Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corey Dillon asks-all time team
I choose not to assume an ulterior motive (and maybe it doesn't matter). If Corey wants to build bridges with the fans I am all for it. He was a great player for us.

Let's not forget that being an RB is an especially tough gig. You really sacrifice your body on a high percentage of the snaps. He ran hard for us. Don't tell me we didn't cheer for him once upon a time and he didn't run better because of it.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2023, 05:19 PM)Sled21 Wrote: *&#$ Corey Dillon coming around now acting like he's still part of the family. The man left throwing his equipment into the stands and badmouthed the Bengals for decades. Now that they're winning, he wants to be part of it again. Child please, go away.

First thing I thought, too. All of a sudden he loves us, now....after throwing away his shoulder pads into the stands and dissing this franchise up one side and down the other.  Now, he's MR "WHO-DEY"!

Gimme a break!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2023, 11:15 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Nah, by that logic Ted Ginn Jr had more total yards in the NFL than Chad.

Which is one of the elements I used to dispute the assertion that "it's not even close" between JB and CD.

Just liked I'd use return skills when comparing Antonio Bryant to other greats.

Dillon averaged 26.6 yards/KR as a Bengal.  Brooks only averaged a meager 17.0 as a Bengal.  Brooks' best year for KR average as a Bengal was '87, and he would have only tied for 14th best if he had enough returns to qualify.  In Dillon's rookie season, he averages 30.3 yards/return, which would have been #1 if he had enough to qualify.  

The comparison here is laughable, because Brooks was a mediocre return man even at his best.  Dillon averaged nearly 10 yards a return more as a Bengal than Brooks.  The only reason Brooks has more raw stats there is he was expendable enough to the offense to risk more on KR duty, while Dillon was too key to risk injury.  
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2023, 01:46 PM)Whatever Wrote: Dillon averaged 26.6 yards/KR as a Bengal.  Brooks only averaged a meager 17.0 as a Bengal.  Brooks' best year for KR average as a Bengal was '87, and he would have only tied for 14th best if he had enough returns to qualify.  In Dillon's rookie season, he averages 30.3 yards/return, which would have been #1 if he had enough to qualify.  

The comparison here is laughable, because Brooks was a mediocre return man even at his best.  Dillon averaged nearly 10 yards a return more as a Bengal than Brooks.  The only reason Brooks has more raw stats there is he was expendable enough to the offense to risk more on KR duty, while Dillon was too key to risk injury.  

I get it...You like Dillon better; I simply disputed the "not even close" assertion . But while you're White Knighting CD against Brooks you might not want to introduce Average into the discussion or I may consider the comparison "laughable". 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2023, 09:18 AM)Sled21 Wrote: They actually changed the game when Curtis came along. People putting up all time teams that never saw half the players play is kind of a lame game anyway. They want to say Chase is the greatest WR ever on the Bengals, even though he doesn't have the numbers yet. But they do not mention Cook, because he didn't play long enough to get the numbers. Players like Tommy Casanova are rarely ever talked about. If you didn't see them all play, it's impossible to do the list. You can't go by numbers alone because the game has evolved so much. I've watched them ALL play, and I can't do the list because I forget some of them.

100% agree with you.

I'm not old enough to have seen Curtis play (well not old enough to remember seeing him play) but from people who did see him and the footage I can find, everyone says the same thing that you said. The game changed because of him. Chad, A.J. even Chase don't have that attached to their names. Guy was something else, sad I didn't get to witness it.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2023, 12:40 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: 100% agree with you.

I'm not old enough to have seen Curtis play (well not old enough to remember seeing him play) but from people who did see him and the footage I can find, everyone says the same thing that you said. The game changed because of him. Chad, A.J. even Chase don't have that attached to their names. Guy was something else, sad I didn't get to witness it.

I liken the way Curtis changed the game to how Tiger Woods changed golf, making them "Tiger Proof" golf courses. And yet he's not in the Hall of Fame either.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2023, 01:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I get it...You like Dillon better; I simply disputed the "not even close" assertion . But while you're White Knighting CD against Brooks you might not want to introduce Average into the discussion or I may consider the comparison "laughable". 

What average would you like to discuss?  The average where Dillon has the best average rushing yards per game in team history at 75.3 and Brooks is only 7th at 54.6, 20 yards a game behind?   I mean, when you don't average as many ypg as Benjarvis Green -Ellis, do you really have a good claim for best in team history?  

But, hey, Brooks does hold both the career and single season team records for fumbles by a non-QB with 31 and 9, respectively.  I think a lot of people forget how bad of a fumbler he was.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2023, 12:40 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: 100% agree with you.

Ike had a gear nobody else had. Defenders were mugging him constantly. Kenny and Ike on those bombs were a thing of beauty!!
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2023, 03:19 PM)Whatever Wrote: What average would you like to discuss?  The average where Dillon has the best average rushing yards per game in team history at 75.3 and Brooks is only 7th at 54.6, 20 yards a game behind?   I mean, when you don't average as many ypg as Benjarvis Green -Ellis, do you really have a good claim for best in team history?  

But, hey, Brooks does hold both the career and single season team records for fumbles by a non-QB with 31 and 9, respectively.  I think a lot of people forget how bad of a fumbler he was.

As I mentioned earlier, you've got a point if all you consider a RB doing is rushing the ball. Dillon didn't average as many YPG (receiving) as Joe Mixon, so does he really have a claim for best in team history

I gotta feeling you knew exactly what averages I was talking about. I was talking Yards per Carry, Yards per Catch, and Yards per Touch. Brooks touched the ball 1641 times as a Bengal and averaged 5.8 yards every time he touched it. Corey Dillon touched it 2057 times and averaged 4.6 yards every time he touched it.

I loved Corey Dillon, back in the 90s he was the ONLY thing a Bengal fan had to crow about, but if I'm naming an "All-Time" Bengal team I'm putting JB as my halfback. You and others can choose Dillon and I can appreciate that. 

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2023, 04:11 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Ike had a gear nobody else had. Defenders were mugging him constantly. Kenny and Ike on those bombs were a thing of beauty!!

How could anyone consider Issac as an All-Time Bengal? He averaged less YPG than Darnay Scott.

Of course, I'm joking. Issac was in a league by himself. He was the OC (Original Cheetah) 

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2023, 05:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: How could anyone consider Issac as an All-Time Bengal? He averaged less YPG than Darnay Scott.

Of course, I'm joking. Issac was in a league by himself. He was the OC (Original Cheetah) 

Reading the Dillon vs Brooks argument is hilarious . . . Why would I pick Brooks over Dillon? Because I watched them both play. Brooks was always a part of a two RB/no FB offense and had to share the load with another starting RB. He was also a fearless blocker.

I get the feeling that too many people on this board spend more time poring over stats than they spend watching sports and most of the time that they are watching sports, they're still staring at stats on their phone.

"Statistics should be used the way a drunk uses a lamppost. More for support than illumination"
- Bob Valvano
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote