Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cordell Volson and this offensive line
(12-17-2023, 04:08 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Yet most of the gurus on this board proclaim he is the weakest link....

He was. He’s been playing very well lately though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2023, 04:08 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Yet most of the gurus on this board proclaim he is the weakest link....

He was, he's improved. I was one of CV's biggest critics, yet I've asserted he's really come on as of late. 

Sometimes it's best to just let shit go. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
It's ok to acknowledge that some players can be absolute garbage and then play great and then go back again. Can be during a half, a game or part of the season. Some people are fast to both bury and crown a player.

Except for Nick Scott. Bury him then burn the shovel.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
Volson has almost made me a believer this week. The last couple games the offensive scheme has really helped the pass pro but the Vikings attacked the left side B Gaps with blitzes regularly and it seemed like Volson had his head on a swivel. Really nice game by Cordell Volson.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
The discussion on Volson was always premature. FCS player and it takes some awhile as well. Cappa and Karras weren’t world beaters out the gate. Just too bad Pollack with 4-5 starters returning and the other an experienced pro bowler that they couldn’t have been better from the start. Could have been real helpful with a hobbled Joey.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
IMHO we needed a RT and a LG equally. Volson i guess ended the season league average but the guy i saw is NEVER gonna be above average. Hes not strong or fast enough.

Im fairly surprised he doesn’t have a huge thread on here.

Everyone must be cool with him starting?
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I’m not. It just seems there’s no need beating this dead horse because they seem to see the need to upgrade that spot.

I’d love to see Dalton risner signed but maybe they don’t see him as a fit or an upgrade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2024, 12:20 PM)Housh Wrote: IMHO we needed a RT and a LG equally. Volson i guess ended the season league average but the guy i saw is NEVER gonna be above average. Hes not strong or fast enough.

He did run with Brown on that long screen that he scored on. I disagree on his strength or speed. I see more technique issues and he seemed to be getting better at that towards the end of the season. Now if someone comes along that is better, then yes he should be replaced as I would expect at any position.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2024, 12:20 PM)Housh Wrote: IMHO we needed a RT and a LG equally. Volson i guess ended the season league average but the guy i saw is NEVER gonna be above average. Hes not strong or fast enough.

Here is a rather large thread about Volson from this last season and one you participated in. I mean December 2023 wasn't that long ago.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Cordell-Volson-and-this-offensive-line

Quote:http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Cordell-Volson-and-this-offensive-line?pid=1433250#pid1433250

"But if we have any real chance of going 4-1 in the next 5 weeks we need positions that struggled early to produce. Were getting decent TE production finally and Volson trending up is great and could be a huge reason we save our season"

"As we drafted both Jonah and Volson i think we should brag about them. They are proof we at least have a little idea how to draft linemen.

Now coaching them is another issue "

I'm not a huge Volson fan myself but I think not every player on the O-line is going to be above average.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Volson is not a high draft pick and does not eat up much cap. He is a 2 year starter and I have hope he will get better in 2024. The OP is dead wrong on his athleticism, Brown's 3rd fastest TD run a year ago had Volson not far behind him.

There are plenty who make him our whipping boy, we always have 1 or 2. It appears Hill and Turner are next in line, but both were high draft picks.

Ask the question, would you like him playing with the Steelers or the Ravens for !.1 million?

The great news is if FO and coaches are concerned, they can draft his competition in 2024, we have 10 draft picks.

It always amazes me how we give up on young players so early in their careers. Some expect players paid like backups to play like all pro's immediately or they are garbage,

Patience, Volson is going to get better and our OL is going to be better in 2024.

I am more concerned about our 31st ranked 2023 defense myself.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
We need to have starters who don't have big cap hits. His talent level seems to be average or a little below average, but I think he brings a nice consistency where the coaches know what to expect.

Honestly, he's probably our second best guard (behind Cappa) that we've had since Clint Boling and Kevin Zeitler.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2024, 02:02 PM)Weazzel80 Wrote: We need to have starters who don't have big cap hits. His talent level seems to be average or a little below average, but I think he brings a nice consistency where the coaches know what to expect.

Honestly, he's probably our second best guard (behind Cappa) that we've had since Clint Boling and Kevin Zeitler.

I like Cappa, but there were a few games he was getting his ass kicked pretty good. Also he had a couple of untimely penalties.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2024, 02:02 PM)Weazzel80 Wrote: We need to have starters who don't have big cap hits. His talent level seems to be average or a little below average, but I think he brings a nice consistency where the coaches know what to expect.

Spain in the 2021 regular season was prob the 2nd best guard behind Cappa since Boling left. Which is bad.

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
Almost every Oline is going to have a weak link, or two. I was talking with my brother in law yesterday. Long story short, it just seems that we put a lot of pressure on our oline. Not sure if it’s offensive scheme (Taylor/OC), oline coaching, talent and Joe burrows play style. It’s likely some sort of combo of all of it, but the consistency is horrible. There are games they play really well as a unit over the last two years (buffalo playoffs two years ago, last years SF and Buff game), but then others they look horrible . It’s just a lack of consistency.
Reply/Quote
It's no use. Pollack loves CV. I think he has a thing for folks who are mediocre at their job; it reminds him of himself.

If it were up to me; I'd release Tee (or trade him for peanuts) and sign Connor Williams immediately. Tee's tag would come very close to covering Willams' contract for 3 years.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

Everyone here does not have a say in it, and the coaches, who evaluate NFL talent, obviously disagree with you.
Reply/Quote

While I've been one of Volson's biggest critics, the main reason I haven't been vocal about having him replaced is because I didn't think it was going to happen with Pollack still here.
Also, they had to worry about plenty of other positions with actual departures, mainly RT and DT.

However, if I were to put myself in the coaches' shoes, here's what I would say to defend Volson...
Ever since the last BAL game (Game 10), here were Volson's allowed number of sacks, total pressures, and PFF pass blocking grade across the final 7 games of the season:
Sacks - 1
Total Pressures - 8
PFF pass block grade - 55 pass block grade or better in every game (high of 85.5). Two of the games were in the 80's, three in the 70's.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The CV subject has been beat to death. Just because a huge thread dedicated to the subject sputtered to a conclusion doesn't mean it's a subject worth re-visiting.

Use the old thread.
Reply/Quote
They seem dead set on Pollack and Volson being here.

I've said many times this offseason that they need to get a LG or a C (and then move Karras back to LG), but I also agree with people who then generally point out to me that they don't seem like they are willing to do so.

I know PFF isn't gospel, but Volson had a 44.4 pass blocking grade heading into the last week, over 12 points lower than the 4th worst. That is not average, that is terrible, and if you can't pass block in this pass heavy offense with the highest paid QB in the NFL coming off another surgery, you're a wasted starting spot.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote