Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Current state of the Roster: 2023 FA
Thought I'd start a quick thread on the state of the roster as FA marches on.

Now, we already have more than 53 players signed, but I broke it down into two categories: 53 man roster 0layers & Practice Squad players. It does not mean, that all the 53 man guys will still be here in September, nor that the PS guys will all fail to make the 53, but just getting the lay of the land.

I. 53 Man Roster: Signed Players

A. Offense = 21.

1. QB (1): Burrow
2. RB (3): Mixon; T. Williams (KR1), Evans (KR2)
3. WR (6): Chase, Higgins, Boyd; Irwin, Morgan, Taylor (PR)
4. TE (1): Asiasi
5. OT (6): Brown, J. Williams; Collins (I), Carman, Adeniji, Smith
6. OG (2): Cappa, Volson
7. C (2): Karras, T. Hill

B. Defense = 24.

1. DE (5): Hendrickson, Hubbard; Ossai, C. Sample, Gunter
2. NT/DT (5): Reader, BJ Hill; Tupou, Carter, Tufele
3. LB (5): L. Wilson, Pratt; ASG, Bailey, Bachie
4. CB (5): Awuzie (I), CTB, Hilton; George, J. Davis
5. S (4): D. Hill; Anderson, B. Wilson, Thomas

C. Special Teams = 3.

1. PK (1). McPherson.
2. P (1): Chrisman
3. LS (1): Adomitis

II. Practice Squad Players = 13

1. Jake Browning, QB
2. Kwamie Lassiter, WR
3. Tanner Hudson, TE
4. Nick Bowers, TE
5. Devin Cochran, OT
6. Nate Gilliam, G
7. Ben Brown, C
8. Raymond Johnson III, DE
9. Owen Carney, DE
10. Dominique Davis, DT
11. Keandre Jones, LB
12. Marvell Tell, CB
13. Yusuf Corker, S
Reply/Quote
LOL practice Pkayers …. don’t know how many times that’s happened to me
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 05:06 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: LOL practice Pkayers …. don’t know how many times that’s happened to me

Same with Yusuf. Happens all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Need a TE, SS, and RT

Other than that looks good
Reply/Quote
Cody Ford signed.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2023/3/16/23643842/cody-ford-bengals-news-cardinals-free-agents-2023-nfl-rumors

Not a fan of the acquisition. He does have G/OT flexibility. But a worse player than Scharping. YMMV, of course. Hope it turns out better.
Reply/Quote
Updated to include Cody Ford signing. I think I corrected my typos!

I.  53 Man Roster: Signed Players = 49.

A. Offense = 22.

6. OG (3): Cappa, Volson; Ford

B. Defense = 24.  

C. Special Teams = 3.

1. PK (1). McPherson.

1. Jake Browning, QB
2. Kwamie Lassiter, WR
3. Tanner Hudson, TE
4. Nick Bowers, TE
5. Devin Cochran, OT
6. Nate Gilliam, G
7. Ben Brown, C
9. Owen Carney, DE
10. Dominique Davis, DT
11. Keandre Jones, LB
12. Marvell Tell, CB
13. Yusuf Corker, S
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 05:36 PM)Anarumo_Savant Wrote: Need a TE, SS, and RT

Other than that looks good

Foster Moreau, Julian Love and Eluemunor?
Reply/Quote
Just read where Pollack said we are moving Jonah to RT to compete with La El Collins. Love this. It’s survival mode for both veterans. Better get your act together. I’m confident that our OL issues are way behind us. Finally. I feel great about Volson with a huge leap in 23. He played FCS . He was a rookie. He’s bound to take a leap.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Of course we are moving Jonah, Brown has been to 4 straight Pro Bowls.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 06:23 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Of course we are moving Jonah, Brown has been to 4 straight Pro Bowls.

Yep we all expected it but hearing it was good. I like the idea of one emerging to be solid and Collins not practicing means he’s got real competition as does Jonah. Damn good situation. And I think contrary to some that Volson takes a huge leap. Good grief he played FCS and was a rookie. I’m fired up.

Reply/Quote
For me, I'd rather see Carman at RT. Jonah & Collins should be in their last years this year.

I get wanting to get value out of them, but the best guy should play.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 06:22 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Just read where Pollack said we are moving Jonah to RT to compete with La El Collins. Love this. It’s survival mode for both veterans. Better get your act together. I’m confident that our OL issues are way behind us. Finally. I feel great about Volson with a huge leap in 23. He played FCS . He was a rookie. He’s bound to take a leap.

For contract purposes if we are resigning Burrow, Chase, and Higgins. We have to hope some of these young lineman develop. We need Jackson to win the rt spot. Take a legit look at him who we’ll have for 2 more years. We can’t keep making free agent splashes on the Oline. We need not to have to spend big to replace Cappa, Karras, Collins, or Williams when there time comes. Have to spread the money around. 

Jackson ascending (wishful) and winning the RT spots would buy us an extra year to drat and develop center and rg spots. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 06:55 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: For me, I'd rather see Carman at RT. Jonah & Collins should be in their last years this year.

It could be a catch-22 with Jonah this year. If he turns in a good year as a RT, which is what we want, he may well leave via free agency at the end of the year because he wants to play LT and get LT money. It he turns in a poor year, the Bengals may not want him.

I wouldn't mind to see Carman or someone from the draft turn out to be the better RT, so there is longer-term stability at the position.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 06:55 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: For me, I'd rather see Carman at RT. Jonah & Collins should be in their last years this year.

Same.

(03-16-2023, 07:06 PM)jj22 Wrote: For contract purposes if we are resigning Burrow, Chase, and Higgins. We have to hope some of these young lineman develop. We need Jackson to win the rt spot. Take a legit look at him who we’ll have for 2 more years. We can’t keep making free agent splashes on the Oline. We need not to have to spend big to replace Cappa, Karras, Collins, or Williams when there time comes. Have to spread the money around. 

Jackson ascending (wishful) and winning the RT spots would buy us an extra year to drat and develop center and rg spots. 

Hey, my ole buddy JJ22 is back and being rational again, I like it. Wink

(03-16-2023, 07:07 PM)Nepa Wrote: It could be a catch-22 with Jonah this year. If he turns in a good year as a RT, which is what we want, he may well leave via free agency at the end of the year because he wants to play LT and get LT money. It he turns in a poor year, the Bengals may not want him.

I wouldn't mind to see Carman or someone from the draft turn out to be the better RT, so there is longer-term stability at the position.

Best case scenario is Carman becomes a stud RT for us and we have him here for as long as we have Orlando Brown or longer.

And of course, Pollack starts developing Volson and other young Lineman into solid players from now on.
Reply/Quote

We do not have a RT next season, no reason not to keep LC on his team friendly deal as insurance for 2024.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 07:23 PM)casear2727 Wrote: We do not have a RT next season, no reason not to keep LC on his team friendly deal as insurance for 2024.

Would love it if La'el came back, but man, the hip, the back and then ACL and MCL tears.... Shocked
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 06:22 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Just read where Pollack said we are moving Jonah to RT to compete with La El Collins. Love this. It’s survival mode for both veterans. Better get your act together. I’m confident that our OL issues are way behind us. Finally. I feel great about Volson with a huge leap in 23. He played FCS . He was a rookie. He’s bound to take a leap.

Glad to see the team finally accepting he isn't a franchise LT, better late than never.

The competition should be good for Carman, Collins and Jonah. Have to think that Smith is on the bubble of P.S. or not having a spot at this point.

I think with a season under his belt, an off-season NFL program and just being more up to speed Volson has a shot to really impress this season.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 07:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Would love it if La'el came back, but man, the hip, the back and then ACL and MCL tears.... Shocked

He could be done, but we should wait and see, the savings does not outweigh the benefit in the event he does heal up.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 06:55 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: For me, I'd rather see Carman at RT. Jonah & Collins should be in their last years this year.

I think competition has been needed for awhile. But I like a battle of Carman, Collins, and Jonah. Collins needs it as the staff was worn out he never practiced even if legit. Just frustrating even if warranted and approved. He needs it. Jonah is a good dude and he doesn’t need it but it’s still good. Carman needs it for a second contract.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 04:37 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Thought I'd start a quick thread on the state of the roster as FA marches on.

Now, we already have more than 53 players signed, but I broke it down into two categories: 53 man roster 0layers & Practice Squad players. It does not mean, that all the 53 man guys will still be here in September, nor that the PS guys will all fail to make the 53, but just getting the lay of the land.

I.  53 Man Roster: Signed Players

A. Offense = 21.

6. OG (2): Cappa, Volson

B. Defense = 24.  

C. Special Teams = 3.

1. PK (1). McPherson.

1. Jake Browning, QB
2. Kwamie Lassiter, WR
3. Tanner Hudson, TE
4. Nick Bowers, TE
5. Devin Cochran, OT
6. Nate Gilliam, G
7. Ben Brown, C
9. Owen Carney, DE
10. Dominique Davis, DT
11. Keandre Jones, LB
12. Marvell Tell, CB
13. Yusuf Corker, S
Thank you for taking the time to put this out!
Reply/Quote