Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could this be Mike Brown's last year?
Sorry, no rumors or any reason to think this except for my own musings.

However, let's suppose during this 50th Season the Bengals set a new low and go 0-16. Would that be enough for Mike Brown to officially step away and renounce ALL decision making duties and turn the team over officially to Katie?
This is supposed to be a banner year for the Bengals and they turn in their worst season in history. Would it be enough for MB to finally just walk away (figuratively speaking)?

Now, to his credit, Brown has given up a lot of control to Marvin, Tobin and Katie already. But, would he make it official and say he has NO authority anymore over the Bengals?

I know we all wish he would retire already, but would he?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 12:20 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Sorry, no rumors or any reason to think this except for my own musings.

However, let's suppose during this 50th Season the Bengals set a new low and go 0-16. Would that be enough for Mike Brown to officially step away and renounce ALL decision making duties and turn the team over officially to Katie?
This is supposed to be a banner year for the Bengals and they turn in their worst season in history. Would it be enough for MB to finally just walk away (figuratively speaking)?

Now, to his credit, Brown has given up a lot of control to Marvin, Tobin and Katie already. But, would he make it official and say he has NO authority anymore over the Bengals?

If anything, it might cause him to take more power back.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 12:23 PM)McC Wrote: If anything, it might cause him to take more power back.

Don't say that. I'm more than fine with losing if we get rid of Marvin but not at the expense of getting Brown back.  Nervous
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 12:28 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Don't say that. I'm more than fine with losing if we get rid of Marvin but not at the expense of getting Brown back.  Nervous

Well, he gave Marv all power and look where's it's gotten him on the 50th anniversary.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 12:20 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Sorry, no rumors or any reason to think this except for my own musings.

I love how people think that turning the team over to his daughter will yield totally different results.

She's learned the business from her dad for HER ENTIRE LIFE.

What makes you think during that training that she developed drastically different views from his?
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 12:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I love how people think that turning the team over to his daughter will yield totally different results.

What makes you think during that training that she developed drastically different views from his?

Well, she did disagree with Dad on which coach to hire.  So maybe they don't always see eye to eye.  And it's not like Mike follows everything Paul did.  (I'm looking at you, Jeffro).

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 12:43 PM)McC Wrote: Well, she did disagree with Dad on which coach to hire.  So maybe they don't always see eye to eye.  And it's not like Mike follows everything Paul did.  (I'm looking at you, Jeffro).

It's possible. Any change is good at this point.

The quickest change they can make to move us towards the rest of the league would be to hire a new HC and let him bring his own staff in...and let them focus on coaching.

Hire a GM and more scouts. We absolutely have to have more scouts so they can be at college games. This sending coaches to workouts after the season is no good. We end up with guys who are good at working out but not good at football in some instances because of this. (Notice how most of the lineman we draft are touted as being extremely strong? Bodine. Westerman. Billings. It's because we mainly scout workouts.)
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 12:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I love how people think that turning the team over to his daughter will yield totally different results.

For me, I get the sense that she recognizes that she's not as knowledgeable on the football side of a football team. She may be an expert on contract negotiations and the business side of things, but not so much the football side. As such, I would think she's also smart enough to know that if she doesn't know football as much as she should, then she would hire someone who would (like say, a GM?).

Yes, this doesn't mean we would automatically turn things around because the issues the last couple years, IMO, stem from the coaching staff first and foremost, but it could have a long-lasting POSITIVE change.
Reply/Quote

It really could be as simple as Katie deciding that she'd rather sit back and let someone else run the day-to-day football operations while she counts her money.  I'm aware that she is currently involved in player contract negotiations, but otherwise has she ever indicated that she really wants to run the team?  Suppose the drive isn't there?   
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 12:54 PM)PhilHos Wrote: For me, I get the sense that she recognizes that she's not as knowledgeable on the football side of a football team. She may be an expert on contract negotiations and the business side of things, but not so much the football side. As such, I would think she's also smart enough to know that if she doesn't know football as much as she should, then she would hire someone who would (like say, a GM?).

Yes, this doesn't mean we would automatically turn things around because the issues the last couple years, IMO, stem from the coaching staff first and foremost, but it could have a long-lasting POSITIVE change.

We had to lead the league in 1st Round Pick holdouts before slotted salaries.

One of the reasons I assume they wont hire a GM...is a GM would want to sign free agents.
Reply/Quote
We are in the pursuit of perfection for our 50th bday. Marvelous Marvin has seen 3 different presidents in office and he has nothing to show for in the years he has been here. He's like our great LT number 70 just awful
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 01:20 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: We are in the pursuit of perfection for our 50th bday. Marvelous Marvin has seen 3 different presidents in office and he has nothing to show for in the years he has been here. He's like our great LT number 70 just awful

Yup, and it gets even better when you realize the guy who hand picked #70 has been here for TWENTY FIVE years. Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Mike will be on his death bed still pulling the strings on this team.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 01:29 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Mike will be on his death bed still pulling the strings on this team.

That's what worries me.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 01:33 PM)PhilHos Wrote: That's what worries me.

I doubt it. In fact, I'm fairly certain Mike has taken a significant step back already. Enough of a step that he's pretty much a non factor. 

He was quoted a year or so ago saying something along the lines of, "it's Marvin and Katie's team now". That quote and a few others from various people over the years (like Marvin essentially saying it was his choice to fire Zampese) tells me Mike is owner/GM in name only. He's been slowly handing over the team for years and what we're seeing now is a direct result of Marvin Lewis. Katie is doing her usual duties of negotiating contracts. Marvin has the vast majority of control now. I believe this is the coaching staff he wanted, the offensive line he wanted, and the players he wanted. And I gotta tell ya... I'm not impressed  Whatever

Hopefully Katie is brave enough to let Marv walk after this year. And hopefully she lets whoever takes his place have as much control as Marvin does/did. 
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 01:55 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: I doubt it. In fact, I'm fairly certain Mike has taken a significant step back already. Enough of a step that he's pretty much a non factor. 

He was quoted a year or so ago saying something along the lines of, "it's Marvin and Katie's team now". That quote and a few others from various people over the years (like Marvin essentially saying it was his choice to fire Zampese) tells me Mike is owner/GM in name only. He's been slowly handing over the team for years and what we're seeing now is a direct result of Marvin Lewis. Katie is doing her usual duties of negotiating contracts. Marvin has the vast majority of control now. I believe this is the coaching staff he wanted, the offensive line he wanted, and the players he wanted. And I gotta tell ya... I'm not impressed  Whatever

Hopefully Katie is brave enough to let Marv walk after this year. And hopefully she lets whoever takes his place have as much control as Marvin does/did. 

There is no way that this is the offensive line that Marvin wanted. There is also no way that Marvin Lewis wanted to go into the season with $18.6 million in cap space.
Reply/Quote
If Katie runs the team I think she has better boundaries than her father and I think she doesn't tolerate as much.

But I hope it is Mike Brown's last year. Because I still think that he at least Whispers In Marvin's ears.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 01:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There is no way that this is the offensive line that Marvin wanted. There is also no way that Marvin Lewis wanted to go into the season with $18.6 million in cap space.

You're right, it wasn't. Marv fully expected Whitworth to come back and when that assumption bit him in the ass, he made a desperation signing with a familiar face in Andre Smith. Marv was never too keen on giving Zeitler an extension for reasons I'll never understand. Granted, I don't think we should have matched the absurd amount Cleveland offered him but still. He was a talented lineman, show some effort. But who else were we going to sign once whit and Zeitler were gone? I'm honestly asking because I don't recall a significant amount of effective FA OLineman available... And there wasn't much in the draft either IMO.

Marv and Paul decided to roll with the young draft picks and we're paying for it dearly. I believe they thought (well, hoped) they would improve enough to be a serviceable oline. 

They did address the Oline in the 2015 draft, but the draft picks are simply not working out.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 02:08 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: You're right, it wasn't. Marv fully expected Whitworth to come back and when that assumption bit him in the ass, he made a desperation signing with a familiar face in Andre Smith. Marv was never too keen on giving Zeitler an extension for reasons I'll never understand. Granted, I don't think we should have matched the absurd amount Cleveland offered him but still. He was a talented lineman, show some effort. But who else were we going to sign once whit and Zeitler were gone? I'm honestly asking because I don't recall a significant amount of effective FA OLineman available... And there wasn't much in the draft either IMO.

Marv and Paul decided to roll with the young draft picks and we're paying for it dearly. I believe they thought (well, hoped) they would improve enough to be a serviceable oline. 

They did address the Oline in the 2015 draft, but the draft picks are simply not working out.
Those are Paul Alexander picks.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 02:08 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: You're right, it wasn't. Marv fully expected Whitworth to come back and when that assumption bit him in the ass, he made a desperation signing with a familiar face in Andre Smith. Marv was never too keen on giving Zeitler an extension for reasons I'll never understand. Granted, I don't think we should have matched the absurd amount Cleveland offered him but still. He was a talented lineman, show some effort. But who else were we going to sign once whit and Zeitler were gone? I'm honestly asking because I don't recall a significant amount of effective FA OLineman available... And there wasn't much in the draft either IMO.

So you think Marvin decided not to extend Zeitler? It's Bengals Management. They're the ones that pocket the money that is not spend. No way would a coach care about that.
Reply/Quote