Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cowboys open to trading RT La'el Collins
(03-10-2022, 09:33 PM)basballguy Wrote: I actually forgot about the suspension, thanks for that.  Now I have to go back and look and see why he really missed time since my memory sucks.

Games 2-6 Suspension
Game 7 - backup off suspension
Game 11 - "rotated out" 
Game 13 - ejected for throwing a punch

So no injuries this year, you are correct. 

Yeah, don't get me wrong dude has some baggage, but if he didn't you wouldn't be able to trade for him while he's under 30 for 3yr/$30m. Lol. The talent is there though.

It basically comes down to if you believe his baggage is a smaller risk than risking a rookie RT being a quality starter right away.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 09:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: OK, $10 Mil is a lot better to swallow. The dude comes with a lot of baggage. I really think he can be had for our 2nd at best. Cowboys are in Cap hell.

It only saves them 1.5M against the cap. So if they’re trading him, it’s because he’s an issue in the locker room. Looking at the cowboys boards, most are happy to see him go as he comes in camp overweight. Doesn’t seem like he loves football. Most would be happy with a 3rd or higher.

I would absolutely part with a 3rd. 2nd is tough. Absolutely not a 1st. I think we’ll get a great value pick at 31 with someone sliding, probably a corner- which we need bad.

All in, 10M for future RT is too good to pass up.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 09:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, don't get me wrong dude has some baggage, but if he didn't you wouldn't be able to trade for him while he's under 30 for 3yr/$30m. Lol. The talent is there though.

It basically comes down to if you believe his baggage is a smaller risk than risking a rookie RT being a quality starter right away.

Oh I'm totally in the camp of filling our voids on the line via free agency (or trade).  Anything is better than what we got.  
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
He just doesn't seem like the personality we want in the locker room with the current culture, It's a huge risk/reward. If what folks are saying "we can cut him in the future with 0 dead cap, then I'd say go for it. What's to lose?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 05:02 PM)Synric Wrote: I wonder what the asking overall price would be for Collins. Team that gets him will be responsible for his 10mil base salary through 2024.

Collins really fits the Bengals and if the price is right would be a solid pick up.

Worth noting that Pollack was the OL coach when Collins was a rookie.
Collins was solid during Pollack's tenure (2015-2017), but he really ascended 2018-2021.

Pollack might push for trading a guy he liked enough to bring in to his former team.

Collins' base salary for the next 3 years is $10 mill each year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 11:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Worth noting that Pollack was the OL coach when Collins was drafted.
Collins was solid during Pollack's tenure (2015-2017), but he really ascended 2018-2021.

Pollack might push for trading a guy he liked enough to draft.

Collins' base salary for the next 3 years is $10 mill each year.

FWIW, Collins wasn't drafted
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I'm curious if the compensation would only be for next years draft and not this one. Read they save 10M in cap if post June 1 which I feel would indicate it has to be for future picks. If yes, I'd consider next years 2nd which would likely be 64 with a player of his caliber.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 11:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: FWIW, Collins wasn't drafted

Oh I thought he was a really late pick that year, but I guess he was UDFA.
Regardless, he was added to the Cowboys the first year Pollack was OL coach.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 05:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think it's cap, it's already leaked out that they are going to release Amari Cooper if they don't find a trade partner, for cap reasons.  Those huge QB contracts are putting teams in a tough position.

Pretty soon we will have to give Joe Burrow a big contract as well. 
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 12:17 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Oh I thought he was a really late pick that year, but I guess he was UDFA.
Regardless, he was added to the Cowboys the first year Pollack was OL coach.

After the story came out that he was going to be questioned for that murder, he freefell. From 1st to late but he forced teams hands when he said that he wouldn't play if drafted late, opting to sit out instead for the following years draft. He went undrafted so since he could pick his own team, went to Dallas.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 06:05 AM)magikod Wrote: Pretty soon we will have to give Joe Burrow a big contract as well. 

I know, that's why when your franchise QB is still on his rookie deal, it's so important to take advantage of the opportunity to load up and win it all.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 09:08 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I know, that's why when your franchise QB is still on his rookie deal, it's so important to take advantage of the opportunity to load up and win it all.

& we just came up short of that goal.   Cry Today is one of those days I'm feeling the sting of the loss. Burrow and squad were oh so close to bringing home victory. It's hard to get back to the Super Bowl so I hope the team can accomplish the task and then win it all.
Reply/Quote
At most I’d give up a 2nd round pick then you got Collins and Williams at tackle. I’d then bring in at least one high end interior guy like Jennson or a guard and use the draft to fill in the other holes , plus Carman could be better in year 2. Basically copying the Chiefs formula with the line from last year.
Reply/Quote
I am reading through this and no doubt Collins has some character concerns, it is why he was not drafted in the first place. So, do Bengals feel they can reign in the character with the current locker room leadership?

You don't see a RT with a PFF score over 80 available for 10 million per year for 3 years. Oh, and he is a young player.

I am in the corner to pursue and would gladly give up a 2nd round pick in 2022 and a 6th round pick in 2023 to obtain him.

But, I am a bit of a risk taker, but in this case with no dead money (we can cut him at any time), the reward outweighs the risk.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Collins would be a great pickup production-wise and hope for the best with the red flags. 80 PFF Score, top blocker.

This could be a draft swap:

Our 1st for Dallas 2nd or our 2nd for Dallas 3rd... all really good deals for us in my opinion.

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 09:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, don't get me wrong dude has some baggage, but if he didn't you wouldn't be able to trade for him while he's under 30 for 3yr/$30m. Lol. The talent is there though.

I agree with the risk, but to me a greater risk thinking a rookie RT at pick #31 will be a RT who scores 80 or above in PFF grade in 2022. Joe B. needs someone ready now, not a project good enough to start, but being groomed to be great in a few years.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 10:47 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I am reading through this and no doubt Collins has some character concerns, it is why he was not drafted in the first place. So, do Bengals feel they can reign in the character with the current locker room leadership?

You don't see a RT with a PFF score over 80 available for 10 million per year for 3 years. Oh, and he is a young player.

I am in the corner to pursue and would gladly give up a 2nd round pick in 2022 and a 6th round pick in 2023 to obtain him.

But, I am a bit of a risk taker, but in this case with no dead money (we can cut him at any time), the reward outweighs the risk.

No questions about the man's playing abilities.  However, what we've seen thus far in the Zac Taylor era is a strong preference for high character, high football IQ guys.  Not sure that Collins would even be on Taylor's radar, especially after the attempt to bribe the sample taker thing.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 05:26 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Collins is the better overall scheme fit, no doubt...but it was reported the Bengals had serious interest in Williams previously. Both would be a huge upgrade, but Collins also comes with a lot of baggage...too much for pick 31, IMO.

Not only too much for 31, but I wouldn't give better than a 4th rounder for him.  He has some baggage and a huge salary.  Likely Dallas wlil need to cut him if they don't trade him, so he's moving regardless.  Offer a 4th rounder to take his contract, then re-negotiate a 2 year extension with more guaranteed money to get his future cap number down.

You don't slow bet when you know the other guy ha a losing hand.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 10:48 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Collins would be a great pickup production-wise and hope for the best with the red flags.  80 PFF Score, top blocker.

This could be a draft swap:

Our 1st for Dallas 2nd or our 2nd for Dallas 3rd...  all really good deals for us in my opinion.

Way too much.  Way way too much.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 11:28 AM)Stewy Wrote: Way too much.  Way way too much.

Agreed, since Mack was traded without the Chargers giving up a first then it is fair to assume any team acquiring Collins also won't have to give up a first round pick. 

I'd consider something like:

Bengals acquire Collins and a 2022 4th round pick
Cowboys acquire 2022 3rd round and 6th round pick

Even then, that might be an overpay. 
Reply/Quote