Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could Jackson do it again?
So theres better jobs out there then Cleveland. I cant see Hue taking it. Cleveland will be the last HC job filled. No one wants that job.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2016, 09:52 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: There is no way that I would trade him for a 2nd round pick.  He's a very good backup QB, and that is very hard to find.  I know that pick value is down right now and no teams are really trading high draft picks for players, but if it isn't at least a 1st, I say keep him.

He is a capable backup at a very manageable salary for the next couple of years.  Logic tells us that Dalton will go down again at some point... I personally keep McCarron for as long as possible.
Reply/Quote
I think AJMC has showed potential of a starter one day.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2016, 11:27 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: So theres better jobs out there then Cleveland. I cant see Hue taking it. Cleveland will be the last HC job filled. No one wants that job.

Cleveland will have to overpay to anyone or get a desperate guy.
Reply/Quote
Hue is not going to the Browns.

He's going to be on the short list for the next couple years (top five candidate) and there's already seven openings this year. There could be another before it's said and done. Next year there's likely to be somewhere between 4-6. No way Hue settles for the Browns.

Personally, I think he's going to the Bucs or the 49ers. One has their QB and needs an offense to move forward, the other will likely be getting a QB in the near future. Miami would be an outside shot, since I really think they'll go with Lynn.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2016, 01:09 AM)Sovereign Nation Wrote: OK, so the Browns are interested in Hue.  I say good for him.

However, if Hue goes, he will want and need a franchise QB.  The draft doesn't look too good for getting a signal caller, and not too many on the market either.

So with the way that AJ McCarron is playing, could Hue maybe pull off another trade with the Bengals for AJ?

I am not saying that we will get a 1st and conditional 2nd round pick for the guy (though that would be sweet).  However, I could see us trading him for a 2nd rounder or maybe even a 3rd rounder.  

So I wonder, could you see Hue doing another deal with us?

If you were Hue Jackson would you go to the Browns when it is very likely he'll be one of the top candidates at Miami, Tampa Bay and San Fran?  The Browns organization is extremely disfunctional.  They are a last ditch desperation job that a bottom-feeder candidate will be willing to take.  Definitely not a job for someone with serious pedigree.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2016, 01:09 AM)Sovereign Nation Wrote: OK, so the Browns are interested in Hue.  I say good for him.

However, if Hue goes, he will want and need a franchise QB.  The draft doesn't look too good for getting a signal caller, and not too many on the market either.

So with the way that AJ McCarron is playing, could Hue maybe pull off another trade with the Bengals for AJ?

I am not saying that we will get a 1st and conditional 2nd round pick for the guy (though that would be sweet).  However, I could see us trading him for a 2nd rounder or maybe even a 3rd rounder.  

So I wonder, could you see Hue doing another deal with us?

I see no way Bengals would consider a trade for AJ unless the offer is off the charts. Why would we? AJ makes less than a million a year which is a steal for a potential franchise QB. His value can only go up and we can trade him when he is due for a second and expensive contract. It would be very dumb on our part to give him up to allow any team major cap options to build around him (less than 1 million a year) and allows us the luxury of having a solid inexpensive and now experienced NFL backup.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2016, 12:52 PM)Benton Wrote: Hue is not going to the Browns.

He's going to be on the short list for the next couple years (top five candidate) and there's already seven openings this year. There could be another before it's said and done. Next year there's likely to be somewhere between 4-6. No way Hue settles for the Browns.

Personally, I think he's going to the Bucs or the 49ers. One has their QB and needs an offense to move forward, the other will likely be getting a QB in the near future. Miami would be an outside shot, since I really think they'll go with Lynn.

I could see Hue going to Tenn. or Tampa (franchise QB's in place already) versus a team like the Browns where head coaches go to be fired and careers ruined.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2016, 09:52 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: There is no way that I would trade him for a 2nd round pick.  He's a very good backup QB, and that is very hard to find.  I know that pick value is down right now and no teams are really trading high draft picks for players, but if it isn't at least a 1st, I say keep him.

