Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cordell Volson and this offensive line
(12-07-2023, 04:17 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: wow you people are literally bi-polar lmaoo no offense

What do you mean 'you people'?  Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 04:17 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: wow you people are literally bi-polar lmaoo no offense

Bi polar because Volson's play is bi polar. 

It's a week to week league and things change. Im not ready to give up on him yet. "Development isn't linear". 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 10:44 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I am starting to think that Volson is the guy.

He's REALLY flashed in a number of games this year, but has also had some turds. I remember Willie Anderson having a quote about offensive lineman..."development isn't linear".

I am also starting to believe that this offensive line isn't as big of a problem that we are all lead to believe. Yes, its been a small sample since Burrow was hurt, but they've played some of their best games when the Bengals are running the ball effectively, moving the pocket, doing more play action, going under center, etc. It's no coincidence that they played their best games against the 49ers and Jags (when they were doing all the things mentioned).

It's one of the things I'm going to be paying attention to the most going down the stretch. How they play under this "Browning" offense. I really do think the majority of their struggles is a result of Burrow wanting to be in spread 75% of the time and that "style" of play. Teams don't have to worry about any other element of our offense beating them.

Volson has put together back to back really good games where i don't recall him standing out, in a negative way, at all. The entire line has played well the last 2 and mostly the last 3. OBj is really the only guy that's not been playing above average. 

This Sunday should be a real test. The Colts are serious up front.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 11:43 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: By now you'd think that they could just pump fake it to Chase and find anyone open 12-15 yards downfield.

They've done that a few times this year. They've been || this close to breaking a few screen this year and it always gets blown up due to bad blocking, which is surprising because of how good blocking was on the edge a couple years ago. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 04:35 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: They've done that a few times this year. They've been || this close to breaking a few screen this year and it always gets blown up due to bad blocking, which is surprising because of how good blocking was on the edge a couple years ago. 

Yeah, I am watching the All-22 now and Boyd on the edge has been a disappointment. There was one play where Boyd did a fine job, or maybe the defender did a bad job (lol) and Chase got his 1-on-1 but missed his stiff arm and was taken down.

The whole idea is to get Chase in a 1-on-1. They're saying "my guy is better than yours." The blocking on the edge has been inconsistent at best, though, I agree. 
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 11:35 AM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: Yes, agree. And remove the Chase or whoever vertical screen pass from the playbook. They have lost or gained 1 yd all year on that attempt. When the DB sees Chase take a step and turn to the QB they tipped the play and the DB is all over him. Alot of lost downs and yards.

Through the first 2 drives I was getting a little fired up with the screen passes. HOWEVER, I was listening to a former NFL qb this week who said it was brilliant. You stack easy completion after easy completion which gets both the QB and WR into a rhythm. All of a sudden the other stuff becomes easier. The windows seem a little bit bigger and the WR sees the ball coming a little better. In addition to this, you get the ball in a top 5 playmakers hands (in the entire NFL) and see if he can do something with the ball.

On the surface it’s frustration, but it’s not a lot different than continuing to feed a RB that keeps getting stonewalled. It continues to break down the defense and as the game goes on, it gets harder to tackle.

Just another view of potentially why they ran SO many of those plays upfront.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 02:31 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Lots of heartburn and crow for a lot of people on so many fronts. A few on the Zac threads the week before are in their fox holes.

There's no crow. He's played very well the last 2 games and was deserving of the shit he got before. I'd like to see his light go on and make this the norm, as opposed to what he's done. 

I'll pile shit on players as high as i can stack it but then turn around and give them props they deserve when they play well. It's not either/or. 

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 02:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sample could be a very instrumental part in putting wrinkles in the offense, both in rushing and passing attack by being utilized in a 12 personnel package lining up in the H-back or FB position a few plays each game.

For me it's just good to see adjustments made that lead to success instead of stubbornly sticking to your guns waiting for something to start working.

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 04:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What do you mean 'you people'?  Ninja

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 05:02 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: There's no crow. He's played very well the last 2 games and was deserving of the shit he got before. I'd like to see his light go on and make this the norm, as opposed to what he's done. 

I'll pile shit on players as high as i can stack it but then turn around and give them props they deserve when they play well. It's not either/or. 

Nothing wrong with that as long as it’s got objectivity. But as far as Volson he’s been pretty violated and offensive lineman aren’t all world beaters for a few years. Cordell came from D-2 too
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 04:40 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Yeah, I am watching the All-22 now and Boyd on the edge has been a disappointment. There was one play where Boyd did a fine job, or maybe the defender did a bad job (lol) and Chase got his 1-on-1 but missed his stiff arm and was taken down.

