Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
*DAY 2 DRAFT TARGETS*
Hopefully Defensive line early today.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals select Sweat, then I'll have assume they've thorough vetted him, and aren't dissuaded by the "party animal," "DWI," "lack of conditioning" concerns. After all, the Taylor-led Bengals are very big on character. He would certainly fill a glaring gap given the loss of Reader.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 02:06 PM)Mer Wrote: If Higgins isn't going anywhere and we already have Yoshi and Jones to replace Boyd, I hope we keep building the trenches, go LB, RB, or CB. Preferably keep building the lines on both sides and wait until later to draft WRs.

4th round picks last through their rookie deals less than 50% of the time, and evolve into replacement level starters at an even lower rate than that.  Jones and Yoshi combined for less than 200 yards receiving last year despite a rash of injuries at WR.  They've shown nothing to indicate they will beat those odds and become starter caliber players.
Reply/Quote
I'd love to see them add an electric playmaker in the slot...and I really like Roman Wilson because his play speed and gear change are insane.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 02:53 PM)Whatever Wrote: 4th round picks last through their rookie deals less than 50% of the time, and evolve into replacement level starters at an even lower rate than that.  Jones and Yoshi combined for less than 200 yards receiving last year despite a rash of injuries at WR.  They've shown nothing to indicate they will beat those odds and become starter caliber players.

Yes, I think we should add a WR today if a special one is around and I bet there will be. McConkey, Corley, Polk, Leggette, Burton, Rice,
Johnny Wilson, Malik Washington, Roman Wilson etc.

Chuck Sizzle was hurt pretty much his entire rookie season. Yoshi shown some good things, but with both Boyd and Tee not being here 
long term we ought to add a talented WR.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 02:53 PM)Whatever Wrote: 4th round picks last through their rookie deals less than 50% of the time, and evolve into replacement level starters at an even lower rate than that.  Jones and Yoshi combined for less than 200 yards receiving last year despite a rash of injuries at WR.  They've shown nothing to indicate they will beat those odds and become starter caliber players.

But it's exactly why you have a draft and develop. Not every player proves their worth at their position for a team that reached the AFC champ. game the previous season other than ST's. You think there's multiple footballs that go around? Nobody is taking reps from Boyd,Tee and Chase. Tee missed 5 games. Mixon had the most catches in a season in his career or really close. 

You think McConkey comes to the Bengals with their 3 top WR's and a pass-catching TE and catches many balls?
Reply/Quote
2nd round-
WR Franklin Oregon, Coleman Fl. State, Wilson Mich
DB- Sainristil Mich, Rakestraw Missouri, Phillps KY
C/G- Johnson Oregon

3rd round
WR- Washington VA, Polk Wash
TE Sinnott, Stover, Sanders, Johnson
G- Hayness Conn
DT Sweat , Jenkins,
Edge- Issac Penn,
CB- Carson
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 03:06 PM)higgy100 Wrote: But it's exactly why you have a draft and develop. Not every player proves their worth at their position for a team that reached the AFC champ. game the previous season other than ST's. You think there's multiple footballs that go around? Nobody is taking reps from Boyd,Tee and Chase. Tee missed 5 games. Mixon had the most catches in a season in his career or really close. 

You think McConkey comes to the Bengals with their 3 top WR's and a pass-catching TE and catches many balls?

Last I heard Boyd isn't going to be here meaning we need another WR. I like Gesicki but he is still a TE and he is only on a 1 year deal
and this WR class is a good one. We need a 3rd WR to replace Boyd, I like Yoshi, but he is an outside WR. Chuck was hurt most of his 
rookie year so we don't know what we have with him. I like Irwin but he is a 4th WR.
Reply/Quote
Best D line they can get, interior OL, and WR would be nice for me.

Any chance Tee gets traded today? Have a funny feeling about it. I know the Bengals don’t usually do that though.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 03:06 PM)higgy100 Wrote: But it's exactly why you have a draft and develop. Not every player proves their worth at their position for a team that reached the AFC champ. game the previous season other than ST's. You think there's multiple footballs that go around? Nobody is taking reps from Boyd,Tee and Chase. Tee missed 5 games. Mixon had the most catches in a season in his career or really close. 

The WR3 in this offense sees mid 80's to high 90's targets a year.  A guy like McConkey would be 800-1000 yards with that many targets.

Sad reality is, as much as folks like to say you can get RB's and WR's on Day 3, we've only drafted one starting RB(Rudi) and 2 starting WR's(TJ and Jones) this century.  Compare that to the number of starting DL(Lawson, Billings, Peko, Atkins, Geathers) and OL(Volson, Boling, Bodine, Ghiaciuc, Andrews) they've gotten Day 3.  
Reply/Quote
CB - TJ Tampa
WR - Ja'Lynn Polk, Brenden Rice, Jalen McMillan, Johnny Wilson
TE - Ben Sinnott, Theo Johnson, Cade Stover
DT - Braden Fiske, Ruke Orhorhoro, McKinnley Jackson (no earlier than mid-3rd rd for him though), T'Vondre Sweat if team is ok with the DWI

If Bengals did happen to have an interest in a Day 2 RB (I don't think they will) - Brooks, Benson, Wright, Corum, or Lloyd I'd be ok selected in the Top 100 by the Bengals.

I'm not putting guys like McConkey, McKinstry, or DeJean on the list because I don't think there's any chance they make it to 49 and I don't think the Bengals will be willing to trade up enough to get them. Could be wrong though.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
For me it's more strategy than any particular names. Kinda like it was in the first round: take an OL and now you're sitting pretty for the next few rounds, just based on how the board is looking. So today I think the sooner we go DT the better. There are a lot of them slated to go between 33 and 79. We can also take the best WR, RB, CB, TE at 49, don't get me wrong, but we can get those later without sacrificing much quality imo. The DT's see more of a drop.

My dream world is to take an IOL, tho. Specifically Frazier or Haynes. We wouldn't have to worry about the OL room for 5 years and could just "Let Joe cook!" But that's not happening. We might add another one tomorrow but for now Zac thinks he's got bigger fish to fry. And that's cool. Can't win em all. I'm just saying.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 03:28 PM)Whatever Wrote: The WR3 in this offense sees mid 80's to high 90's targets a year.  A guy like McConkey would be 800-1000 yards with that many targets.

Sad reality is, as much as folks like to say you can get RB's and WR's on Day 3, we've only drafted one starting RB(Rudi) and 2 starting WR's(TJ and Jones) this century.  Compare that to the number of starting DL(Lawson, Billings, Peko, Atkins, Geathers) and OL(Volson, Boling, Bodine, Ghiaciuc, Andrews) they've gotten Day 3.  

I'm talking strictly this past season as you alluded to the backups had not proven anything.He would NOT have those targets with the Big 3 this past season along with Mixon catching almost 60 balls and especially with a backup QB for a dozen games.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 03:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Last I heard Boyd isn't going to be here meaning we need another WR. I like Gesicki but he is still a TE and he is only on a 1 year deal
and this WR class is a good one. We need a 3rd WR to replace Boyd, I like Yoshi, but he is an outside WR. Chuck was hurt most of his 
rookie year so we don't know what we have with him. I like Irwin but he is a 4th WR.

I was strictly speaking of this past season as the poster said how none of the backup WR's had proven anything so they need another WR. Point being that no backup WR this past season was going to be targeted a whole lot let alone catch dozens of balls with the Big 3 playing along with Mixon catching 60 balls with a backup QB. 
Reply/Quote
You know, I bet T. Sweat was on our list, but if he has super red flags, we can just trade Tee or Trey to NE for Christian Barmore to solve the lack of quality DT/NTs left.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 03:39 PM)higgy100 Wrote: I'm talking strictly this past season as you alluded to the backups had not proven anything.He would NOT have those targets with the Big 3 this past season along with Mixon catching almost 60 balls and especially with a backup QB for a dozen games.

Boyd got 98 targets, the most he's gotten since '20, and he's still out there on the street due to poor production.  You don't think a guy like McConkey couldn't put Boyd on the bench, especially with the opportunities the injuries created?
Reply/Quote
Trade UP Bengals. Freaking do it. Grab one of the last remaining first round talents, preferably Newton.

This organization needs to be more aggressive at this moment.
Reply/Quote
I'd love to see them get Jenkins from Michigan.
Reply/Quote
I don't get everyone saying wide receiver.

We have two good prospects on the roster already in Charlie Jones and Yoshi. We addressed it last year. 
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 04:42 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I don't get everyone saying wide receiver.

We have two good prospects on the roster already in Charlie Jones and Yoshi. We addressed it last year. 

Those two are complimentary pieces at best, not core players. They shouldn’t stop them from drafting another WR high. This team throws the ball way too much to rely on a bunch of day 3 picks.

Reply/Quote