Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
DJ Reader a Bengal
(03-17-2020, 06:52 PM)Au165 Wrote: You probably need two stack backers still. Look for Sean Lee as a backer who can play some snaps but more than anything add some leadership in the LB room for cheap.

Sean Lee would be cheap?

(03-17-2020, 06:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm assuming 33 is LB because the depth at LB is not good in this draft. Maybe they get a G on Day 2, but will that player actually come in as a good player or just better than Jordan and Price (which both were really bad)?

Agree that LB is now at a premium after not getting a decent one at LB and this not being a deep Draft for LB.

It is deep at Guard in this Draft, think we can get an upgrade over our guys in the 3rd, just has to be a fit in the new scheme.

(03-17-2020, 06:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm talking off-ball LBs. Not pass rushers. Lawson and Hubbard are strictly pass rushers.

Hubbard is not strictly a pass rusher, he can cover, former Safety, he can cover. Agreed on Lawson and Dunlap is strictly a
pass rusher/run stopper. Just saying we are now a Hybrid 3-4 so we may have more Linebackers then we think. Also Shawn 
can play Nickel LB for us in a pinch.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 06:46 PM)Au165 Wrote: Reader is in a different world than Billings (and I’m a Billings fan). Wayne’s is a marginal coverage upgrade but a decent run defense upgrade.

Edit: I was doing Wayne’s against Dre,Dennard was just never viewed as an outside corner here.

100% how I see it as well. Joe
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 06:57 PM)McC Wrote: FA is not over and there is still at least six draft picks and then cuts, etc.  We're not there yet but the song ain't over yet either.  We just signed two young guys who can play and it's only day two of the legal tampering period.  Anything can happen.

I'm primarily disgruntled because I thought it was logical to address the biggest needs in FA.
And Glasgow and Littleton seemed perfect. Could have had them for basically same cost as Reader and Waynes.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Did they over pay for Waynes? That’s a lot of $ for a guy who’s not seen as a top CB. He must have talent because he was the 11th over all pick.
Still hoping for LB help in FA. I really think one of those stud WRs will slip to pick 33 and we will be able to take him to help replace AJ next year.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 07:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm primarily disgruntled because I thought it was logical to address the biggest needs in FA.
And Glasgow and Littleton seemed perfect. Could have had them for basically same cost as Reader and Waynes.

I think there are certain positions they just won’t break the bank on. We know they did on Reader but Schobert got too rich. We are going to have to figure something out, one option may be a veteran LB like Lee who can still play but is a short term fix.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 06:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote:
Sean Lee would be cheap?

Agree that LB is now at a premium after not getting a decent one at LB and this not being a deep Draft for LB.

It is deep at Guard in this Draft, think we can get an upgrade over our guys in the 3rd, just has to be a fit in the new scheme.

Hubbard is not strictly a pass rusher, he can cover, former Safety, he can cover. Agreed on Lawson and Dunlap is strictly a
pass rusher/run stopper. Just saying we are now a Hybrid 3-4 so we may have more Linebackers then we think. Also Shawn 

Well Lee will be 34 by season's start, so you'd assume he'd be cheap.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 07:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm primarily disgruntled because I thought it was logical to address the biggest needs in FA.
There's a lot to be said for getting better and that happened.  I know you're not a ledge guy.   It's still unfolding.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 07:04 PM)Au165 Wrote: I think there are certain positions they just won’t break the bank on. We know they did on Reader but Schobert got too rich. We are going to have to figure something out, one option may be a veteran LB like Lee who can still play but is a short term fix.

I don't buy that. They gave Burfict 3 years, $38 mill contract. Littleton's contract is 3 years, max of $36 mill. Littleton was definitely in realm of what they've spent before at the position.

EDIT - You mean OG.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 07:04 PM)Au165 Wrote: I think there are certain positions they just won’t break the bank on. We know they did on Reader but Schobert got too rich. We are going to have to figure something out, one option may be a veteran LB like Lee who can still play but is a short term fix.

(03-17-2020, 07:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Well Lee will be 34 by season's start, so you'd assume he'd be cheap.

Ah, didn't know Lee was that old, sounds like a Bengals signing but hey these haven't been typical Bengals signings in Reader 
and Waynes. I don't know what to expect now honestly.
Reply/Quote
Reader made a wise decision coming here. This will be a good team to play for with Burrow running the show.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 06:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hubbard is not strictly a pass rusher, he can cover, former Safety, he can cover. Agreed on Lawson and Dunlap is strictly a

Not well. At least not at 265 lbs. He wasn't that big when he was playing safety. And he hasn't played safety in many years.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 07:05 PM)McC Wrote: There's a lot to be said for getting better and that happened.  I know you're not a ledge guy.   It's still unfolding.

I'm pretty darn close to the ledge actually. I was giving this team this offseason to give me confidence. I don't have that confidence.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 06:43 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I don't see that as an actual legitimate improvement for the team. This seems more like they sat around with their thumbs up their asses as all the OL and LB got signed away and did some stupid panic signings.

Ther only people in panic mode are Squeal Team Six members around here.
Reply/Quote
Our front 4 is scary good now. We just need another Linebacker now. Reader is a beast up front. Great great signing !!!!
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 07:11 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Not well. At least not at 265 lbs. He wasn't that big when he was playing safety. And he hasn't played safety in many years.

Hubbard covers well even at 265, you are not yourself right now Ocho.

Hubbard would cover just fine for a LB in a 3-4, don't what you are talking about.

(03-17-2020, 07:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm pretty darn close to the ledge actually. I was giving this team this offseason to give me confidence. I don't have that confidence.

I see that. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 07:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Ah, didn't know Lee was that old, sounds like a Bengals signing but hey these haven't been typical Bengals signings in Reader 
and Waynes. I don't know what to expect now honestly.

He doesn't have a ton of miles on him because he has spent an assload of time injured.  So there is that.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

LOL

The old my ideas for FA are better so I am upset. So self serving and non productive.

Besides, maybe your guys wanted to go elsewhere, you have no idea.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 07:16 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Our front 4 is scary good now.   We just need another Linebacker now.   Reader is a beast up front.   Great great signing !!!!

Agreed, don't know how any Bengals fan wouldn't be excited about Reader playing with Geno, Dunlap and Hubbard with The Law
coming in a rotation. I was the probably the biggest Billings fan on this board but Reader is already what I thought Billings would 
grow into. Great signing no doubt.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 07:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hubbard covers well even at 265, you are not yourself right now Ocho.

Hubbard would cover just fine for a LB in a 3-4, don't what you are talking about.

I see that. Mellow

Evidence to back that up?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 07:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm pretty darn close to the ledge actually. I was giving this team this offseason to give me confidence. I don't have that confidence.

You are in middle of a Pandemic and you are on the ledge when your favorite team goes and sign 2 big time FA's, 3 if you count AJ prior to staf official signing day and well before the draft.

I will pray for you, not being mean, I will honestly pray you realize more than football team or the Bengals.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote