Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
DJ Reader a Bengal
(03-17-2020, 07:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Ther only people in panic mode are Squeal Team Six members around here.

Don't you have a couple threads to make about actually how amazing Bobby Hart and Zac Taylor are or something?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 07:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Ther only people in panic mode are Squeal Team Six members around here.

Great Post and deserves rep ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 07:17 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: LOL

The old my ideas for FA are better so I am upset. So self serving and non productive.

Besides, maybe your guys wanted to go elsewhere, you have no idea.

Not self-serving actually. I was looking at it from biggest weaknesses and needs from last year. NT and CB were better than LB and LG.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 06:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sean Lee would be cheap?

Agree that LB is now at a premium after not getting a decent one at LB and this not being a deep Draft for LB.

It is deep at Guard in this Draft, think we can get an upgrade over our guys in the 3rd, just has to be a fit in the new scheme.

Hubbard is not strictly a pass rusher, he can cover, former Safety, he can cover. Agreed on Lawson and Dunlap is strictly a
pass rusher/run stopper. Just saying we are now a Hybrid 3-4 so we may have more Linebackers then we think. Also Shawn 
can play Nickel LB for us in a pinch.

The LBs actually impressed at the Scouting combine this year. They were fast as a group....
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 07:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Not self-serving actually. I was looking at it from biggest weaknesses and needs from last year. NT and CB were better than LB and LG.

They are not done yet, this thing called draft is coming too.

Self serving as you think you know more than experts it appears, maybe I misread it.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 07:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Not self-serving actually. I was looking at it from biggest weaknesses and needs from last year. NT and CB were better than LB and LG.

Just keep repeating this phrase--it ain't over yet.  And this one--it's a good start.

And on Day Two, no less.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 05:38 PM)pally Wrote:

As much as I haven't like Zac Taylor, he sure must be convincing the Bengals front office to spend on some outside guys.

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 07:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm pretty darn close to the ledge actually. I was giving this team this offseason to give me confidence. I don't have that confidence.

They signed two players still in their prime who provide an immediate upgrade at a huge price. I have no issues with dinging the front office, but, they deserve praise for these moves. This team, unfortunately, has to pay a premium for good players but they didn't let that stop them grabbing these two guys. It's refreshing to see not just any move in free-agency, but sound moves. 
Reply/Quote
DJ Reader is one of the best Nose Tackles in the NFL and is a huge building block. Don't get stuck on "need" look at the player this is a top of the market signing
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 07:24 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: They are not done yet, this thing called draft is coming too.

Self serving as you think you know more than experts it appears, maybe I misread it.

It's simply a difference of opinion. 
I didn't say I "know more than the experts."
I simply have the opinion that upgrading LB and LG would have been more impactful than getting Reader (who is good) and Waynes.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
What I like is we are for once signing a known player and not one who is past prime.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 07:27 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: They signed two players still in their prime who provide an immediate upgrade at a huge price. I have no issues with dinging the front office, but, they deserve praise for these moves. This team, unfortunately, has to pay a premium for good players but they didn't let that stop them grabbing these two guys. It's refreshing to see not just any move in free-agency, but sound moves. 

Perhaps I'm undervaluing what a NT (or Reader specifically) will bring to this defense.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 07:26 PM)BengalChris Wrote: As much as I haven't like Zac Taylor, he sure must be convincing the Bengals front office to spend on some outside guys.

I don't think one can judge him fairly on last year.  They got such a late start, guys hurt, had to try to assemble a team on the run, lost the one guy they couldn't afford to lose.  Yes, only two wins but they were in a lot of games until the end and got better as the season went on.  With any kind of luck at all or even less terrible luck, this year will be much better.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 07:23 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: The LBs actually impressed at the Scouting combine this year. They were fast as a group....

True, lots of guys are more than decent sideline to sideline in the first 3 rounds.

Just happy we have the first pick in them to grab one up. Murray, Baun, Brooks, Gaither, Dye, Queen etc.

Would be happy with any of these guys but want to wait on Queen until the 3rd if he is there.

Think Queen had too little production for the 33rd overall pick and he needs to gain power and learn to wrap up better.

(03-17-2020, 07:26 PM)BengalChris Wrote: As much as I haven't like Zac Taylor, he sure must be convincing the Bengals front office to spend on some outside guys.

Yes, these are different signings especially Reader. Mellow

(03-17-2020, 07:27 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: They signed two players still in their prime who provide an immediate upgrade at a huge price. I have no issues with dinging the front office, but, they deserve praise for these moves. This team, unfortunately, has to pay a premium for good players but they didn't let that stop them grabbing these two guys. It's refreshing to see not just any move in free-agency, but sound moves. 

Nice post. These moves are not what I expected not at the positions I thought we should go but they are sound and show a 
complete change in the way this FO usually operates. Always darkest before the dawn.

(03-17-2020, 07:27 PM)Synric Wrote: DJ Reader is one of the best Nose Tackles in the NFL and is a huge building block. Don't get stuck on "need" look at the player this is a top of the market signing

ThumbsUp 

(03-17-2020, 07:29 PM)Joelist Wrote: What I like is we are for once signing a known player and not one who is past prime.

Yeah, Sean Lee would be a signing I would expect from the Marv era.
Reply/Quote

That's from your perspective. Yours or my opinion on weaknesses or how to get the team better don't mean diddly to the Bengals coaching staff.
I think they know their team better than us fans?
The run is stopped from inside out. And CB is a more important position (and costlier) than either LB or OG.
So, I can't fault the Bengals for getting two younger proven Defenders and paying them some big bucks at key positions on the Defense.

And, according to sources, they tried for DT, CB, and LB with Schobert.
So, they were in line with your LB need. I wanted them to get Schobert as well; but,
I'm glad they didn't overspend for a LB.
I'd rather them overspend on the Def Line (See Niners SB Team) and CB, the richest position besides QB.

Lastly, it seems like MB actually had a Plan???!!! Their plan was to pay big on Defensive FA's to get the Defense better. And, then drafting offensive players in the draft with more offensive talent in this draft. That's where they'll land another OG or OT.
Reply/Quote
Not what I was expecting but I think not many were expecting the Bengals to go after a big name NT. I'm happy with it, a bit pricey IMO, but a good signing. Nice to see the Bengals making some significant moves even if they are not exactly a the positions I was hoping for.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
Reader is a huge surprise signing. He's definitely not a guy I would think would even be on the Bengals' radar, but he's a huge upgrade to the DL and a huge early splash in FA. Definitely a surprising move, though. They weren't lying about being more active in FA.
Reply/Quote
Put Reader and Billing inside and Carlos and Geno on the ends - shades of the old Rat DL concept when they had Siragusa and Adams inside and it was effectively impossible to run inside on them.
Reply/Quote
FA doesn't start until tomorrow...How are the Bengals signing guys?
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote