Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Core looking great!
(05-24-2017, 01:55 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Relax people.  Once they go physical n add the pad Cedric will once again throw on his rollerskates n end up on Daltons lap

Maybe not.  He's worked hard this off season.  Maybe he comes through.  PA has always done a pretty good job with T's.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Core is probably an August cut and practice squad candidate.

Green
Ross
LaFell
Boyd
Malone
Erickson

The only chance for Core to make it is (a) if the Bengals decide to roll with 7 receivers...which I see as unlikely, or (b) if Core beats out Erickson, but I also see this as unlikely considering Erickson just lead the NFL in kick return yards and was 2nd in yards per return. Add in the fact that Malone is essentially a a better version of Core, and I just see Core as the odd man out if we roll with 6 receivers.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Hopefully we roll with 7 then Shake cause from a receiving standpoint Core has more upside then Erickson, and we've upgraded our return game big time (even if we don't use Ross). Unless you think Wilson will be cut, but we traded up for him. He has to be used somewhere then right? Then we still have Mixon, Jones etc as options.

AJ
Ross
Boyd
Lafell
Core
Malone
Chris Brown (sleeper, who had a great camp with the Cowboys before getting hurt. Speed, good college game tape, more upside at receiver then Erickson).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 02:24 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Core is probably an August cut and practice squad candidate.

Green
Ross
LaFell
Boyd
Malone
Erickson

The only chance for Core to make it is (a) if the Bengals decide to roll with 7 receivers...which I see as unlikely, or (b) if Core beats out Erickson, but I also see this as unlikely considering Erickson just lead the NFL in kick return yards and was 2nd in yards per return. Add in the fact that Malone is essentially a a better version of Core, and I just see Core as the odd man out if we roll with 6 receivers.

I usually always agree with you Shake but not here. The Return game is being phased out of the NFL whether we like it or
not, Core is a much better receiver than Erickson and is a deep threat. Core is a much more physical blocker than Malone
or Erickson and is just as fast as Malone and is not a rail.

Core will make it on ST's alone and is the better receiver at this point than either of these two and is also much faster than
Boyd and Lafell.

Core will make this team and if the coaches have to roll with 7 receivers to do it, they will.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 01:46 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Why derail a thread because you disagree with a writing skill? You and others are free to start a bashing Hobson thread at any time.

I would appreciate if we focus on the content, not the grammar.

Fair enough, my apologies. 

On topic, it's exciting to hear that Core is looking faster and stronger than last year. I really do have high hopes for him. I don't see any way we keep less than 7 WRs barring injury.
Also good to hear Ced had a good first day. 
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 02:30 PM)jj22 Wrote: Hopefully we roll with 7 then Shake cause from a receiving standpoint Core has more upside then Erickson, and we've upgraded our return game big time (even if we don't use Ross). Unless you think Wilson will be cut, but we traded up for him. He has to be used somewhere then right?

AJ
Ross
Boyd
Lafell
Core
Malone
Chris Brown (sleeper, who had a great camp with the Cowboys before getting hurt. Speed, good college game tape, more upside at receiver then Erickson).

Well I know I said it's unlikely that they roll with 7, but it's possible. Maybe Core takes Jeff Driskell's place? McCarron obviously wasn't traded, so I doubt they keep Driskell rostered for a 2nd year in a row. That said, we had 11 draft picks and only so many roster spots. 7 receivers seems like a luxury. I like Core, but I don't see a star in the making or anything silly. Erickson showed some promise as a receiver and was dynamite as a returner, so if it came down to the 2...Erickson would be my choice. I don't want Ross risking injury on returns.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 02:24 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Core is probably an August cut and practice squad candidate.

Green
Ross
LaFell
Boyd
Malone
Erickson

I think they roll with 7 wide this year, and probably make up for it with 3 Backs or 2 QBs. Probably roll with 2 QBs over 3 RBs tho seeing Gio's injury. They have options if they want to keep 7 IMO.

Edit: I see you beat me to it with Driskell :-)
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 02:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I usually always agree with you Shake but not here. The Return game is being phased out of the NFL whether we like it or
not, Core is a much better receiver than Erickson and is a deep threat. Core is a much more physical blocker than Malone
or Erickson and is just as fast as Malone and is not a rail.

Core will make it on ST's alone and is the better receiver at this point than either of these two and is also much faster than
Boyd and Lafell.

Core will make this team and if the coaches have to roll with 7 receivers to do it, they will.

The return game looked very relevant here (with some nice 1st down catches sprinkled in):

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
I needs the football like now lol
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 02:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well I know I said it's unlikely that they roll with 7, but it's possible. Maybe Core takes Jeff Driskell's place? McCarron obviously wasn't traded, so I doubt they keep Driskell rostered for a 2nd year in a row. That said, we had 11 draft picks and only so many roster spots. 7 receivers seems like a luxury. I like Core, but I don't see a star in the making or anything silly. Erickson showed some promise as a receiver and was dynamite as a returner, so if it came down to the 2...Erickson would be my choice. I don't want Ross risking injury on returns.

I agree I think we have to keep erikson this year...  Maybe go light @ DL or OL depending on the backups or if a few guys can play multiple spots.

Hard to go short at DB these days maybe a RB as we could stash one on the PS and that Brandon Wilson kid will double for backup DB and STer.

But injuries will play a part especially if we pup anyone.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 02:58 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I agree I think we have to keep erikson this year...  Maybe go light @ DL or OL depending on the backups or if a few guys can play multiple spots.

Hard to go short at DB these days maybe a RB as we could stash one on the PS and that Brandon Wilson kid will double for backup DB and STer.

But injuries will play a part especially if we pup anyone.

August cuts will be interesting this year, I'll definitely say that.
Reply/Quote
I've said it before, football in the NFL is a game of field position, and Erickson has shown he can flip the field in our favor. It takes more than being fast, it takes being willing, and he has proven himself one of the best returners in the game. No way he gets cut. We will go with 2 quarterbacks, as most NFL teams now do, and carry 7 receivers. Especially after being receiver poor at the end of the last couple of seasons due to injuries...
Reply/Quote
Core best hope is as a Gunner on special teams. I think we go with 7 or trade Laffell though.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

Green
Ross
LaFell
Boyd
Malone
Erickson

I completely agree.

We learned last year that Core is big fast and has decent hands, but when he got playing time at the end of the year he was lost. He ran wrong routes, got in the way of the correct plays, ran incorrect depths in his routes... after most of the season practicing sitting in the meetings I was slightly dissapointed with his progress in the playbook. Core definitely would make the practice squad without much fear.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Ravens fans think Core is a beast, and would love to have him. I think he progressed well. Remember that Texan game he barely got reps as everyone planned on AJ playing until MB put an end to that.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 03:32 PM)J24 Wrote: Core best hope is as a Gunner on special teams. I think we go with 7 or trade Laffell though.

You never know. It would surprise me if the Bengals cut or trade LaFell due to his experience and professionalism, but it's an option if they love Core.

(05-24-2017, 03:41 PM)jj22 Wrote: Ravens fans think Core is a beast, and would love to have him. I think he progressed well. Remember that Texan game he barely got reps as everyone planned on AJ playing until MB put an end to that.

Ravens fans would, considering Core had (by far) his best game against them. I have to wonder how much we should read into that game though, considering the Ravens were starting rookie 4th round pick Tavon Young and bum Shareece Wright at the corners, and they looked mentally checked out in the meaningless week 17 contest.
Reply/Quote
Nice highlights Shake, i want to keep Erickson don't get me wrong.

I would honestly keep him over Lafell now with all this talent. Trading Lafell might be a great move, but for now we need
to hold onto all these guys in case of injury. Plus Lafell is very solid and experienced, might take a little bit for Urban to
coach Ross and Malone up. That is why Core also has a heads up, he has some NFL experience and has done well in those
limited snaps.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 01:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Somewhat off-topic, but am I the only one that loves the white practice jersey with the orange and black striped helmet? It looks so clean.

YES!!!    The one thing I loved about the original uniforms was the simplicity.   Combine it with the helmet and it looks GREAT.

I like our uniform colors/ variations.   But the uniforms are too busy looking.

And I wish we could have alternative helmets and go with a silver helmet option with the all white & black uniform.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 01:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Very encouraging. I have always thought Core could be very special so this doesn't surprise me. Him putting in that
much work and continuing to work on his routes will make it hard to keep him off the field even with John Ross in
front of him. The speed of a 3 WR set with AJ Green, John Ross and Cody Core could be beyond deadly.

Og looking good is the most encouraging, if this guy can even play decent this team could carry Marv's ass and win
a Playoff game maybe. That is how good the weapons and the Defense can be barring injuries.

Liked what Andre said about Fisher as well.

Yeah, I know we're in the underwear stage, but  I'm way encouraged to hear anything good about Og, Fisher and Billings.   And I'm thrilled to hear that Core is building on the positives he showed last year.   Makes me very happy to hear that Pacman is a fan (which means that Core is a true competitor) and that everyone is noticing the obvious work he put in in the off season and his performance improvement.

The guy was a stud in camp and really flashed in some of the games.

If Og and Fisher step up we could have a formidable offense.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 01:55 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Relax people.  Once they go physical n add the pad Cedric will once again throw on his rollerskates n end up on Daltons lap

Enough with the negative vibes man.   Relax in the other direction  Cool
Reply/Quote