Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
*DAY 2 DRAFT TARGETS*
(04-26-2024, 03:36 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: He's a football player, not up for Sainthood. 

He was barely over the limit. He was not seriously impaired or much of a danger in my view. He wrecked because a drunker driver rear-ended him....and then fled the scene. Sweat couod have took off too, I believe, but he did not. 

To me, it just is not that big a deal. 

Now, was it terribly wise? No. But wisdom & character are not the same thing. He's 22. 

Joe Mixon did far worse things & we drafted him round 2. 

Now, I think there are flags about his dedication/weight management. 

I am on record saying letting Reader go was stupidity personified. Especially in our division. 

But I'd have been thrilled with Sweat at #49 three weeks ago and nothing in the last 3xweeksxhas changed my perception of him as a player. 

Kiper has/had him top 50. Maybe I take a chance on him slipping to Rd3 if there is fantastic balue at CB/WR/IOL at #49. But I'd be ecstatic with Sweat. 
I am with you on this Ike. We have all done stupid things in our early 20s. Hell, my pops almost killed me the night I came home after graduating from HS. Drove home drunk and acting stupid and was heading to Annapolis in about 4 months.. One of the best things he ever did for me.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 01:04 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: If it were me I’d trade up for Newton.

I think there are questions about his ability to be effective as a Nose, with double times and from what ive read though low center base he tends to come upright more off snap..I like him just don;t know if the right fit especially to trade up for , just not a great year for DTs in draft
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 11:37 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I think there are questions about his ability to be effective as a Nose, with double times and from what ive read though low center base he tends to come upright more off snap..I like him just don;t know if the right fit especially to trade up for , just not a great year for DTs in draft

I agree on Newton. I wouldn't trade up to get him, but he would be in the discussion at 49.  I do like Fiske and Hall Jr also!
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 10:57 AM)Nepa Wrote: I'd be curious if Sweat is still on the Bengals board. If he got a DWI less than a month before the draft, then can the Bengals count on him to not make a similar mistake before a playoff game or the Superbowl, ala Stanley Wilson? Is he a player that the Bengals staff would have to watch like a hawk, like the Reds had to do with the talented Josh Hamilton.

While it was undoubtedly a dumb decision, comparing it to Stanley Wilson's all night cocaine bender before the super bowl is silly. He was slightly over the legal limit and did not cause the accident. He has an older brother playing in the league already with the Eagles who can help guide him to making better decisions. He is a huge man with athleticism you don't often see. I would be fine with him as a round 2 pick

https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/lists/texas-football-longhorns-tvondre-sweat-nfl-combine-40-yard-dash-reactions-weight-highlights/
Reply/Quote
I wouldn’t trade up to get Newton. Not many good DT’s this year. I’d take Sweat if he fell to the 4th Round.
Reply/Quote
Assuming that the projected first rounders -- Newton, DeJean, McKinstry, Mitchell, McConkey, Powers-Johnson -- are gone when we pick, I see us targeting DT, WR, and CB:

DT – Sweat, Jenkins, Hall, Orhorhoro, Smith
WR – Polk, Franklin, Coleman
CB – Rakestraw, Lassiter, Tampa, Melton

Any of these guys would be a solid get, but would be thrilled with Polk or Franklin at WR or Sweat, Jenkins, or Hall at DT.

Potential wildcards are Beebe (OG) and Frazier ©, but I doubt we'll go IOL.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 11:40 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I agree on Newton. I wouldn't trade up to get him, but he would be in the discussion at 49.  I do like Fiske and Hall Jr also!

If they go DT, I'd take Fiske is Newton is gone. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 11:42 AM)Memphis_Bengal Wrote: While it was undoubtedly a dumb decision, comparing it to Stanley Wilson's all night cocaine bender before the super bowl is silly. He was slightly over the legal limit and did not cause the accident. He has an older brother playing in the league already with the Eagles who can help guide him to making better decisions. He is a huge man with athleticism you don't often see. I would be fine with him as a round 2 pick

https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/lists/texas-football-longhorns-tvondre-sweat-nfl-combine-40-yard-dash-reactions-weight-highlights/

Well, I was going to add that before the DWI, Sweat had worked to convince NFL teams that he wasn't a "party animal," which is the wording used by the The Athletic’s Dane Brugler to describe him.  And Brugler had him as a 4th round pick prior to the DWI.

https://www.essentiallysports.com/nfl-ncaa-news-active-news-party-animal-tvondre-sweats-fourth-round-grade-takes-a-hit-as-off-field-misdemeanor-could-ward-off-cincinnati-bengals/
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 12:23 PM)Nepa Wrote: Well, I was going to add that before the DWI, Sweat had worked to convince NFL teams that he wasn't a "party animal," which is the wording used by the The Athletic’s Dane Brugler to describe him.  And Brugler had him as a 4th round pick prior to the DWI.

https://www.essentiallysports.com/nfl-ncaa-news-active-news-party-animal-tvondre-sweats-fourth-round-grade-takes-a-hit-as-off-field-misdemeanor-could-ward-off-cincinnati-bengals/

Sweat as a 4th rounder before the DUI is an outlier. Most had him as a day 2 pick. 
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 11:37 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I think there are questions about his ability to be effective as a Nose, with double times and from what ive read though low center base he tends to come upright more off snap..I like him just don;t know if the right fit especially to trade up for , just not a great year for DTs in draft

Newton isn't going to be a NT.  He's a pure 3 tech.  

I'm not a huge Newton or 3 tech early guy, but the kid is a 1st round talent.  If he slides a bit more and can be had for a 5th and 6th, I'd be good with pulling the trigger.  
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 12:13 PM)shanebo Wrote: Assuming that the projected first rounders -- Newton, DeJean, McKinstry, Mitchell, McConkey, Powers-Johnson -- are gone when we pick, I see us targeting DT, WR, and CB:

DT – Sweat, Jenkins, Hall, Orhorhoro, Smith
WR – Polk, Franklin, Coleman
CB – Rakestraw, Lassiter, Tampa, Melton

Any of these guys would be a solid get, but would be thrilled with Polk or Franklin at WR or Sweat, Jenkins, or Hall at DT.

Potential wildcards are Beebe (OG) and Frazier ©, but I doubt we'll go IOL.

Good list. And I agree 100% on the targets. I love Fiske at DT. I think we might really like Sainristill at CB though I would not draft a nickel. 
Reply/Quote
I played WR and RB a long time ago. I know there are many experts in here on defensive line play. I keep seeing a guy like Newton does not fit our scheme.

My question: Would Donald have fit our scheme?

I get Reader was a great run stopper. But he was also an average to poor pass rusher.

Sweat seems to be DJ 2.0 possibly.

Newton's game is similar to ____________________.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 10:22 AM)ShowMeUrTDs Wrote: He was projected first rounder by all projections out there. 

Dane Bruegler had him as a 1st-2nd round grade. 

And just to provide a couple of counter-examples to your "all" projections comment, these mocks don't have him in the first round: 

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-2024-nfl-mock-draft-2-0-four-quarterbacks-selected-in-first-eight-picks

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/lists/2024-nfl-mock-draft-full-first-round-computer-simulation/

Edit: Here's another

https://theathletic.com/5281067/2024/02/27/nfl-mock-draft-round-1-scouting-combine/

Reply/Quote
Many of the national writers overreact to trade requests. They thought we'd go WR at #18 because of Tee's. Or thought we'd have to go OT early last year because of Jonah's. We did not. Nor will we with Hendrickson.

Both guys are under contract/team control for 2 more years. In the main, I think we are looking to replace Boyd, not Higgins.

Now, if someone like Coleman falls into our lap & someone wants to make us a fantastic offer we cannot refuse on Tee, I'd certainly listen.

But trading the 4th best player on your team rarely makes you better short term.

Trenches (NT, 3T, IOL), boundary corner, and Boyd replacement are where I expect our Day 2 picks to go.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 02:25 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Call me crazy, but I would kind of like it if they went with Paul, Suamataia, or Amegadjie.  One of those could push Volson or be a high end backup at LT/LG.  Maybe they could work their way up to being the first OT off the bench if Mims doesn't come along quickly.  The Saints found a home for the super lanky/high cut Andrus Peat at LG so it's not unheard of.

Frazier would be a slam dunk.

Ruke Orhorhoro could be a complete player at DT.

To be fair I only called you crazy Bilbo because of Paul, don't want him at all. Agree with the rest.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 03:36 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: He's a football player, not up for Sainthood. 

He was barely over the limit. He was not seriously impaired or much of a danger in my view. He wrecked because a drunker driver rear-ended him....and then fled the scene. Sweat couod have took off too, I believe, but he did not. 

To me, it just is not that big a deal. 

Now, was it terribly wise? No. But wisdom & character are not the same thing. He's 22. 

Joe Mixon did far worse things & we drafted him round 2. 

Now, I think there are flags about his dedication/weight management. 

I am on record saying letting Reader go was stupidity personified. Especially in our division. 

But I'd have been thrilled with Sweat at #49 three weeks ago and nothing in the last 3xweeksxhas changed my perception of him as a player. 

Kiper has/had him top 50. Maybe I take a chance on him slipping to Rd3 if there is fantastic balue at CB/WR/IOL at #49. But I'd be ecstatic with Sweat. 

Didn't know those details and they changed my mind, congrats Ike.

I am for Sweat now today, just would rather get him with our last 3rd rounder.
Reply/Quote
Zach Frazier please.

LG is a problem and our C is heading into both his age 31 season and his contract year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 01:24 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Zach Frazier please.

LG is a problem and our C is heading into both his age 31 season and his contract year.

Frazier broke his leg in the Bowl game, might take some time to heal up. Cooper Beebe would be my grab if we are looking to push 
Volson down to depth and don't want Mims to concentrate on anything but RT.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 12:45 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Good list. And I agree 100% on the targets. I love Fiske at DT. I think we might really like Sainristill at CB though I would not draft a nickel. 

I agree, would prefer to stay away from nickle/slot-only guys in Rd. 2.  So guys like Sainristill, Wilson, McMillen would be out for me.

Fiske is a great player, but at 24 yrs old is a bit older than I prefer.  Would be fine with him, though.
Reply/Quote
If Higgins isn't going anywhere and we already have Yoshi and Jones to replace Boyd, I hope we keep building the trenches, go LB, RB, or CB. Preferably keep building the lines on both sides and wait until later to draft WRs.
Reply/Quote