Agree with this.  He is still under contract and a very capable back up.  Only when he is in his final year would I consider.  Or if like you say we were offered a #1.  Then you gotta do it, especially if it's an early #1.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2016, 12:09 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Cleveland will have to overpay to anyone or get a desperate guy.

Hue isn't desperate, he can have his pick of a number of jobs, all of which are better off then Cleveland. Cleveland will reach for some under the radar guy hoping he'll be some kind of wiz kid and magically turn things around, then he wont in two seasons and they bail on him. Wash, rinse and repeat.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2016, 11:41 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: He is a capable backup at a very manageable salary for the next couple of years.  Logic tells us that Dalton will go down again at some point... I personally keep McCarron for as long as possible.

(01-07-2016, 01:12 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I see no way Bengals would consider a trade for AJ unless the offer is off the charts. Why would we? AJ makes less than a million a year which is a steal for a potential franchise QB. His value can only go up and we can trade him when he is due for a second and expensive contract. It would be very dumb on our part to give him up to allow any team major cap options to build around him (less than 1 million a year) and allows us the luxury of having a solid inexpensive and now experienced NFL backup.

(01-07-2016, 01:18 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: Agree with this.  He is still under contract and a very capable back up.  Only when he is in his final year would I consider.  Or if like you say we were offered a #1.  Then you gotta do it, especially if it's an early #1.

OK, I will try to explain this, since it isn't already evident. We don't have McCarron for ever. We signed him to a 4 year contract and this is year 2. So at best we have him playing for the next 2 seasons and resign him to replace Andy. At worst he sits on the bench and walks to a team when he hits FA. In only one of these are you getting any value.

I see "wait until his final year", that isn't that far off and then you have to look at the QB class and see how AJM stacks up compared to the potential in that class to see if we will get a high enough pick. Usually that answer is no, and yes teams will trade during a players final contract year, but a lot of times they will just wait out that year and then make an offer.

So if trading AJM is a possibility then now would be the time to do so. He was a 5th round pick and is playing good football, good enough to b a starter, and any team willing to offer a 2nd rounder for him should be looked at very carefully. The Browns are not the only team in need of a QB, but they are interested in Hue and if Hue did take the position, he would need a QB. It wouldn't be that much of a stretch to think that he might want AJM and be willing to make an offer.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2016, 01:00 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: If you were Hue Jackson would you go to the Browns when it is very likely he'll be one of the top candidates at Miami, Tampa Bay and San Fran?  The Browns organization is extremely disfunctional.  They are a last ditch desperation job that a bottom-feeder candidate will be willing to take.  Definitely not a job for someone with serious pedigree.

I would prefer Cleveland over SF and Miami.  Those teams are in worse shape than Cleveland when it comes to mismanagement.

As far as TB.  I don't like Winston and wouldn't want to work with him.  I also don't like Tannehill and would prefer to work with my own QB of my choosing. 

Now Tenn is a possibility but again, I didn't choose Mariota and my success is dependent on his success.  So does he fit my scheme, how much adjusting would need to be done to make sure all of the pieces fit?

The Browns are a mess.  However, they do have some things that I could work with.  The defense isn't terrible, they do have an OK OLine, and I know that if I went there, I will have a chance to get a QB of my own choosing. 

The reason I am skeptical of SF, is because they had a good coach, and ran him out of town, then they fired his replacement without any rebuilding period.  So what type of place is that?
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2016, 11:41 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: He is a capable backup at a very manageable salary for the next couple of years.  Logic tells us that Dalton will go down again at some point... I personally keep McCarron for as long as possible.

Exactly.  I really don't understand the thought process of trading AJ.  It took years to find a capable backup.  Would people rather have Keith Wenning as their playoff QB?  If other teams thought highly enough about AJ to offer a first or really any early round pick, he wouldn't have lasted until late in the 5th round.  Three or four average games is not going to change their assessment.

