Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Core looking great!
(05-25-2017, 08:01 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I guess you did not read the article in this thread. You don't get to 22.8 MPH (AJ Green is 22 MPH) with below average acceleration. Can you provide the article(s) that stated such a fact?

Top speed and acceleration are two different things. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Going to be some tough cuts this year.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2017, 03:12 PM)Berfaulk34 Wrote: Top speed and acceleration are two different things. 

Bingo.

Speed is distance/time.
Acceleration is distance/(time^2)... or (finalSpeed - initSpeed) / timeBetweenTheTwo
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
We have the same approach to WRs as we do CBs. Get them all. All of them.

Part of my reason for me disliking the first round pick as much as I did this year was that we weren't in bad shape at WR, at least not as bad as other spots. The Core talk may be typical Hobson fluff, but everything pointed to him heading in the right direction. All I can figure is we take 7 WRs this year with the expectation of someone being PUP early and letting LaFell go next year. Or maybe we devote resources into a guy and once he starts improving, we send him to another team. Who knows any more.
Reply/Quote
http://espn1530.iheart.com/onair/james-rapien-56340/is-this-bengals-fan-delusional-or-15862711/

I like James Rapien, and side with him on this one. I'm a big fan of what Ross can be. Good to see Core doing well though!

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 12:25 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: My God Hobson is just so hard to read.

lol...  Perfect!!
Reply/Quote
If Core can continue to improve this summer and really provide some big plays in the preseason and be consistant
In his pass catching then I feel it's Alex Erickson that gets cut
I understand Erickson came out of nowhere to secure a spot on the 53 and ultimately led the AFC in KOR.but let's
Honest Core has a higher ceiling than Erickson .....bigger catch radius ....better speed .....not mention being taller ...I see Core securing the final WR spot
KOR are a dime a dozen and can be replaced easily
Im sure Core can return KO also if need be
Reply/Quote
New here, but I thought i'd chime in.

Classic bengals move would be to cut a guy like Erickson. I have nightmares of Belichick picking up Erickson and turning him into Edelman 2.0....

Core has solid upside, but I agree, we're playing underwear football at the moment so it's hard to know for sure.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2017, 03:12 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Top speed and acceleration are two different things. 

Are they 2 different things or can they be 2 different things? Are you saying it is impossible to have both? I get it some want to dismiss anything positive, but to jump to Core has not improved his acceleration along with his speed in the off season is an unknown right now.

My experience working with young ladies (great athletes, but not professionals) 20 years who went through off season acceleration programs was they improved everything, speed, quickness and acceleration. The program focused on all 3. So, I can easily see a pro athlete like Core make bigger strides due to a more intense program than the young ladies I coached went through in the 90"s.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2017, 08:33 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Are they 2 different things or can they be 2 different things? Are you saying it is impossible to have both? I get it some want to dismiss anything positive, but to jump to Core has not improved his acceleration along with his speed in the off season is an unknown right now.

My experience working with young ladies (great athletes, but not professionals) 20 years who went through off season acceleration programs was they improved everything, speed, quickness and acceleration. The program focused on all 3. So, I can easily see a pro athlete like Core make bigger strides due to a more intense program than the young ladies I coached went through in the 90"s.

Core very well could have improved his acceleration. All the "naysayers" are pointing out is that stating mph does not equal great acceleration. Anyone claiming otherwise is going purely on hope/faith rather than facts. We need to see it with our own eyes or have it measured to really determine if he's improved that area.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2017, 08:33 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Are they 2 different things or can they be 2 different things? Are you saying it is impossible to have both? I get it some want to dismiss anything positive, but to jump to Core has not improved his acceleration along with his speed in the off season is an unknown right now.

Yes, both can be improved. But they don't always go hand in hand. They are 2 separate measurements. I'm not saying he hasn't improved both. I was just pointing out that you can have a great top speed, but not necessarily great acceleration. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2017, 11:32 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yes, both can be improved. But they don't always go hand in hand. They are 2 separate measurements. I'm not saying he hasn't improved both. I was just pointing out that you can have a great top speed, but not necessarily great acceleration. 

I understand, but I don't recall anyone ever stated he improved his acceleration, I just alluded to the article and his 22.8 MPH top end speed.

I agree, it is an unknown, but my experience has been acceleration improves as well as normally the number one focus is to improve acceleration which helps top end speed in most cases.

I also think it is relevant a WR measured close to the guy that took the NFL by storm last years from KC who has a top end speed of 23 MPH or within .2 of him. Simply, these types of guys rarely get caught from behind once they get a lead.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2017, 01:57 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: There's no doubt a ton of similarities between Core and Malone. Same size, similar combine numbers, both body catchers with below average acceleration from what I've read. The difference I saw in scouting reports was that Malone has plus hands, while Core's hands were deemed average. Also, Malone is sharp out of his breaks, while it was said Core runs rounded, sloppy routes.

Also I have to wonder why the coaches would spend a quality pick on Malone if they were sold on Core.

Core is a much more physical blocker than Malone and is just more physical in general.

Also, Core ran rounded, sloppy routes in college. It appears he has cleaned this up big time. Urban is a good coach, i believe
he could coach both these guys into something special. Core right now is ahead of Malone and i don't know how anyone could
argue otherwise. Core is going nowhere, we will most likely carry 7 receivers and Malone might not dress at times during the
season. Lafell or Erickson are the most likely to go if we keep 6 IMHO.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2017, 01:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Core is a much more physical blocker than Malone and is just more physical in general.

Also, Core ran rounded, sloppy routes in college. It appears he has cleaned this up big time. Urban is a good coach, i believe
he could coach both these guys into something special. Core right now is ahead of Malone and i don't know how anyone could
argue otherwise. Core is going nowhere, we will most likely carry 7 receivers and Malone might not dress at times during the
season. Lafell or Erickson are the most likely to go if we keep 6 IMHO.

I'm thinking to myself if it's between keeping Core and Erickson (if they only want to go with 6), they might (IMO should) keep Erickson because of his dependable production as a returner, and relegate Core to the PS.  I'm still not sold that Core would be plucked off the PS if they put him there, but other teams sure have some tape on him from the last game of last year.  I'm hoping that maybe Wilson can become a great return man (with Mixon thrown in to ease the burden), so that Erickson can get traded (if Core actually shows that he's worth keeping).  Either way, I'm leaning towards Core being the 7th man right now, but hope he proves me wrong big time!  Even though I'm not sold on Core yet, I do think given one more year of development, he could become a solid 3rd receiver next year.  No matter what, it's going to be a bummer if we have to lose one of the receivers to another team (unless a trade upgrades a weaker spot on the team).  In case of injuries, I'm happy about the receiver depth on the team.  
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2017, 02:32 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: I'm thinking to myself if it's between keeping Core and Erickson (if they only want to go with 6), they might (IMO should) keep Erickson because of his dependable production as a returner, and relegate Core to the PS.  I'm still not sold that Core would be plucked off the PS if they put him there, but other teams sure have some tape on him from the last game of last year.  I'm hoping that maybe Wilson can become a great return man (with Mixon thrown in to ease the burden), so that Erickson can get traded (if Core actually shows that he's worth keeping).  Either way, I'm leaning towards Core being the 7th man right now, but hope he proves me wrong big time!  Even though I'm not sold on Core yet, I do think given one more year of development, he could become a solid 3rd receiver next year.  No matter what, it's going to be a bummer if we have to lose one of the receivers to another team (unless a trade upgrades a weaker spot on the team).  In case of injuries, I'm happy about the receiver depth on the team.  

We are definately stacked at WR. I understand why some would keep Erickson over Core cause he was such a good
Returner last year and field position is huge. But like you said, we have Wilson on the team now, and Ross and Bernard,
and Mixon who could all be fine returners.

Erickson just does not bring near as much to the table as a Receiver or a blocker as Core IMO.

I would keep Core over both Erickson and Lafell. Actually hoping we trade Lafell somewhere if we are keeping 6 WR's.

I honestly think Core could be a star WR if he improved on his route running. Erickson and Lafell not so much.
Reply/Quote
It really is much too early to be trying to guess who is or isn't going to make the final roster cuts. I'm really happy to know that the team is so loaded at WR, that at least one NFL quality player is not going to make it. That says a lot, from where this team was last year, at this same point.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2017, 02:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It really is much too early to be trying to guess who is or isn't going to make the final roster cuts.  I'm really happy to know that the team is so loaded at WR, that at least one NFL quality player is not going to make it.  That says a lot, from where this team was last year, at this same point.

True, it is way too early as injuries also can and probably will play into the final roster. I do think we may keep 7 WR's simply by getting rid of Drisckoll (spelling). Last year was the 1st time we kept 3 QB's on the roster in a very long time or don't be surprised if we trade AJ during camp either. But a roster spot is waiting just by keeping 2 QB's versus 3 a year ago.

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2017, 06:25 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: True, it is way too early as injuries also can and probably will play into the final roster. I do think we may keep 7 WR's simply by getting rid of Drisckoll (spelling). Last year was the 1st time we kept 3 QB's on the roster in a very long time or don't be surprised if we trade AJ during camp either. But a roster spot is waiting just by keeping 2 QB's versus 3 a year ago.

The next couple of weeks of OTAs should be very entertaining for anyone able to attend and watch, particularly Minicamp on June 13-15.  As everyone will get their first look at John Ross catching and running.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2017, 06:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The next couple of weeks of OTAs should be very entertaining for anyone able to attend and watch, particularly Minicamp on June 13-15.  As everyone will get their first look at John Ross catching and running.

I agree. The speed they added in the draft with Ross, Malone and even Willis and others is interesting. No doubt they wanted two things, get faster and get younger.

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2017, 01:04 AM)impactplaya Wrote: If Core can continue to improve this summer and really provide some big plays in the preseason and be consistant
In his pass catching then I feel it's Alex Erickson that gets cut
I understand Erickson came out of nowhere to secure a spot on the 53 and ultimately led the AFC in  KOR.but let's
Honest Core has a higher ceiling than Erickson .....bigger catch radius ....better speed .....not mention being taller ...I see Core securing the final WR spot
KOR are a dime a dozen and can be replaced easily
Im sure Core can return KO also if need be

Don't know if I totally agree with that. "KOR are a dime a dozen". Sure you can always catch it and take a knee.  Erickson has great vision and actually is pretty damn fast also. I liked the Core pick a year ago and still do. I hope they go with 7 wrs.
Reply/Quote