Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DAYS AFTER ORLANDO ATTACK, HOUSE G.O.P. BLOCKS VOTE ON GAY-RIGHTS AMENDMENT
(06-16-2016, 02:41 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Rape is hard to prove as well, should we do away with that law? 

Where's Pat to proclaim we shouldn't compare this to rape? You 'bout to get "called out".
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I thought it was already illegal to discriminate based upon sexual orientation. Are they going to make it  MORE illegal somehow?
[Image: giphy.gif]
(06-16-2016, 07:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Where's Pat to proclaim we shouldn't compare this to rape? You 'bout to get "called out".

He is probably busy lecturing someone about pronoun usage.   
(06-16-2016, 07:52 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I thought it was already illegal to discriminate based upon sexual orientation. Are they going to make it  MORE illegal somehow?

It's not illegal here in Florida.   And It's refreshing, I wish we would do away will all anti discrimination laws.   We don't need them, we are going to hire the best people regardless.    The only difference is you have to lie to them if you don't choose them now.   
(06-16-2016, 06:20 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: At what point do we actually start trusting people to do the right thing?  Don't you think there has been enough education on this matter?   There is no need to for the law to have a boot on the throat of employers 

When they start showing they will do the right thing. Even with laws against discrimination there have been studies proving that two candidates with exactly the same qualifications will see one passed over because the name is more predominant in the African-American community.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-16-2016, 08:33 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: When they start showing they will do the right thing. Even with laws against discrimination there have been studies proving that two candidates with exactly the same qualifications will see one passed over because the name is more predominant in the African-American community.

So you think that I need a law to hire a black guy?  Do you not think I would hire the best fit for my position?  

And what exactly is the right thing? Hire protected classes over non protected classes?
(06-16-2016, 08:36 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: So you think that I need a law to hire a black guy?  Do you not think I would hire the best fit for my position?  

And what exactly is the right thing? Hire protected classes over non protected classes?

The right thing is hiring someone based on their ability to do the job. That's it. I don't know anything about you personally, I just know what I have seen.

As for that last sentence, what do you mean? Whatever race you are you are protected from discrimination by race, male or female you are protected by sex based discrimination. Everyone is protected by anti-discrimination laws. If you hire an African-American because you are afraid of a lawsuit and passed over a white guy with the same or better qualifications you have just violated the anti-discrimination laws.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-16-2016, 08:33 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: When they start showing they will do the right thing. Even with laws against discrimination there have been studies proving that two candidates with exactly the same qualifications will see one passed over because the name is more predominant in the African-American community.

Who the hell would fund such a study?

(06-16-2016, 08:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Who the hell would fund such a study?

I don't know, human rights groups, the EEOC, any number of organizations.

(06-16-2016, 08:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Who the hell would fund such a study?

People who are interested in the effects of white male privilege. People who want to further society and man's capacity to use reason and free thought.

You know...everything and everyone you're against.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
(06-16-2016, 07:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Where's Pat to proclaim we shouldn't compare this to rape? You 'bout to get "called out".

Looks like someone beat me to it. Glad it didn't get to a point where someone compared the actual act of discrimination to the actual act of rape. As my kids say, "good looks, bfine".

(06-16-2016, 07:52 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I thought it was already illegal to discriminate based upon sexual orientation. Are they going to make it  MORE illegal somehow?

Depends on how you are discriminating. In public accommodations, it depends on how a judge interprets federal law since all states don't provide it and it isn't protected at the federal level. Same with employment. It's illegal in some states, but the only federal protection is for federal employment. This amendment would extend that to contractors who are contracted by the federal government. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(06-16-2016, 09:04 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: People who are interested in the effects of white male privilege. People who want to further society and man's capacity to use reason and free thought.

You know...everything and everyone you're against.

What makes you think I'm against White Privilege?

Yep, a study of hiring trends by first name will definitely further society, increase our capacity to use reason and free thought.

Just think if those funds were used to actually do something. But then nobody gets to be a victim.  

(06-16-2016, 09:39 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Looks like someone beat me to it. Glad it didn't get to a point where someone compared the actual act of discrimination to the actual act of rape. As my kids say, "good looks, bfine".

Hell, using to word is usually enough to get you spun up, but it seems you are suddenly OK with analogies. Do your kids tell you "good looks" when you crusade against words? Folks usually take you point more seriously when you are not hypocritical in employing it. 

(06-16-2016, 08:58 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I don't know, human rights groups, the EEOC, any number of organizations.

Gimme a link. I want to read such a study. 

(06-16-2016, 09:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: But then nobody gets to be a victim.  

I call BS on this one!

(06-16-2016, 09:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Hell, using to word is usually enough to get you spun up, but it seems you are suddenly OK with analogies. Do your kids tell you "good looks" when you crusade against words? Folks usually take you point more seriously when you are not hypocritical in employing it. 

No, they tell me "good looks" when I use words correctly and don't spend all 50 minutes explaining to them how words should have new meanings when I use them incorrectly. 

See I can be snarky for no reason too!

but enough about me. This is a thread about failure to protect American citizens.

inb4 a Hillary Benghazi joke.

(06-16-2016, 09:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Gimme a link. I want to read such a study. 

You can search for it yourself. This isn't something new so it's not something I just have at the ready or read recently. I'm not wasting time pulling up articles to prove a point to people that won't care either way.

(06-16-2016, 10:08 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: You can search for it yourself. This isn't something new so it's not something I just have at the ready or read recently. I'm not wasting time pulling up articles to prove a point to people that won't care either way.
OK, just thought you may know of some since you brought it up. I'll look.

(06-16-2016, 10:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: OK, just thought you may know of some since you brought it up. I'll look.

I recall a peer-reviewed article upon putting "black sounding names" on identical resumes in my Social Psychology Master's class at Hofstra in 2004.  A quick search located a number of peer-reviewed studies on this that have taken place since then, as well.  Additionally, there have been similar studies performed in other countries, as well.

Here is a quickie academic look with some admitted flaws:  http://www.nber.org/digest/sep03/w9873.html

And here is the info on a more in-depth study.  I can possibly attach the full-text pdf acquired through my university's online library if you're dying to read it but here is the abstract and info for starters (NOPE, the pdf is too big to attach here).

Racial Discrimination in the Labor Market for Recent College Graduates: Evidence from a Field Experiment.

Authors:
Nunley, John M.1 jnunley@uwlax.edu
Pugh, Adam2 adam.pugh@cunamutual.com
Romero, Nicholas3 romeron@sas.upenn.edu
Seals, R. Alan4 alan.seals@auburn.edu

Source:
B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy. Jul2015, Vol. 15 Issue 3, p1093-1125. 33p. 1 Diagram, 9 Charts.

Subject Terms:
*RACE discrimination in employment
*LABOR market
*ECONOMICS -- Field work
COLLEGE graduates
RACE
Author-Supplied Keywords:
correspondence studies
employment
field experiments
productivity
racial discrimination

Abstract:
We present experimental evidence from a correspondence test of racial discrimination in the labor market for recent college graduates. We find strong evidence of differential treatment by race: black applicants receive approximately 14% fewer interview requests than their otherwise identical white counterparts. The racial gap in employment opportunities is larger when comparisons are made between job seekers with credentials that proxy for expected productivity and/or match quality. Moreover, the racial discrimination detected is driven by greater discrimination in jobs that require customer interaction. Various tests for the type of discrimination tend to support taste-based discrimination, but we are unable to rule out risk aversion on the part of employers as a possible explanation. [ABSTRACT FROM AUTHOR]

Copyright of B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy is the property of De Gruyter and its content may not be copied or emailed to multiple sites or posted to a listserv without the copyright holder's express written permission. However, users may print, download, or email articles for individual use. This abstract may be abridged. No warranty is given about the accuracy of the copy. Users should refer to the original published version of the material for the full abstract. (Copyright applies to all Abstracts.)
Author Affiliations:
1Department of Economics, University of Wisconsin - La Crosse, La Crosse, WI 54601, USA
2CUNA Mutual Group, Madison, WI 53705, USA
3Nicholas Romero, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
4Department of Economics, Auburn University, Auburn, AL 36849-5049, USA
ISSN:
1935-1682
DOI:
10.1515/bejeap-2014-0082
Accession Number: