Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
DJ Reader a Bengal
(03-17-2020, 08:27 PM)Benton Wrote: The team had positions of interest and spent big on them. What one fan feels is a desperate need, another fan doesn't.

Personally, I'm elated. I've wanted to beef up the line for a while and we've done that. We needed more at corner and we've got that.

Some people are never going to be happy.

'the Bengals are too cheap to get anybody good!'

'hey the Bengals signed two top free agents.'

'yeah but the Bengals are too cheap to get anybody I want!'

You left out "The Bengals never sign anyone that is any good and in their prime, it's always some over the hill guy"

The Bengals sign one of the best Nose Tackles in the NFL

"Yeah, but it was "pricey"
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 09:01 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Football players are good evaluaters of talent around them. When Reader looks at the Bengals, he probably sees holes in some areas of the team, but then he looks at that fact that he gets to play on a Dline next to Geno, Carlos, Hubbard and Lawson. He's got to be thinking that will be one of the best Dlines in football, and his personal stats are going to put him in the Pro Bowl every year. If he's looking for a career in the Hall, these are the guys to surround himself with.  And with his motor, he is going to push Geno, who has never needed much pushing himself. If Reader, Geno and Carlos get into a sac contest... Oh Lart.

Well, Reader's certainly talking the talk at this point and reading up on his character and the type of person he is, doesn't look like a bad thing!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 09:21 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Well, Reader's certainly talking the talk at this point and reading up on his character and the type of person he is, doesn't look like a bad thing!

Nope, and he's proven he can walk the walk.... I'm stoked. People wanting Oline help are saying this was not a position of dire need, but we absolutely needed help getting the defense off the field. This is it.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 09:01 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Football players are good evaluaters of talent around them. When Reader looks at the Bengals, he probably sees holes in some areas of the team, but then he looks at that fact that he gets to play on a Dline next to Geno, Carlos, Hubbard and Lawson. He's got to be thinking that will be one of the best Dlines in football, and his personal stats are going to put him in the Pro Bowl every year. If he's looking for a career in the Hall, these are the guys to surround himself with.  And with his motor, he is going to push Geno, who has never needed much pushing himself. If Reader, Geno and Carlos get into a sac contest... Oh Lart.

Exactly.

It's like Chad with TO. Chad was his biggest advocate because Chad knew it meant fewer double coverages. Guys look for big paydays, sure, but they don't want to go places where their unit is garbage. Reader can step into this line and improve it, but it's good enough it's going to make him look better too.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 05:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We are a 3-4 hybrid now. This move makes sense in this aspect and this is not a typical Bengal signing.

Thought we had bigger needs on the OL and at LB but this should make everyone take notice which is what this team 
desperately needed to do. If we get a decent LB and draft O-line we might just be okay with Burrow coming in. I know
this would make Burrow feel better about us getting better on Defense.

I thought Billings would be much cheaper but he wasn't as good as Reader yet that is for sure.

I love the signing...I pimped him big time coming out of Clemson and he could have been had for a 5th rounder.  Groan.  Glad he is here now.  High character guy.  

It seems like maybe the defense is getting more veterans and the plan will be to go younger on offense.  
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 12:04 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: What source makes you think they settled for a great CB versus a good LB (missed tackles was major issues with that LB)

Logic says they got the guy they wanted (highest paid DT now in league) and highest FA CB signing this far as well to replace Dennard. They made a choice Waynes over Dennard in my opinion.

Could be, but we know for a fact they were courting Schobert, and LB was seen as a bigger need on this defense. That's my logic behind the statement, coupled with Anarumo talking about getting Geno some help inside.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 09:21 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Well, Reader's certainly talking the talk at this point and reading up on his character and the type of person he is, doesn't look like a bad thing!

The more you read about him, the better it gets. Sounds like a high character young man. Glad to have him in stripes.  Rock On
Reply/Quote
Watching some highlights and man this dude moves well for a big man..

https://youtu.be/VcCsm2-IyLE

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 12:28 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Watching some highlights and man this dude moves well for a big man..

https://youtu.be/VcCsm2-IyLE

JJ Watt seems to think a whole lot of him.  I'll take that endorsement all day.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 10:48 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I love the signing...I pimped him big time coming out of Clemson and he could have been had for a 5th rounder.  Groan.  Glad he is here now.  High character guy.  

