus (PFF) pass blocking scores.  After the Super Bowl loss in 2021 and the dramatic inability of the offensive line to even remotely block elite defensive tackle [url=https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/16716/aaron-donald]Aaron Donald
, the team went out and signed free agents center Ted Karras, guard Alex Kappa and tackle La’El Collins to improve the squad.

Part of the issue in 2022 was that Collins failed to live up to expectations and the performance of left tackle Jonah Williams nosedived on the new squad.  After the team finished 31st in their pass block score in 2021, the team then went out and splashed big money on top free agent left tackle Orlando Brown Jr. and bumped the beleaguered Williams to the right tackle position.  That move alone pushed Cincinnati from being 31st in the NFL to 22nd in 2023 after the team managed to play somewhat better against tougher competition.  However, after another season-ending injury to Burrow, it is apparent that there is more work to be done in the trenches.

Enduring a miserable contract year where he ranked 60th on the PFF list of offensive tackles in overall grade, it is likely that the team will finally allow Williams to walk in free agency.  While the team doesn’t have an heir apparent to their 2019 eleventh overall pick, the offseason projection shows that the team will likely pick up a long term starter with the 18th overall pick of the 2024 NFL Draft.  If they pick the right tackle, they can finally have an offensive line without any major weaknesses and will have the first year since 2020 where they have limited the position changes on the offensive line to one position.

While positions like wide receiver and defensive back are fairly simple in terms of picking individual players to win one-on-one matchups, the offensive line is a complicated animal to build.  Commonly called the best team players in any sport, offensive lineman depend far more on communication and cooperation than any other position on the field.  Complex run blocking schemes that include double teams, traps and pulls require players that are able to both overpower their opposition but also must be able to move quickly over short distances.  Far more important however(particularly in Cincinnati) is the lines ability to communicate with each other and pick up defensive blitzes and stunts.

After this season, the interior of the offensive line including left guard Cordell Volson, center Karras and right guard Cappa will have played together for three full seasons.  Volson will continue to develop as he will be entering his third NFL season and should finally put in solid numbers given his improvement as a second-year player.  Brown will have another year with Volson anchoring the left side and given there is likely only one positional change, the rest of the unit can help whoever plays right tackle acclimate faster than the others took.

With the elimination of their weakest link in Williams, the team should be able to make a big jump and be a top ten offensive line next season.

[/color]
Reply/Quote
I think the issues with the OL last year were largely (not only) related to communication. It seems that our interior guys got beat to shit on stunts a lot. They really need to figure out the communication issues and the play between their heads.

I think this is a make or break season for not only Pollack, but Volson as well.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 09:58 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Was Volson really the problem?

No, I've never really saw him as the problem. Even in games where he's struggled against some of the top pass rushing talent in the NFL, I still see plenty of plays that tell me that he's doing alright.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 09:58 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Was Volson really the problem?

You quoted an article that states Volson "should finally post solid numbers' to White Knight him?

So, this means he had yet to put up "solid" numbers.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 11:49 AM)bfine32 Wrote: You quoted an article that states Volson "should finally post solid numbers' to White Knight him?

So, this means he had yet to put up "solid" numbers.

No, I posted it to point out he was not really the problem that some people want to make him. The problem was at RT. And I'm not against upgrading LG, I'm always about upgrading every position. But my eyes tell me Volson is better than his numbers PFF gives him. 
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 12:09 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: 1st point, nobody has let Volson slide.  He has been critiqued as much as anyone on the team.

Having said that, yes Volson has only played 2 years so you cant expect him to be All Pro but he will be 26 years old this season.  If he doesnt show significant improvement this year then when does he do it?  In a couple more years when he is 28?  At what point do you hold him accountable?  Jackson Carman has had far less snaps in his time as a Bengal but yet he graded out higher than Volson their rookie seasons and Carman will still only be just 24 this season.  Nobody has a problem critiquing Carman who is younger and had less opportunities.   Is an older, more experienced Volson not allowed to be critiqued?

Regardless of how old or young Volson/Carman or anyone else is, they need to produce.  If they are subpar, they need replaced.  If you want to give them an opportunity to learn and get better I can agree but do it as a backup while better talent is brought in to contribute more at that starting position.

Cappa said it took him 5 years, and said Volson is ahead of where he was at two years. 
Reply/Quote
Volson is the guy. But expect them to bring in a LG around rounds 5/6 to compete with Volson. It will be subtle but it’s coming
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 09:22 AM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: Volson is the guy.  But expect them to bring in a LG around rounds 5/6 to compete with Volson.  It will be subtle but it’s coming

And if that guy beats him out, so be it.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 10:59 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And if that guy beats him out, so be it.

Exactly.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 10:59 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And if that guy beats him out, so be it.

For sure, I wouldn't bet on it though if Volson gets more consistent especially in pass protection. He is a pretty good run blocker already
especially when blocking for a RB like Chase Brown who gets up to speed rapidly. This helps the entire OL and more under Center play 
from Burrow will make the entire OL look much better.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 08:42 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Cappa said it took him 5 years, and said Volson is ahead of where he was at two years. 

In another 3 years Volson will be 28 years old.  Lets hope it doesnt take 5 years for Volson to get Cappa's level as Cappa is only slightly above average as it is.  
Reply/Quote