Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
DJ Reader a Bengal
(03-17-2020, 06:00 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Absolutely. This instantly made the LB corps better. Not good, but better.

Why? Can Reader play LB? I am surprised that the Bengals out-bid somebody for a decent free agent, I just hope it wasn't a panic move because we missed out on Schobert.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 06:07 PM)Au165 Wrote: It 100% does help stop the run. Understand that nose tackles keep linemen off the second level. He also is a plus pass rusher out of the NT position which is rare meaning we will hopefully get middle pressure on QBs quicker.

All true.
Reply/Quote
Reader is one of the best players in the league at his position. This is a top level Free Agent signing.

He is going to fit in well with the Bengals Dline group. Like Dunlap, Geno, Hubbard and Lawson, Reader is an extreme high motor guy.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 06:08 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Why? Can Reader play LB? I am surprised that the Bengals out-bid somebody for a decent free agent, I just hope it wasn't a panic move because we missed out on Schobert.

Keeping blockers off your LB's, which is what this move will help do, frees up your LB's to make more plays.
Reply/Quote
[quote pid='844380' dateline='1584478534']
I like this move! Finally, a good player who is young enough to be a foundation piece rather than a has-been who is nothing but a place holder.
[/quote]

Rock On
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 05:59 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: *All of the good LBs are gone.*
*All of the good OL are gone.*
*Multiple #1 WRs get traded.*

*Bengals sign a single player to improve a position they didn't need improved.*

"LoOks LiKe We AlL cAn StaRt TakINg a BiTe Of cROw."
It ain't over yet.  Did you expect all the major deficiencies would be fixed in FA?  I was hoping to get at least one fixed.  Bengals went DL, I thought OL or CB.  They still have plenty of money left for FA.  Reader is only 25 so a very nice pickup @ $13 million/yr.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 06:16 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Keeping blockers off your LB's, which is what this move will help do, frees up your LB's to make more plays.

We just got Trae Waynes too ffs!!! Rock On
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 06:18 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: It ain't over yet.  Did you expect all the major deficiencies would be fixed in FA?  I was hoping to get at least one fixed.  Bengals went DL, I thought OL or CB.  They still have plenty of money left for FA.  Reader is only 25 so a very nice pickup @ $13 million/yr.

Just got Trae Waynes.
Reply/Quote
...and just like that, the Bengals have signed 2 of the top 19 free agents in the NFL, according to nfltraderumors.

https://nfltraderumors.co/top-25-2020-nfl-free-agents-list/

Wow.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Bengals should be right around Top 5 in DL salary. Time to justify all that money.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
This just reeks of "Well, we couldn't sign the guys we REALLY needed to so we better do something!"

Putting this guy on the line isn't going to make Nick Vigil a better LB.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 06:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: ...and just like that, the Bengals have signed 2 of the top 19 free agents in the NFL, according to nfltraderumors.

https://nfltraderumors.co/top-25-2020-nfl-free-agents-list/

Wow.

...and they are defensive players! Lou Anarumo must have made some noise over the winter.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 06:07 PM)Au165 Wrote: It 100% does help stop the run. Understand that nose tackles keep linemen off the second level. He also is a plus pass rusher out of the NT position which is rare meaning we will hopefully get middle pressure on QBs quicker.

Pressure up the middle is a QB nightmare.  To have two guys collapsing the middle?  Hell yeah.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 06:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just got Trae Waynes.

And he's the only smiling about it.
Reply/Quote
Reader (25) and Waynes (27) are both young, too.

Not to mention they were starters on great defenses.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Read about Reader

https://www.battleredblog.com/2020/2/25/21152951/nfl-executives-discuss-d-j-readers-upcoming-free-agency?_ga=2.162385724.1006829420.1584458974-2052594970.1583253254
Reply/Quote
Quick! Someone check the greater Cincinnati area for a bald, old man tied up in the trunk of a Lumina!!!
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 06:24 PM)caneyoufeelit Wrote: This just reeks of "Well, we couldn't sign the guys we REALLY needed to so we better do something!"  

Putting this guy on the line isn't going to make Nick Vigil a better LB.

Seriously, if you can't get excited about adding a 25 year old stud to the d-line, what would get you excited?
Reply/Quote

Bengals got killed on outside runs and QB runs. Reader isn't going to be making plays on the edge or chasing down Lamar Jackson from behind (or beating him to the sideline).

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 06:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals should be right around Top 5 in DL salary. Time to justify all that money.

This is where my concern lies more than the players. Over a 100 million on two interior players seems very rich. Glad they signed someone, but wonder if it was a panic signing since they’ve struck out with all the LBs?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote