Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cuomo admits he's lost total control of NYC
(09-11-2020, 04:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually I don't know of a single case where a white person was murdered by police and the officer was not charged.  But I was hesitant to say "never".

Why don't you find one to prove your point.

Zachary Hammond
John Albers
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 04:20 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I'm not going to comment on Ahmed Abrery because I don't know the details, but with Breonna Tayler, please list what laws the police broke. Sure, it's a horrible tragedy that should not have occurred and sure, no knock warrants should probably be outlawed, but from what I've read the police did nothing criminal there.

They used bad, outdated information to get the warrant. Then they fired blindly into the apartment.  Don't know if their negligence/recklessness rises to the level of criminality, but it has taken 6 months before they even presented the case to a grand jury to decide.

It is a pattern.  The protests over the  Treyvon Martin killing were not so much about the actual shooting as the fact that the police did not even investigate it as a possible homicide until people started protesting months later.  With Ahmed Arbery the DA actually saw the murder on video but did not say a crime was committed until the video leaked to the public. Even then a State Prosecutor had to step in to bring the charges.

The issue is not always guilt or innocence.  Many times it is about the crimes not even being investigated.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 04:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They used bad, outdated information to get the warrant. 

If true, still not a crime. It's not good policing, but not a crime.

(09-11-2020, 04:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Then they fired blindly into the apartment.  

You mean they returned fire, right? 'Cause they didn't just open fire out of nowhere. Again, not a crime.

(09-11-2020, 04:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't know if their negligence/recklessness rises to the level of criminality, but it has taken 6 months before they even presented the case to a grand jury to decide.
Were prosecutors sitting on their thumbs for the whole 6 months? Or where they actively investigating and it took 6 months before presenting a case to the grand jury? 
(09-11-2020, 04:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is a pattern.  The protests over the  Treyvon Martin killing were not so much about the actual shooting as the fact that the police did not even investigate it as a possible homicide until people started protesting months later.

Trayvon Martin wasn't killed by the police. Don't know why you're bringing him into this.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 04:37 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Zachary Hammond
John Albers

Good job.

More proof that police reform is needed.  Why not join BLM in demanding it.  They changes they want would help all races so why oppose it?
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 05:38 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Trayvon Martin wasn't killed by the police. Don't know why you're bringing him into this.

Because the police were the ones who failed to investigate.

Ahmed Arbrery was not killed by police either, but it was the same problem of police/DA failing to prosecute/investigate th killing of a minority.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 05:38 PM)PhilHos Wrote: You mean they returned fire, right? 'Cause they didn't just open fire out of nowhere. Again, not a crime.

It absolutely could be a crime for a police officer to fire his gun blindly without regard for human life.  The officer who did it has already been fired.  Why are you so eager to defend police when their own superiors know they messed up. 

It seems you are more eager to bash BLM than to get any sort of justice.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 05:38 PM)PhilHos Wrote: If true, still not a crime. It's not good policing, but not a crime.

It could be a crime if they did it intentionally and it led to someone's death.

And it is exactly the same thing that FoxNews and Lindsey Graham are saying FBI agents should go to jail for doing when the victim was one of Trumps boys..  If you were black you would understand why they feel the right is so racist.  
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 05:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: More proof that police reform is needed. 

Never denied that it was needed. I don't like when police kill ANY one of ANY color.

(09-11-2020, 05:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Why not join BLM in demanding it.  They changes they want would help all races so why oppose it?

Because I don't believe that they care about any race other than blacks. Not to mention some of the other things they believe (like America is systemically racist).

I will say this: as soon as they're ready to discuss actual policy proposals instead of just protesting, I'm down to listen.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 05:38 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Were prosecutors sitting on their thumbs for the whole 6 months? Or where they actively investigating and it took 6 months before presenting a case to the grand jury? 

It appears that part of the delay involved the Prosecutors in Louisville offering a plea deal to the drug trafficker involved in that investigation if he would implicate Taylor.  That would justify the police action in getting the "no knock" warrant.  Unfortunately that deal was refused and it made the news.

Hard to claim the DAs office was just "investigating" all this time when they get caught pulingl shit like that.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 06:02 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Because I don't believe that they care about any race other than blacks.

So even though the policies would help all races you are going to oppose them because black people are asking for them?

(09-11-2020, 06:02 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I will say this: as soon as they're ready to discuss actual policy proposals instead of just protesting, I'm down to listen.

How about having mental health experts respond to calls involving people having mental health issues instead of police officers?

How about having an independent DA who does not work with local law enforcement to handle the prosecution of cases involving alleged police misconduct?

How about more training for police officers in "de-escalation" and race relations?

These are all policies they have suggested.  
Reply/Quote