It seems like maybe the defense is getting more veterans and the plan will be to go younger on offense.  

Yeah, thought they would go Defense in FA and Offense in the Draft. They just couldn't get Schobert so the 2nd or 3rd round 
will probably have to be a Linebacker now. The good news is the Draft is very deep at Guard and WR so we can still get some 
good ones no matter how it falls honestly.
Reply/Quote
The Broncos went and traded for a DL because they missed out on getting Reader.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001106801/article/broncos-acquire-dt-jurrell-casey-for-20-draft-pick

I take small joy in knowing the Bengals got a guy other teams coveted.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 07:50 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: I think the trouble is the same fans will, if we don't draft a day 2 O-lineman, be bemoaning the lack of upgrades on the offensive line and saying things like "the game is won in the trenches". Well if the game is won in the trenches we've gone a long way to winning games as we've gone and signed arguably the best available lineman in free agency on either side of the ball to a long term deal. Someone who is not only one of the very best players in his position in the NFL but is only 25 years old so is in his prime and seems to be of good character as well. I love this signing.

As for not a position of need, I like Billings but he was out of contract so there was a hole and this is a clear upgrade. The Bengals were defensively 32nd in rushing yards. DJ Reader was something like 4th against the rush (whilst also being top 10 against the pass). Moreover his play should elevate those around him. It'll help Geno, it'll help Dunlap, Lawson and Hubbard, it'll help the LBers. I think this move moves the needle far more than swapping Waynes for Dre.

As for best use of money, I much prefer spending to get one of the best at their position rather than overpaying for a good not great player plus D-line is more of a premium position than linebacker. To attack linebacker I'd look to collect mid-round draft picks (NE have got 8 draft picks rounds 3-6, lets take some of them off their hands for Dalton) to double dip in the middle rounds and sign some 4th wave free agents. Throw enough against the wall and some will stick.

Great post. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 02:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, thought they would go Defense in FA and Offense in the Draft. They just couldn't get Schobert so the 2nd or 3rd round 
will probably have to be a Linebacker now. The good news is the Draft is very deep at Guard and WR so we can still get some 
At 33, the Bengals must follow BPA practices.  Can't reach.  Wait til round 4 to go for position need over BPA.  Having said that, where don't the Bengals need upgrades?  OL,TE, WR, LB, S, DB so they are likely to get what they need at BPA for rounds 1-4 anyway.  But they aren't done in FA by a long shot so those positions of need likely shrink by draft days.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 02:35 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: At 33, the Bengals must follow BPA practices.  Can't reach.  Wait til round 4 to go for position need over BPA.  Having said that, where don't the Bengals need upgrades?  OL,TE, WR, LB, S, DB so they are likely to get what they need at BPA for rounds 1-4 anyway.  But they aren't done in FA by a long shot so those positions of need likely shrink by draft days.

To a point. Actually the more I look at this Draft, we can fix most of our needs. No need to reach, it is nice having the first pick 
in each round. There will be some really good players falling, happens every year. With them cutting Miller I think there is a big
move about to happen which will get rid of another need most likely. What is nice is that this Draft is extremely deep at Guard 
so we can have another one to compete with Jordan to push him or take his spot.

Was thinking how TE seems to not be deep in this Draft but then I look at guys like Deguara and Moss being mid rounders.

Either one would be a great pick at that part of the Draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 02:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, thought they would go Defense in FA and Offense in the Draft. They just couldn't get Schobert so the 2nd or 3rd round 

They just released Miller....you think they might be making a run at Glasgow, or (even better) McGovern?
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 04:23 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: They just released Miller....you think they might be making a run at Glasgow, or (even better) McGovern?

Confused Confused Confused
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 04:23 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: They just released Miller....you think they might be making a run at Glasgow, or (even better) McGovern?

Are you trolling on purpose? 

You realize both those guys are gone, right?
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 04:37 PM)Mobster Wrote: Are you trolling on purpose? 

You realize both those guys are gone, right?

No, Au told me that McGovern was gone...thought Glasgow was still out there. 
Reply/Quote
Jesus, Ereck Flowers got $30 million over three years? Damn, it pays to be fat.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 04:56 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Jesus, Ereck Flowers got $30 million over three years?  Damn, it pays to be fat.

Well they got Xavier which is an upgrade over Miller, think they have done a good job in FA so far.

Reader is a monster pick.
Reply/Quote