Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
DJ Reader a Bengal
(03-24-2020, 04:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Damn, liked that guy. Nice grab by the Chiefs.

He gets to sit behind the best and collect an NFL check.  And in the Andy system, if Mahomes misses any time, I gotta think Ta'amu could give you at least as much as Matt Moore.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 04:57 PM)McC Wrote: He gets to sit behind the best and collect an NFL check.  And in the Andy system, if Mahomes misses any time, I gotta think Ta'amu could give you at least as much as Matt Moore.

Agreed, was really impressed by Ta'amu on the Battlehawks.

Anyways, back to the topic, Reader is a beast.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 05:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agreed, was really impressed by Ta'amu on the Battlehawks.

Anyways, back to the topic, Reader is a beast.

And he's jazzed about being here in a division where every team loves to run the ball and his former HC and teammates have nothing but good to say about him.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
Financials are out for the Reader contract.

[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote
Glad we got the big man signed up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Nice, awesome to see he's signed.

Who Dey! I hope life gets back to normal sooner than later so we can enjoy some Bengals football this fall.
Reply/Quote
That's why those rumors on twitter said we were close to the cap. They front loaded his contract, which is smart
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2020, 05:31 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: That's why those rumors on twitter said we were close to the cap. They front loaded his contract, which is smart

Why? If he flops, you're out a ton of money before you can pull the plug. Meanwhile even if he's as great as advertised, you have used up more of your cap space so now you can't maximize your cap space NOW to add more good players.

The best teams find ways to create MORE cap space for each year, not find ways to make less. Worry about potential cap issues 3 years from now, 3 years from now.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2020, 05:42 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Why? If he flops, you're out a ton of money before you can pull the plug. Meanwhile even if he's as great as advertised, you have used up more of your cap space so now you can't maximize your cap space NOW to add more good players.

The best teams find ways to create MORE cap space for each year, not find ways to make less. Worry about potential cap issues 3 years from now, 3 years from now.

Because you're hopefully looking at a huge extension for one of the top young QB's in the league in a few years?
Reply/Quote
After seeing Brockers, Dennard and then Apple's contracts fall through, I was beginning to get worried about what if that happened with the Bengals and one of their free agents?

I wasn't super worried about it happening with Waynes because, honestly, if that contract fell through it wouldn't be horrific.

But I was super worried about it happening with Reader and I am still worried about Alexander and Bell.

Now that Reader is locked down, I hope they lock Alexander and Bell down soon Big Grin
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2020, 05:54 PM)Whatever Wrote: Because you're hopefully looking at a huge extension for one of the top young QB's in the league in a few years?

Probably because everything the Bengals do is wrong.  Hadn't you heard?

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2020, 05:54 PM)Whatever Wrote: Because you're hopefully looking at a huge extension for one of the top young QB's in the league in a few years?

Burrow by NFL rules cannot get a contract extension until he's finished his 3rd year in the NFL.

So we're talking 4 years away. That's an ETERNITY in NFL time. It's absurd to limit your winning capabilities over the next 3 seasons to plan for a POSSIBILITY that your QB will become elite and demand elite money 4 seasons from now.

Now is exactly when the Bengals should be making the most of their cap space to cram as many talented players on their roster while their QB is cost controlled.

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2020, 06:05 PM)McC Wrote: Probably because everything the Bengals do is wrong.  Hadn't you heard?

I'm sorry, I forgot that Mike Brown/Duke Tobin had shown themselves to be the smartest FO in the league and know better than everyone else with all of their wild success and Super Bowl wins they've had.

Michael Thomas for the Saints is only a $7m cap hit this year, and doesn't go into the $20m+ range until 2022.
Stephon Gilmore for the Pats had cap hits under $10m his first three years and $18-19m cap hits the final two.
Frank Clark for the Chiefs had a $6.5m cap hit in 2019, $19.3m in 2020, and $25.8m in 2021.
Matt Ryan for the Falcons is still having under $20m cap hits in 2020 and later $40m in the contract.
Earl Thomas for the Ravens had a $7m cap hit in 2019, and $17m in 2022.

EVERY successful team makes use of backloading contracts to make sure they get the most talent possible in their cap space each year. The Bengals aren't geniuses because they do otherwise. The results show that.

Reply/Quote
Hell yeah Reader !! Let’s go
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2020, 05:42 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Why? If he flops, you're out a ton of money before you can pull the plug. Meanwhile even if he's as great as advertised, you have used up more of your cap space so now you can't maximize your cap space NOW to add more good players.

Here comes TLL negativity! Right on cue...

Reply/Quote

We don't even know what the actual cap number will be yet. The Waynes deal, for example, counts as a 20m cash payout in year one, but only has a cap hit of 10m. Plus, the Bengals were competing with the Broncos for Reader, and the big up front money was probably a major factor in Reader's decision.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2020, 06:34 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: We don't even know what the actual cap number will be yet. The Waynes deal, for example, has a 20m cash payout in year one, but only has a cap hit of 10m. 

I was replying to them calling a frontloaded deal smart. Regardless of the actual numbers.

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2020, 06:17 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm sorry, I forgot that Mike Brown/Duke Tobin had shown themselves to be the smartest FO in the league and know better than everyone else with all of their wild success and Super Bowl wins they've had.

Michael Thomas for the Saints is only a $7m cap hit this year, and doesn't go into the $20m+ range until 2022.
Stephon Gilmore for the Pats had cap hits under $10m his first three years and $18-19m cap hits the final two.
Frank Clark for the Chiefs had a $6.5m cap hit in 2019, $19.3m in 2020, and $25.8m in 2021.
Matt Ryan for the Falcons is still having under $20m cap hits in 2020 and later $40m in the contract.
Earl Thomas for the Ravens had a $7m cap hit in 2019, and $17m in 2022.

EVERY successful team makes use of backloading contracts to make sure they get the most talent possible in their cap space each year. The Bengals aren't geniuses because they do otherwise. The results show that.

You do realize front loading the contract will allow the Bengals to do this in Burrow's prime?
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2020, 06:35 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I was replying to them calling a frontloaded deal smart. Regardless of the actual numbers.

Well, it was smart if it helped cause Reader to choose the Bengals over the Broncos.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2020, 06:05 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Burrow by NFL rules cannot get a contract extension until he's finished his 3rd year in the NFL.

So we're talking 4 years away. That's an ETERNITY in NFL time. It's absurd to limit your winning capabilities over the next 3 seasons to plan for a POSSIBILITY that your QB will become elite and demand elite money 4 seasons from now.

Now is exactly when the Bengals should be making the most of their cap space to cram as many talented players on their roster while their QB is cost controlled.

So we've basically gone from complaining that the FO never signs top tier FA's in their prime to complaining about the contract structure of a top tier FA in their prime that they just signed?
Reply/Quote