Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Core looking great!
(05-26-2017, 07:07 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Don't know if I totally agree with that. "KOR are a dime a dozen". Sure you can always catch it and take a knee.  Erickson has great vision and actually is pretty damn fast also. I liked the Core pick a year ago and still do. I hope they go with 7 wrs.

I agree and want 7 WR's too
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I find this from NFL.com incredibly relevant to this thread:

Quote:"Despite this, you'll see plenty of overzealous OTA analysis describing which running backs or offensive linemen are "flashing" or "rising" in practices that barely resemble the sport we watch on Sundays.

Position battles: Bill Belichick has said it countless times over the years: OTAs and minicamps are for teaching, and training camp is for evaluation. No one is making the team or losing a job for good based on practice in shorts. This part of the offseason is more about installing a scheme and getting back into form.

Despite that, I keep reading this week how certain players were struggling in OTAs, raising concern about their job status. Fifteen years ago, OTAs were lightly covered in the next day's newspapers, if they were covered at all. Now there are competing articles about "Ten things I learned on Day 1 of OTAs" because the internet needs to be fed."

Don't get too hyped about OTAs, especially OL (regarding OG and Fisher hype). There are always players like Core that will look good in shorts
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2017, 07:47 PM)eoxyod Wrote: I find this from NFL.com incredibly relevant to this thread:

Don't get too hyped about OTAs, especially OL (regarding OG and Fisher hype). There are always players like Core that will look good in shorts

Core and Fisher have actually looked good in pads though at times.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2017, 06:25 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: True, it is way too early as injuries also can and probably will play into the final roster. I do think we may keep 7 WR's simply by getting rid of Drisckoll (spelling). Last year was the 1st time we kept 3 QB's on the roster in a very long time or don't be surprised if we trade AJ during camp either. But a roster spot is waiting just by keeping 2 QB's versus 3 a year ago.

Don't forget that Boyd can play QB like Sanu, maybe not that good lol but still something to take into consideration in case
we want to go light on QB and only dress 2 come game days. Surprised we didn't see any trick plays with Boyd at QB last
year.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2017, 09:07 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Core very well could have improved his acceleration. All the "naysayers" are pointing out is that stating mph does not equal great acceleration. Anyone claiming otherwise is going purely on hope/faith rather than facts. We need to see it with our own eyes or have it measured to really determine if he's improved that area.

Actually if the receiver collides with the DB, acceleration means little. If he can't shake the DB top speed also become irrelevant. IMO.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2017, 05:09 PM)Derrick Wrote: Actually if the receiver collides with the DB, acceleration means little. If he can't shake the DB top speed also become irrelevant. IMO.

That is why Core has the upper hand over a guy like Malone who needs to gain muscle.

Core is a tough motha.
Reply/Quote
I hope they can find a way to keep 7 WRs. I really like Core. If they go 7, I have a feeling Malone will be the one that doesn't dress on game days.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2017, 04:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Core and Fisher have actually looked good in pads though at times.

Sure on Fisher, but don't confuse having a couple good catches as anything too great in pads for Core. We have had tons of receivers here do things like that, and they didn't do anything with the team. I'm not trying to actively count him out, but there's still only so much room and as excited I am, the entire receiving corp isn't about to be the best in the league (Being hyperbolic but you know). I do hope he continues to have this translate though, and if it makes you feel better I had a dream he was doing super well against the Ravens
Reply/Quote
Meh. Core we can be hopeful for, but he isn't really all that amazing.

Sure, he had some quality catches. But that doesn't mean anything the next hyear.

What does Cody Core offer that none of our other WRs offer? If we go 7 WRs, he has a good chance of making it.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2017, 06:49 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Meh. Core we can be hopeful for, but he isn't really all that amazing.

Sure, he had some quality catches. But that doesn't mean anything the next hyear.

What does Cody Core offer that none of our other WRs offer? If we go 7 WRs, he has a good chance of making it.

Physicality is what Core offers that none of our other WR's offer Wolf...

He is the most physical blocker we have right now and can get off of bump and run well.

Surprised some are righting this guy off so quickly.

His weakness in college was his route running, he cleans this up look the hell out.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2017, 07:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Physicality is what Core offers that none of our other WR's offer Wolf...

He is the most physical blocker we have right now and can get off of bump and run well.

Surprised some are righting this guy off so quickly.

His weakness in college was his route running, he cleans this up look the hell out.

A guy whose weakness is route running is not a 5th round pick. Because that's every college receiver's 'weakness'. Also Lafell and Boyd are good blockers. If Core does make the team, he's going to be inactive. There's just too much ahead of him
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2017, 08:00 PM)eoxyod Wrote: A guy whose weakness is route running is not a 5th round pick. Because that's every college receiver's 'weakness'. Also Lafell and Boyd are good blockers. If Core does make the team, he's going to be inactive. There's just too much ahead of him

Agreed.  One of the reasons he struggles with route running is he's stiff hipped and lacks the burst to seperate.  He's also a guy who doesn't play as fast as his 4.47 40.

If we keep 7, AJ, Ross, LaFell, and Boyd are locks to be active, barring injury, as the top 4, and Erickson will be active as the primary returner, leaving Core and Malone inactive.  If we only keep 6, it's probably because Malone beat out Erickson as the primary returner, meaning he'll be active as the 5th WR.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2017, 12:39 PM)Whatever Wrote: Agreed.  One of the reasons he struggles with route running is he's stiff hipped and lacks the burst to seperate.  He's also a guy who doesn't play as fast as his 4.47 40.

If we keep 7, AJ, Ross, LaFell, and Boyd are locks to be active, barring injury, as the top 4, and Erickson will be active as the primary returner, leaving Core and Malone inactive.  If we only keep 6, it's probably because Malone beat out Erickson as the primary returner, meaning he'll be active as the 5th WR.

Well I disagree, in life if you can't take weaknesses and improve them through hard work and in this case technique you will always fail. There would be no need to rate performance in the workplace because if your scenario is used, it would be a waste of time

Before you say, an NFL athlete is not like a common worker, I will show you a short list of guys who improved  year after year early in the careers.
1. Atkins
2. Tom Brady
3. A. Brown went from no TD AB to a threat scoring.

I could go on, but my point is using a draft position and pre-draft critiques to come up with the final outcome is short sided and frankly just wrong.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
The guys is working his tail off to get better. For some reason, people going to great lengths to write him off. Go figure.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2017, 03:17 PM)McC Wrote: The guys is working his tail off to get better.  For some reason, people going to great lengths to write him off.  Go figure.

I think it's more people want to see it for themselves before believing it. Those people doubting point to the hype articles Hobson posted years back on James Wright, Armon Binns, etc.
Also, the comments from Dalton like, "He's fast" are vague. He was "fast" coming out of college. That's supported by his 4.42 40 time and his college tape catching deep balls. His question was his explosion off the line and stiffness in routes, so saying "He's fast" doesn't guarantee he's gained that off-the-line explosion and agility.

Me personally, I hope he's improved and believe he has to at least some extent, but until I have visual proof, I don't consider everything from bengals.com to be pure fact just yet.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2017, 03:35 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think it's more people want to see it for themselves before believing it. Those people doubting point to the hype articles Hobson posted years back on James Wright, Armon Binns, etc.
Also, the comments from Dalton like, "He's fast" are vague. He was "fast" coming out of college. That's supported by his 4.42 40 time and his college tape catching deep balls. His question was his explosion off the line and stiffness in routes, so saying "He's fast" doesn't guarantee he's gained that off-the-line explosion and agility.

Me personally, I hope he's improved and believe he has to at least some extent, but until I have visual proof, I don't consider everything from bengals.com to be pure fact just yet.

That's just it though, the article from Hobs is just saying you can tell the guy is/has been working his tail off to improve this offseason. Not saying he is the second coming of AJ or anything like that. Time will only tell, when they put the pads on, if his offseason was good enough to make the squad. 
 If last year was any kind of indication, 7 receivers are needed, especially needing some speed at the lower end of your line-up.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2017, 03:48 PM)sandwedge Wrote: That's just it though, the article from Hobs is just saying you can tell the guy is/has been working his tail off to improve this offseason. Not saying he is the second coming of AJ or anything like that. Time will only tell, when they put the pads on, if his offseason was good enough to make the squad. 
 If last year was any kind of indication, 7 receivers are needed, especially needing some speed at the lower end of your line-up.

I understand that. But what I'm saying is we've heard the same thing before about improvements from players like Armon Binns and James Wright and they ended up still being unproductive. So until I see video proof or in-game performance, I still won't believe it.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2017, 04:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I understand that. But what I'm saying is we've heard the same thing before about improvements from players like Armon Binns and James Wright and they ended up still being unproductive. So until I see video proof or in-game performance, I still won't believe it.

Yep. Armon Binns is the best comparison to this. It's crazy how much people put into OTAs.

I WANT him to be productive. I'm not putting all of my hopes and dreams into a 6th round pick, and then when he doesn't succeed, I'm not going to be one of those fans that for some reason calls him a bust or disappointment.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2017, 04:20 PM)eoxyod Wrote: Yep. Armon Binns is the best comparison to this. It's crazy how much people put into OTAs.

I WANT him to be productive. I'm not putting all of my hopes and dreams into a 6th round pick, and then when he doesn't succeed, I'm not going to be one of those fans that for some reason calls him a bust or disappointment.

[Image: stone-cold-steve-austin-3-dta-son-dont-t...nybody.jpg]
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Just hope he can succeed. As he does have a lot of potential.
Happy Halloween
Reply/Quote