Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cuomo admits he's lost total control of NYC
(09-06-2020, 01:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The only reason I know anything about it is because YOU posted about it.

You claimed that you received a warning about language that did not really violate the rules but you just used it too often.  LOL 

So stop disturbing yourself

Fair enough.  I still believe discussing it is against forum rules so I will kindly ask you to cease.  
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2020, 01:15 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I was so waiting for that.  You're like the person who talks about people killed in terrorist attacks "since 09/12/2001".   Hilarious

Okay then.  Now that we have shown that your response to my question made no sense lets try again.

What is your explanation for why we have had so many riots based on racial incidents over the last 50 years, but never had this current level of protest and rioting until Trump became President.

Since most Trump defenders have been programmed to blame the media I will go ahead and point out that the media has been here for the last fifty years also.  So have Democratic Mayors of major cities. So I don't see any logic in either of those answers.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2020, 01:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Okay then.  Now that we have shown that your response to my question made no sense lets try again.

What is your explanation for why we have had so many riots based on racial incidents over the last 50 years, but never had this current level of protest and rioting until Trump became President.

Since most Trump defenders have been programmed to blame the media I will go ahead and point out that the media has been here for the last fifty years also.  So have Democratic Mayors of major cities. So I don't see any logic in either of those answers.

Make the time frame 60 years and we'll talk.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2020, 01:39 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Make the time frame 60 years and we'll talk.

Read: i don't have an answer; please ask another question.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2020, 01:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Okay then.  Now that we have shown that your response to my question made no sense lets try again.

I just thought the reason for the cutoff date of your time frame was amusingly obvious.  Actually, we've discussed this very topic extensively here on the board and there was a broad consensus, put best and most succinctly by Bel.  Please refer to it if you like.

Essentially it's a combination of numerous factors.  The fear and uncertainty of the pandemic, the cabin fever and frustration of the quarantine/lock down, the especially egregious nature of Floyd's death, the large amounts of unemployed people with uncertain finances and future prospects, the partisan polarization which has steadily worsened over time (of which Trump is a symptom, although he certainly exacerbates it), the increasing division of racial/identity politics, the friendly treatment of the riots by both the media and the Dems which emboldens escalation, the handcuffing and demonization of law enforcement, the treatment of criminals with increasing leniency, the perceived earth shattering importance of the impending election.

We probably came up with more, and not everyone agreed with everything on that list, but that's a pretty complete listing of the factors that we all discussed.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2020, 03:37 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I just thought the reason for the cutoff date of your time frame was amusingly obvious. 

Actually I think it is pretty amusing that you are not aware that the 1960's had both the Vietnam War and the passage of the Civil Rights Act.

Just a little basic history will explain why that decade had more reasons for protesting and rioting than any since.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2020, 08:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually I think it is pretty amusing that you are not aware that the 1960's had both the Vietnam War and the passage of the Civil Rights Act.

Why would you assume facts not in evidence, counselor?  A small tip, stick to what you can prove and quite making baseless accusations about what your "opponents" know or don't know.  It's not a flattering look.

Quote:Just a little basic history will explain why that decade had more reasons for protesting and rioting than any since.

I'll take this utterly brief and generic reply to mean you could find nothing to nitpick in my actual response.  I'll sleep easy tonight!  Smirk
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2020, 10:26 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Why would you assume facts not in evidence, counselor?  A small tip, stick to what you can prove and quite making baseless accusations about what your "opponents" know or don't know.  It's not a flattering look.

Because you wanted to include the 1960's in a discussion about why we have excessive rioting and protesting.  The situation in the 1960's was so different anyone who knew about Vitenam War and the Civil Rights Act would know there was no reason to include that decade in the same  discussion with the last 50 years.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2020, 10:29 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Because you wanted to include the 1960's in a discussion about why we have excessive rioting and protesting.  The situation in the 1960's was so different anyone who knew about Vitenam War and the Civil Rights Act would know there was no reason to include that decade in the same  discussion with the last 50 years.

Interesting.  Of course, using the exact same logic one would have to look at the current year entirely on its own as the situation is "so different" than anything prior as to be an obvious outlier.  I'll reiterate though, it's interesting that in two posts you didn't respond to my actual answer to your question.  Like I said, that means you couldn't find anything to nitpick.  Hurrah for me!  Smirk
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2020, 03:37 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Essentially it's a combination of numerous factors.  The fear and uncertainty of the pandemic,

FEAR OF PANDEMIC SHOULD KEEP PEOPLE AT HOME INSTEAD OF IN CROWDS PROTESTING

the cabin fever and frustration of the quarantine/lock down,

DON'T SEE WHY THIS WOULD CAUSE PEOPLE TO PROTEST EVERY NIGTH FOR MONTHS

the especially egregious nature of Floyd's death,

NO WORSE THAN THE GRAPHIC RODNEY KING BEAT DOWN.  THAT VIDEO WAS JUST AS SICKENING

the large amounts of unemployed people with uncertain finances and future prospects,

AGAIN, DON'T KNOW WHY THIS WOULD AUSE PEOPLE TO PROTEST FOR MONTHS.

the partisan polarization which has steadily worsened over time (of which Trump is a symptom, although he certainly exacerbates it),

YES MADE MUCH WORSE BY TRUMP, BUT EXISTED IN 2014 WHEN MICHAEL BROWN WAS KILLED.

the increasing division of racial/identity politics,

CAUSED MAINLY BY TRUMP BEING THE DARLING OF THE KKK AND WHITE NATIONALISTS

the friendly treatment of the riots by both the media and the Dems which emboldens escalation,

MEDIA TREATED THE PROTESTORS THE SAME IN 2014.

the handcuffing and demonization of law enforcement,

SAME HAPPENED IN 2014

the treatment of criminals with increasing leniency,

THIS SHOULD MAKE THE RIOTS LESS INTENSE INSTEAD OF MORE

the perceived earth shattering importance of the impending election.

AGAIN BECAUSE OF TRUMP BEING A FAVORITE OF THE KKK AND WHITE NATIONALISTS

Some of these may haver had a minor impact, but I don't see any of them being as big as the presence of a racist President who has promoted violence from his base.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2020, 05:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Some of these may haver had a minor impact, but I don't see any of them being as big as the presence of a racist President who has promoted violence from his base.

Your opinion, Fred, and hardly surprising considering your far left bent.  I put zero stock in it.  Take it up with the others who largely agreed with every point as well.  
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2020, 01:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Trump draws his power from the society that elected him.  So the protests and riots are going to be against the society that gave him his power.

Trump has not attacked a single individual out there protesting.  So this is not about individuals fighting back against Trump as an individual.  It is about a group fighting back against his policies and the society that supports them.

Which policies?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 01:20 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Which policies?

Defending the legacy of the Confederacy.

Supressing minority voting.

Limiting legal immigration from "shithole countries".

Destroying minority families by deportation of non-criminal undocumented immigrants.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2020, 01:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What is your explanation for why we have had so many riots based on racial incidents over the last 50 years, but never had this current level of protest and rioting until Trump became President.

2 words: coronavirus lockdowns. Many states have had various lockdowns and some are still in a lockdown state. Put simply, this means more people out of work and so have a lot more free time to protest and/or riot. 

Trump has been president for 4 years now. Why is it only NOW that there is "this current level of protest and rioting"? What's different between now and the previous first 3 years that could possibly explain the difference? Could it be, I don't know, the coronavirus? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 03:52 PM)Philhos Wrote: Trump has been president for 4 years now. Why is it only NOW that there is "this current level of protest and rioting"? What's different between now and the previous first 3 years that could possibly explain the difference? Could it be, I don't know, the coronavirus? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

There were 3 racially charged killings involving alleged misconduct by police/DA in the first 3 months of this year. That is what started all of this. How many times in the first 3 years did we have these types of incidents leading to protests?  I don't recall any.

There is ZERO evidence that all these protestors are unemployed due to the pandemic.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 04:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There were 3 racially charged killings involving alleged misconduct by police/DA in the first 3 months of this year. That is what started all of this. How many times in the first 3 years did we have these types of incidents leading to protests?  I don't recall any.

The George Floyd incident was so damn egregious that everyone was aghast, that's what started this.

Quote:There is ZERO evidence that all these protestors are unemployed due to the pandemic.

He didn't say all of them were nor was that his only point regarding the pandemic.  We had a very broad and open consensus as to the causes of the current unrest.  Very bipartisan as well.  You don't agree because it appears that your agreement with a topic has more to due with the source than the substance.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 04:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There were 3 racially charged killings involving alleged misconduct by police/DA in the first 3 months of this year. That is what started all of this. How many times in the first 3 years did we have these types of incidents leading to protests?  I don't recall any.

There is ZERO evidence that all these protestors are unemployed due to the pandemic.

Really? Zero evidence? There were no lockdowns? There isn't a high amount of unemployed currently in America? Ok.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 03:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Defending the legacy of the Confederacy.

Supressing minority voting.

Limiting legal immigration from "shithole countries".

Destroying minority families by deportation of non-criminal undocumented immigrants.

What policy does he have in place to defend the Confederacy

What policy does he have in place to suppress minority voting

What policy does he have to limit legal immigration from particular countries

The last is just an appeal for emotion. How dare he have a policy against illegal immigration. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 04:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What policy does he have in place to defend the Confederacy

Refusing to change names of military bases that honor Confederate War heroes even though the military wants to do it

(09-08-2020, 04:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What policy does he have in place to suppress minority voting

Favors voter ID laws and opposes mail voting.

(09-08-2020, 04:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What policy does he have to limit legal immigration from particular countries

Ended temporary resident permits for 60000 Haitians who fled to the United Sates after the 2010 earthquake.

Refused to designate Venezuelans temporary protected status at a time when thousands of refugees are seeking asylum from political persecution.

Increased cost of application for citizenship from $640 to $1160
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 04:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The last is just an appeal for emotion. How dare he have a policy against illegal immigration. 

But the Trump administration is making more and more of them illegal.

Many people who have been working here and paying taxes for years under "green card" status are now having their application for yearly renewal denied which leads to deportation.
Reply/Quote