The whole idea is to get Chase in a 1-on-1. They're saying "my guy is better than yours." The blocking on the edge has been inconsistent at best, though, I agree. 

Yup. I did see Tee with a nice block but i don't remember what play it was on. Oline getting in space has been really rough. Come on man, you're big fat guys. Just get in front of someone and slow them down! Big Grin

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 05:08 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Nothing wrong with that as long as it’s got objectivity. But as far as Volson he’s been pretty violated and offensive lineman are all world beaters for a few years. Cordell came from D-2 too

I've piled on him big time but as a Bengals fan, i want nothing more than to see a wall in front of the QB and if Volson is part of that wall i'll be as happy as a early Volson supporter. 

I agree, objectivity rules. 

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 10:44 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I am starting to think that Volson is the guy.

He's REALLY flashed in a number of games this year, but has also had some turds. I remember Willie Anderson having a quote about offensive lineman..."development isn't linear".

I am also starting to believe that this offensive line isn't as big of a problem that we are all lead to believe. Yes, its been a small sample since Burrow was hurt, but they've played some of their best games when the Bengals are running the ball effectively, moving the pocket, doing more play action, going under center, etc. It's no coincidence that they played their best games against the 49ers and Jags (when they were doing all the things mentioned).

It's one of the things I'm going to be paying attention to the most going down the stretch. How they play under this "Browning" offense. I really do think the majority of their struggles is a result of Burrow wanting to be in spread 75% of the time and that "style" of play. Teams don't have to worry about any other element of our offense beating them.

He's in his sophomore slump. He should get nothing but better from here on out.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 11:13 AM)kalibengal Wrote: Yep, the under center is really the key....keeps the D off balance. 

PFF has the past two games our line doing the best while the QB is under center and running a zone blocking scheme while running left. Volson true pass set 83.2, for the best grade on the line. 

I do like the play going right which looks like the old Counter Trey,  but only pulling either Volson or OBjr whichever is uncovered.  We ran this with success against SF, and Buffalo and then I didn't see it again until Chase Brown ran it on Monday night.

I say we go under the center, run play action utilizing a run-blocking scheme, run to the left, and hit opposing teams with that counter to the right. Is Carman back?   I like Drew Sample as a FB or on the flank in a 12-set.  Maybe we can put in a delayed TE screen for him.
Reply/Quote
Continuity as well. The same 5 have played most of the year together I think I heard? I know they don’t like it but I’d like to see the 1 team play in most preseason games together to get some cohesion before the actual season starts. Might help avoid those slow starts.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 04:35 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: They've done that a few times this year. They've been || this close to breaking a few screen this year and it always gets blown up due to bad blocking, which is surprising because of how good blocking was on the edge a couple years ago. 

Boyd was just bad last night at blocking on the edge, but usually he is a good blocker, same with Chase, Tee and even Irwin.

(12-07-2023, 05:12 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yup. I did see Tee with a nice block but i don't remember what play it was on. Oline getting in space has been really rough. Come on man, you're big fat guys. Just get in front of someone and slow them down! Big Grin

Tee had a nice block down the field on the long Chase Brown run, maybe that is the one you are thinking of...

(12-07-2023, 06:31 PM)wanga Wrote: Continuity as well. The same 5 have played most of the year together I think I heard? I know they don’t like it but I’d like to see the 1 team play in most preseason games together to get some cohesion before the actual season starts. Might help avoid those slow starts.

Yes, we are one of the few teams that all 5 of our starters have been healthy for pretty much the entire season. Orlando has missed
a few snaps but that is it. Which is kind of surprising on us still not being that good, but I do think being in the Shotgun and passing 
so much are huge reasons for the struggles.
Reply/Quote
I agree.This OL friendly Offense,including QB under center is the way to go.Might even get us into the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
Yep! Not saying we totally go away from shotgun, RPO or even liking to pass. But being under center more with better run/pass balance and more runs to the left sets the line up to succeed more.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 04:40 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Yeah, I am watching the All-22 now and Boyd on the edge has been a disappointment. There was one play where Boyd did a fine job, or maybe the defender did a bad job (lol) and Chase got his 1-on-1 but missed his stiff arm and was taken down.

Boyd has been a MAJOR dissapointment for me this year. He looks dissinterested at times, has had some boneheaded plays, and he lacks any kind of explosiveness or speed out of the slot. I'm so over him. 

I get that you're in a contract year, but cmon man... 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2023, 10:41 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Boyd has been a MAJOR dissapointment for me this year. He looks dissinterested at times, has had some boneheaded plays, and he lacks any kind of explosiveness or speed out of the slot. I'm so over him. 

I get that you're in a contract year, but cmon man... 

Which you think would have him balling out for the payday...somewhere. 
Reply/Quote