Thankfully the days of Josh Johnson, Jason Campbell and the like are done for a while.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2016, 01:13 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I could see Hue going to Tenn. or Tampa (franchise QB's in place already) versus a team like the Browns where head coaches go to be fired and careers ruined.

Yet, neither one were guys that he chose, and they are both young QBs that could be 1 year wonders.  Out of all the jobs available, NYG is the best solution, you know you have a SB winning QB, and a top shelf WR.  Not only that, but they seem to be able to give a HC time to mold a franchise, instead of expect immediate results.

My ranking of places to go....

NYG
Philly
Cleveland
Miami
Tampa Bay
Tenn
SF

Philly could be the destination and they could also use a QB.  So that would probably satisfy the fan base as far as going outside of the division.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2016, 03:57 PM)JADefense Wrote: Exactly.  I really don't understand the thought process of trading AJ.  It took years to find a capable backup.  Would people rather have Keith Wenning as their playoff QB?  If other teams thought highly enough about AJ to offer a first or really any early round pick, he wouldn't have lasted until late in the 5th round.  Three or four average games is not going to change their assessment.

Thankfully the days of Josh Johnson, Jason Campbell and the like are done for a while.

ummm... try 2 years.  Not only that but we wouldn't be able to trade AJ until AFTER this season is over, so it isn't like we wouldn't have him for this years playoffs or anything.

Matt Cassel was traded after playing a short amount of reps.  Also keep in my that Hue is currently coaching AJ, so he has a little bit more knowledge concerning his ability than the majority of the NFL.

Why keep a guy if a team is offering a 2nd round pick for him?  That would be stupid, to not take a 2nd round pick, because you need a "quality back up".  A back up only sees the field in an emergency situation, so to essentially be able to trade in a 5th round back up QB for a 2nd round pick is actually a smart move.
Reply/Quote
There are 2 possibilities to blow this thing up and have Hue as Cincinnati head coach next year:
1) Cincinnati lose Saturday night; release Marvin Sunday morning and offer Hue the job. He'd be seriously crazy to turn it down.
2) Cincinnati win Saturday, and keep winning out to Super Bowl. Marvin announced already if they won Super Bowl he'd retire. Then let Hue fill in the void.

If we win Saturday, but lose anytime after that, this is Marvin's team until he chooses to retire.
[Image: d1id.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2016, 11:27 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: So theres better jobs out there then Cleveland. I cant see Hue taking it. Cleveland will be the last HC job filled. No one wants that job.

Totally agree w/ that.  You go to Cleveland and you are let go inside of 2 years with a tarnished resume.  Stupid move - I'd stay offensive coordinator before taking that HC.  
[Image: d1id.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2016, 03:57 PM)Sovereign Nation Wrote: Yet, neither one were guys that he chose, and they are both young QBs that could be 1 year wonders.  Out of all the jobs available, NYG is the best solution, you know you have a SB winning QB, and a top shelf WR.  Not only that, but they seem to be able to give a HC time to mold a franchise, instead of expect immediate results.

My ranking of places to go....

NYG
Philly
Cleveland
Miami
Tampa Bay
Tenn
SF

Philly could be the destination and they could also use a QB.  So that would probably satisfy the fan base as far as going outside of the division.

They have a wildly inconsistent quarterback who is 35 years old and a top flight wide receiver.  Outside of that, the Giants have nothing. There are a lot better situations.
Reply/Quote

Completely agree,

Unless someone offers up a 1st round or 2nd round pick for him.  Then you have to really consider moving him and getting a solid veteran backup.
Reply/Quote
I would laugh out loud if someone even entertained offering a 2nd round pick for McCarron.

At least when Hue pulled the Carson trade there was a (slight) argument it was worth it.
Reply/Quote