Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cordell Volson and this offensive line
For the first Time since maybe 2005 or you go back to 88 or 90 team we have 5 quality above average lineman all at once.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 11:05 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: I agree.This OL friendly Offense,including QB under center is the way to go.Might even get us into the playoffs.

(12-08-2023, 01:07 AM)Joelist Wrote: Yep! Not saying we totally go away from shotgun, RPO or even liking to pass. But being under center more with better run/pass balance and more runs to the left sets the line up to succeed more.

No doubt, keep using the Shotgun and RPO, just not most of the time.

(12-08-2023, 10:41 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Boyd has been a MAJOR dissapointment for me this year. He looks dissinterested at times, has had some boneheaded plays, and he lacks any kind of explosiveness or speed out of the slot. I'm so over him. 

I get that you're in a contract year, but cmon man... 

(12-08-2023, 10:42 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Which you think would have him balling out for the payday...somewhere. 

Same, Boyd has been a disappointment and you would think he would be playing his hardest to get another contract.

Not being disinterested, I know that Boyd must of not seen Allen on that interception he threw but even then you don't throw 
that ball. You cut up field and save a turnover. He nearly cost us that game and he dropped a game winner against the Texans.

I am ready to see more Chuck Sizzle in the Slot for the future.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2023, 02:56 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: For the first Time since maybe 2005 or you go back to 88 or 90 team we have 5 quality above average lineman all at once.

Volson has looked better lately but lets see how he finishes the season.  People were saying last year he had improved late in the year and we should expect great things out of him yet this year he comes in and lays a big turd to start the year.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, he’s looked good the last couple weeks, but it’s still a completely upgradable position. I’d like him much better as a backup.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 11:21 AM)Joelist Wrote: There are a number of factors that are in play:

1) Be under center more
2) Better run/pass balance
3) Run left more often

Our normal tendencies to be in shotgun all the time, be way off balance toward pass and also empty backfield combine to hang ANY OL out to dry. We ran a more balanced offense against her 49ers and Jags and actually let the line assert itself with power running to get into sync.

The Bengals are not unlike the league, 2023 is going to set a record of teams being in shotgun over 70% , I understand the pass/run ratio we are up at tied for top spot at 69% but what I found interesting is 8 of the top 10 teams that threw more than would be expected by an average team in similar situations in down, distance and game situations are in the playoff hunt: KC, Bengals, Vikings, Jags, Cowboys are 4 of the top 5.

also read a interesting stat that more often a successful offense is one that passes more on first down than runs the ball since probability is you will tend to gain min. on average 5 yards.

I am starting to worry less about balance and more at effectiveness especially in three areas: under center (since it is rare now in the NFL not just the bengals) shotgun RPOs and passing on 1st down.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2023, 10:14 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The Bengals are not unlike the league, 2023 is going to set a record of teams being in shotgun over 70% , I understand the pass/run ratio we are up at tied for top spot at 69% but what I found interesting is 8 of the top 10 teams that threw more than would be expected by an average team in similar situations in down, distance and game situations are in the playoff hunt: KC, Bengals, Vikings, Jags, Cowboys are 4 of the top 5.

also read a interesting stat that more often a successful offense is one that passes more on first down than runs the ball since probability is you will tend to gain min. on average 5 yards.

I am starting to worry less about balance and more at effectiveness especially in three areas: under center (since it is rare now in the NFL not just the bengals) shotgun RPOs and passing on 1st down.

They get so many efficiency numbers that tells them what’s working. It’s beyond some obviously how focused and fine tuned it is. They know who’s blocking well. PFF is like a Schwinn bicycle up against a Lamborghini versus what they get. These guys are in a volatile industry where job security is nil.We are so naive here.

Then throw in the limitations with what Joe wants and the OL deficiencies it’s complicated. I suspect Joe will come back with a vengeance next year and more adaptable. He did adapt to the deep cover 2 that teams threw at us last year eventually.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2023, 10:38 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They get so many efficiency numbers that tells them what’s working. It’s beyond some obviously how focused and fine tuned it is. They know who’s blocking well. PFF is like a Schwinn bicycle up against a Lamborghini versus what they get. These guys are in a volatile industry where job security is nil.We are so naive here.

Then throw in the limitations with what Joe wants and the OL deficiencies it’s complicated. I suspect Joe will come back with a vengeance next year and more adaptable. He did adapt to the deep cover 2 that teams threw at us last year eventually.

I agree with you, even H.S coaches today have so much more info at their disposal compared to the engaged fans.now move to the NFL is that is like 3x magnitude.. Trends are trends for sure though and it is a copy cat league very often so I think that is important when we try to put the Bengals in context, you need to look also at what the league has been doing over past years.
Reply/Quote
Consistency is what he needs.

Doing this a few times a season won’t keep him starting for long. Eventually we will get tired and we will move on

But if we have any real chance of going 4-1 in the next 5 weeks we need positions that struggled early to produce. Were getting decent TE production finally and Volson trending up is great and could be a huge reason we save our season

Cappa also needs to play better imo. He was giving up alot of BS early.

Tackles have been great all year imo. And idc about stats on this one. Brown has been as advertised especially since i have a suspicion that groin isn’t 100%. Jonah has been so good i think he’s played his way out of Cincinnati.

As we drafted both Jonah and Volson i think we should brag about them. They are proof we at least have a little idea how to draft linemen.

Now coaching them is another issue
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2023, 09:28 PM)Housh Wrote: Consistency is what he needs.

Doing this a few times a season won’t keep him starting for long. Eventually we will get tired and we will move on

But if we have any real chance of going 4-1 in the next 5 weeks we need positions that struggled early to produce. Were getting decent TE production finally and Volson trending up is great and could be a huge reason we save our season

Cappa also needs to play better imo. He was giving up alot of BS early.

Tackles have been great all year imo. And idc about stats on this one. Brown has been as advertised especially since i have a suspicion that groin isn’t 100%. Jonah has been so good i think he’s played his way out of Cincinnati.

As we drafted both Jonah and Volson i think we should brag about them. They are proof we at least have a little idea how to draft linemen.

Now coaching them is another issue

I think Cincy offers Jonah a fair contract to stay at RT. He can want to play LT all he wants, but I think he saw this year when he requested a trade that there just aren't any takers for him. RT is the best spot for him. 
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2023, 05:07 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No doubt, keep using the Shotgun and RPO, just not most of the time.

Same, Boyd has been a disappointment and you would think he would be playing his hardest to get another contract.

Not being disinterested, I know that Boyd must of not seen Allen on that interception he threw but even then you don't throw 
that ball. You cut up field and save a turnover. He nearly cost us that game and he dropped a game winner against the Texans.

I am ready to see more Chuck Sizzle in the Slot for the future.
and Ill never forget his drop in the SB ..that hurt us badly. I'm ready for some Chuck Sizz (medium well)  or someone else to step in there. This team needs more speed and zip on Offense. 
Reply/Quote
I'm starting to think so too.

The big question is, when Burrow returns, do we return to putting him in bad spots?
Reply/Quote
Didn’t allow 1 sack all game

Just amazing
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 06:05 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: I'm starting to think so too.

The big question is, when Burrow returns, do we return to putting him in bad spots?

LMFAO when he returns do we force him to run the offense not his.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2023, 06:26 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: LMFAO when he returns do we force him to run the offense not his.

It's the same offense, he's just running more under center and throwing more to the TEs and RBs, rather than force feeding the ball to the WRs.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 09:56 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's the same offense, he's just running more under center and throwing more to the TEs and RBs, rather than force feeding the ball to the WRs.

Exactly I realize that and you. They don’t have time to do an offense revamp in season. But I was referring to his free lancing via checking plays. And he produces some great ones no doubt.

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 09:56 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's the same offense, he's just running more under center and throwing more to the TEs and RBs, rather than force feeding the ball to the WRs.

Exactly I realize that and you. They don’t have time to do an offense revamp in season.

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 10:15 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Exactly I realize that and you. They don’t have time to do an offense revamp in season. But I was referring to his free lancing via checking plays. And he produces some great ones no doubt.

It'll be interesting to see if Minnesota adjusts their coverage to focus on the RBs and TEs to try to take away much of what Browning has been thriving on the past two weeks.  Consequently, I would have to think that would result in some single coverage down field on Chase and Higgins.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 10:41 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It'll be interesting to see if Minnesota adjusts their coverage to focus on the RBs and TEs to try to take away much of what Browning has been thriving on the past two weeks.  Consequently, I would have to think that would result in some single coverage down field on Chase and Higgins.

The way our roster is built teams will just have to accept whatever production the TE and RB have

What are they gonna do? Take a safety out of coverage or something? That’d be like just throwing the game away because our WRs would eat that D all the way up. Pause
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I noticed Volson ( and Irv) were downfield with Brown on his TD.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote