Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Coronavirus
Blaming Europe. Exempting UK because they have Trump properties even though they have more cases and deaths then other European countries have. Not banning travel from places like SK, Australia who we know have cases. Lying or not understanding his policy to the point nearly everything had to be corrected minutes after...

A disaster, and another trillion dollars lost from retirements and the economy is certain to crash with the cancelations.

We are in trouble folks.

If Trump wants to boost the economy (because every time he speaks another trillion is lost) he needs to shut the hell up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(03-12-2020, 10:48 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: NBA suspending their regular season is like a tree falling in a forest with nobody around. Does it make a sound? 

Nobody cares about college basketball until March and nobody cares about NBA until the semifinals of the playoffs (when there's no longer more than 50% of the league in the playoffs).

tell that to the vendors and arena staff working part time to try and keep food on their kids plates. 

but don't fret.  daddy will rub your back.
(03-12-2020, 10:48 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: NBA suspending their regular season is like a tree falling in a forest with nobody around. Does it make a sound? 

Nobody cares about college basketball until March and nobody cares about NBA until the semifinals of the playoffs (when there's no longer more than 50% of the league in the playoffs).

(03-12-2020, 11:06 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: tell that to the vendors and arena staff working part time to try and keep food on their kids plates. 

but don't fret.  daddy will rub your back.

Yeah, there are a lot of indirect impacts economically that are going to happen. For instance, local businesses in all these college towns where schools are telling students not to come back are going to take a big hit. Parents with children in K-12 schools will have to be concerned about child care when they otherwise wouldn't have to and if they are free/reduced lunch, now they have to pay extra to feed their children. Employees in food service and the hospitality industry will likely go without much pay because they rely heavily on tips and without them will see their income drastically reduced (or cut off entirely if there is not enough business to have them on the shifts).

I don't care much about the stock market because that is really just rich people getting richer and it isn't directly correlated to the economy. However, this will cause our GDP to shrink.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
But his uncle was a doctor. We're fine.
(03-12-2020, 11:14 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah, there are a lot of indirect impacts economically that are going to happen. For instance, local businesses in all these college towns where schools are telling students not to come back are going to take a big hit. Parents with children in K-12 schools will have to be concerned about child care when they otherwise wouldn't have to and if they are free/reduced lunch, now they have to pay extra to feed their children. Employees in food service and the hospitality industry will likely go without much pay because they rely heavily on tips and without them will see their income drastically reduced (or cut off entirely if there is not enough business to have them on the shifts).

I don't care much about the stock market because that is really just rich people getting richer and it isn't directly correlated to the economy. However, this will cause our GDP to shrink.

A lot of people have 401Ks and IRAs in mutual funds that are invested in the market.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(03-12-2020, 11:14 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah, there are a lot of indirect impacts economically that are going to happen. For instance, local businesses in all these college towns where schools are telling students not to come back are going to take a big hit. Parents with children in K-12 schools will have to be concerned about child care when they otherwise wouldn't have to and if they are free/reduced lunch, now they have to pay extra to feed their children. Employees in food service and the hospitality industry will likely go without much pay because they rely heavily on tips and without them will see their income drastically reduced (or cut off entirely if there is not enough business to have them on the shifts).

My wife and I went out to dinner last night...place was packed.

401K took a hit.  I have time to build it back up, others do not.

It's hard to understand big things like this in real time but I'm hoping it's not as bad as it seems to be heading both for people's lives and livelyhoods.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

This may shock you but there are other people in the world besides white country boys who never went to college.
(03-12-2020, 12:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This may shock you but there are other people in the world besides white country boys who never went to college.

And if John Denver is to be believed, they're pretty happy.
(03-11-2020, 10:44 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: NBA is suspending the season.  

Thanks Trump.

A result of some people not taking even the simplest precautions.

Mellow

Look, before this thread goes completely off the rails, or is dismissed due to perceived over-reaction keep in mind it is a real issue that will affect the coming weeks.

This entire situation seems to get worse by the hour. You can attribute this to the media coverage or you can believe the threat is real, or anything and everything in between. It's really besides the point in relation to this thread.

The reality is the response to this is almost like dominos. Once one organization or institution reacts then others are forced to follow. There are libality concerns that business and employers open themselves up to. There are substantial PR and optic risks.

It just came out that Redskins are not sending any emoloyees to pro days. Again, like a game of dominos, look for other franchisss to follow suit.

So there's a very good chance that you'll see pro days outright canceled, or sparsley attended.

There's reports multiple teams are shutting down training facilites.

Free agency is set to open next week. I would not at all be surprised to see this date pushed back.

This situation could greatly affect scouting and free agency, as both depend on a significant amount of travel. It could affect the draft as far as attendance, both by fans and players. It may get pushed, or teams may draft remotely (meaning not held in NY, no podium, no cards turned in, no live show)

I just figured this topic deserved it's own thread, and could be a catch-all for developments. I suspect there will be significant ones over the next couple of weeks. Whether or not you think the response or coverage is warranted this looks to greatly affect a number of NFL offseason activities.
(03-12-2020, 11:19 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: But his uncle was a doctor. We're fine.

That was last week before an adult finally got in his ear yesterday... In that somber look on his orange face, you could tell that he realized all his bluff and bullshit is useless now.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
You forgot to blame Mike Brown.
So much for serious discussion. Thread derailed right from the jump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The swine flu had 60 million people infected in 2009-2010....
There are ways to work around the travel issues in FA. Here at Boise State, we're being told to put all of our courses online because students will be told to not return after spring break. The University purchased 23,000 ZOOM licenses, enough for every student, so that we can meet with them online.

The pro-days are another issue perhaps. Maybe they can do those on video and post them to some secure site for teams to watch.

Las Vegas will be pissed, but they can even do the draft without having an event. All teams have to use the TDN site. Tongue
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Anyone going to the NFL Draft in Las Vegas. Should get a great time.
(03-12-2020, 01:20 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Anyone going to the NFL Draft in Las Vegas.  Should get a great time.

At the rate things are going with various sports shutting things down it may be affected.  I just read that the NCAA basketball tournament is going to restricted to minimal staffing and select family members.  I would not be surprised if the draft meets a similar fate.  In that case it will probably just be televised with teams calling in their picks from their home office or something like that.  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
(03-12-2020, 01:07 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: So much for serious discussion.  Thread derailed right from the jump.  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is all just wild speculation at this point.  No one has a clue what will happen.  We've never seen steps like this taken before.
(03-12-2020, 01:20 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Anyone going to the NFL Draft in Las Vegas.  Should get a great time.

I'd have considered going but a couple of weeks ago the hotels had their room rates jacked up about triple the normal for that week.