Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cuomo admits he's lost total control of NYC
(09-10-2020, 03:22 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Because of foreign exchange students right?

Huh?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 08:47 PM)Von Cichlid Wrote: Why is it that somebody who takes the minimal effort required to get out and get an ID is more likely to vote Republican?

"Minimal effort" for people with money can be a huge hurdle for poor people.

Lack of transportation, lack of access to internet, lack of education/information on the issue, lack of a stable address.

The more money people have the more likely they are to vote Republican.  But in a democracy we are not supposed to put up hurdles that favor people with more money.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 08:24 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Huh?

Student ID’s
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 10:36 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Student ID’s

Foreign exchange students wouldn't have been able to register to vote in the first place, so not allowing student ID's at the polls has nothing to do with that.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 10:53 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Foreign exchange students wouldn't have been able to register to vote in the first place, so not allowing student ID's at the polls has nothing to do with that.

What if they post it third time?  Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote

resident aliens can get drivers licenses in Texas, so that reason is unlikely. The state would just not register someone who isn't a citizen to vote. The ID itself doesn't allow voting. 

Reply/Quote

It’s a joke guys
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 09:21 AM)fredtoast Wrote: "Minimal effort" for people with money can be a huge hurdle for poor people.

Lack of transportation, lack of access to internet, lack of education/information on the issue, lack of a stable address.

The more money people have the more likely they are to vote Republican.  But in a democracy we are not supposed to put up hurdles that favor people with more money.

I'm going to disagree with the prospect that it is such a major hurdle. 

How much information/education do you need to get an ID?  Go to the DMV and stand in line.

The reality is that it's a minor pain in the butt to have to go through the process every 5 years, but it's the law and you ought to do it.  FWIW, my white privilege never let me skip to the front of the line, so I stand there like a sucker and wait.  I don't complain though, I just go through with it. In the end, I have an ID, and I have no problem voting if I choose to vote.

As far as people with more money voting Republican, I would instead think that people who follow the systems in place are more likely to vote Republican. 

Someone who refuses to get an ID is likely someone who simply doesn't give enough of a flip to put up with the process, no more, no less.   

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 01:32 AM)Von Cichlid Wrote: I'm going to disagree with the prospect that it is such a major hurdle. 

How much information/education do you need to get an ID?  Go to the DMV and stand in line.

The reality is that it's a minor pain in the butt to have to go through the process every 5 years, but it's the law and you ought to do it.  FWIW, my white privilege never let me skip to the front of the line, so I stand there like a sucker and wait.  I don't complain though, I just go through with it. In the end, I have an ID, and I have no problem voting if I choose to vote.

As far as people with more money voting Republican, I would instead think that people who follow the systems in place are more likely to vote Republican. 

Someone who refuses to get an ID is likely someone who simply doesn't give enough of a flip to put up with the process, no more, no less.   

Every time this debate comes up my mind wanders to what the Framers would say about this issue.

Folks will bring up Poll tax and other will bring up why Electoral College.

Personally I think the founders would be in favor of methods to ensure you are "qualified' to exercise your Right; regardless who would think it dishonest.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 01:32 AM)Von Cichlid Wrote: I'm going to disagree with the prospect that it is such a major hurdle. 

That means you need transportatioun to the DMV.

And you may need to get a copy of a lost birth certificate.

And you will have to miss work and lose more money to stand in line all day.

All the things you think are simple can be bigger problems for the poor and minorities.

And the big point is that there is no proof that it has any real effect on voter fraud.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 12:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Every time this debate comes up my mind wanders to what the Framers would say about this issue.

Folks will bring up Poll tax and other will bring up why Electoral College.

Personally I think the founders would be in favor of methods to ensure you are "qualified' to exercise your Right; regardless who would think it dishonest.

Absolutely they would.

White.

Male.

Land owner.

Do we want that again?  No.

Ya know, it's almost like we progressed as a nation to a point where we understand that every person (18 and older/non felon...limits to rights and all that) should be able to vote.
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2020, 12:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have heard lots of right-wing tough guys around here claim they tell their kids to stand up to racist bullies and fight back.  So when a peaceful kid gets in a fight standing up to a racist bully these tough guys claim it is okay and blame the bully for the violence.  That is what is happening now.

Liberals have been around for the last 50 years while there have been ZERO widespread riots that lasted for months over racial issues.  Trump has not.

Tell me why you think things are so different this year than they were with all the big previous racial incidents that led to rioting in Miami, Los Angeles, Ferguson, etc.?  Why have things changed so dramatically since Trump became President.

Because the Democrats were so traumatized by their sure thing (Hillary) losing they have lost their collective s@!t and are having a huge 2 year old tantrum.  It really is that simple.  Trump took their toy (Hillary/power) away and they are PISSED and hate half of America for it.  

That and the Dems have taken a super hard left.
Reply/Quote

your argument is increasingly diminished when you repeat both a debunked premise and falsehoods. 

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 12:56 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Because the Democrats were so traumatized by their sure thing (Hillary) losing they have lost their collective s@!t and are having a huge 2 year old tantrum.  It really is that simple.  Trump took their toy (Hillary/power) away and they are PISSED and hate half of America for it.  

Black people aren't generally concerned about systemic racism, they're just mad that Hillary Clinton lost...

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 04:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There were 3 racially charged killings involving alleged misconduct by police/DA in the first 3 months of this year. That is what started all of this. How many times in the first 3 years did we have these types of incidents leading to protests?  I don't recall any.

There is ZERO evidence that all these protestors are unemployed due to the pandemic.

As bad as Floyd was, there is ZERO evidence of race being a factor in any of those cases.  None!  If you have some I would be happy and open minded to see it.

Another example of the left making this about race.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 01:27 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: As bad as Floyd was, there is ZERO evidence of race being a factor in any of those cases.  None!  If you have some I would be happy and open minded to see it.

It is not the killings.  It is the lack of prosecution.  White people love to bring up examples of white people being killed by police, but pretty much every time the killer is charged.  With Breonna Taylor and Ahmed Abrery the lack of prosecution is more of a problem that the actual killing.

Like it or not, since police have been proven to employ racists tactics like racial profiling every action they take is going to suspect by the black community.  As a white person you have the privilege of never having to have to worry about that.  That is why you can't understand their position on these issues.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 12:56 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Because the Democrats were so traumatized by their sure thing (Hillary) losing they have lost their collective s@!t and are having a huge 2 year old tantrum.  It really is that simple.  Trump took their toy (Hillary/power) away and they are PISSED and hate half of America for it.  

"That simple"?

Really?

So you are saying this is the first time Democrats lost a Presidential election in the last 50 years?

Simple answers are for simple minds.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 12:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That means you need transportatioun to the DMV.

And you may need to get a copy of a lost birth certificate.

And you will have to miss work and lose more money to stand in line all day.

All the things you think are simple can be bigger problems for the poor and minorities.

And the big point is that there is no proof that it has any real effect on voter fraud.

If only there were alternative solutions to those issues. 
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 03:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote:  White people love to bring up examples of white people being killed by police, but pretty much every time the killer is charged.  

"Prettymuch"? So, sometimes the killer is NOT charged? Just like with black people being killed by police where PRETTY MUCH every time the killer is charged?

(09-11-2020, 03:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote:  With Breonna Taylor and Ahmed Abrery the lack of prosecution is more of a problem that the actual killing.

I'm not going to comment on Ahmed Abrery because I don't know the details, but with Breonna Tayler, please list what laws the police broke. Sure, it's a horrible tragedy that should not have occurred and sure, no knock warrants should probably be outlawed, but from what I've read the police did nothing criminal there.

Is it your suggestion we should charge the police with crimes even if no crimes were committed but the "victim" is a black person?
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 04:20 PM)PhilHos Wrote: "Prettymuch"? So, sometimes the killer is NOT charged? Just like with black people being killed by police where PRETTY MUCH every time the killer is charged?

Actually I don't know of a single case where a white person was murdered by police and the officer was not charged.  But I was hesitant to say "never".

Why don't you find one to prove your point.
Reply/Quote