Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
DJ Reader a Bengal
(03-17-2020, 06:25 PM)McC Wrote: Pressure up the middle is a QB nightmare.  To have two guys collapsing the middle?  Hell yeah.

Sure.  But Geno is getting less snaps and Ge's getting older and less effective. I guess we should be excited we're spending money though?  Just not sure how much this helps our team.  
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 06:25 PM)McC Wrote: Pressure up the middle is a QB nightmare.  To have two guys collapsing the middle?  Hell yeah.

Yeah, send those QB's running into Hubbard, Dunlap and Lawson. Should be fun. Smirk 

Shut down the run with Reader and force teams to throw. Pratt will only improve and we can add a decent LB like Murray, Baun,
Brooks, Gaither or Dye in the Draft. As much as people hate on Vigil he was better than Ogletree last season according to PFF.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 05:41 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: Well well, looks like we all can start taking a bite out of the crow dish.

Gladly!
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 06:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, send those QB's running into Hubbard, Dunlap and Lawson. Should be fun. Smirk 

Shut down the run with Reader and force teams to throw. Pratt will only improve and we can add a decent LB like Murray, Baun,
Brooks, Gaither or Dye in the Draft.
As much as people hate on Vigil he was better than Ogletree last season according to PFF.

You're basically requiring the starting LBs to not get hurt ever then. They basically need to re-sign Vigil now and/or get Mark Barron to provide any sort of depth. Either way, you're likely gonna be banking on a LB taken at 33 and come in and be good right from the get go.

I also still really worry about OL. Getting Reader and Waynes doesn't help Burrow stay upright.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 06:30 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Bengals got killed on outside runs and QB runs. Reader isn't going to be making plays on the edge or chasing down Lamar Jackson from behind (or beating him to the sideline).

Backside pursuit, cut back lanes, it does help. When an Inside out Lb gets blocked at the second level it puts the cutback lanes even on the outside into question. Also when you solidify the inside it let’s you do some things on the outside including playing wider sets.

LB is still an issue don’t get me wrong, but this would make our LBs better by default simply by working through less wash.
Reply/Quote
Unexpected, as a Billings fan. I like the signing.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 06:35 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You're basically requiring the starting LBs to not get hurt ever then. They basically need to re-sign Vigil now and/or get Mark Barron to provide any sort of depth. Either way, you're likely gonna be banking on a LB taken at 33 and come in and be good right from the get go.

I also still really worry about OL. Getting Reader and Waynes doesn't help Burrow stay upright.

This still helps the Linebackers that are already here. I panicked earlier, not going to anymore.

We will see how this all shakes out but I like both of these signings, shows change.

Are they at the positions you and I thought they should go? No, but it seemed like all the players were gone we wanted at these
positions. This Draft is very deep at interior O-line and there are some decent Linebackers in it and these coaches actually made a 
nice pick at Linebacker last year unlike Marv ever really did.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 06:36 PM)Au165 Wrote: Backside pursuit, cut back lanes, it does help. When an Inside out Lb gets blocked at the second level it puts the cutback lanes even on the outside into question. Also when you solidify the inside it let’s you do some things on the outside including playing wider sets.

LB is still an issue don’t get me wrong, but this would make our LBs better by default simply by working through less wash.

I'm just not sure I see the huge improvement...

Billings: $850k cap hit
Dennard: $4.4m cap hit

Reader: ~$13.25m cap hit
Waynes: $20m cap hit

I see those two as a combined MARGINAL improvement over Billings/Dennard, but for a ~$33.25m cap hit in 2020 rather than a $5.25m cap hit in 2019.

I don't see that as an actual legitimate improvement for the team. This seems more like they sat around with their thumbs up their asses as all the OL and LB got signed away and did some stupid panic signings.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 06:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This still helps the Linebackers that are already here. I panicked earlier, not going to anymore.

We will see how this all shakes out but I like both of these signings, shows change.

Are they at the positions you and I thought they should go? No, but it seemed like all the players were gone we wanted at these
positions. This Draft is very deep at interior O-line and there are some decent Linebackers in it and these coaches actually made a 
nice pick at Linebacker last year unlike Marv ever really did.

The LBs that are here are...Germaine Pratt and Jordan Evans. That's it.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 06:43 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm just not sure I see the huge improvement...

Billings: $850k cap hit
Dennard: $4.4m cap hit

Reader: ~$13.25m cap hit
Waynes: $20m cap hit

I see those two as a combined MARGINAL improvement over Billings/Dennard, but for a ~$33.25m cap hit in 2020 rather than a $5.25m cap hit in 2019.

I don't see that as an actual legitimate improvement for the team. This seems more like they sat around with their thumbs up their asses as all the OL and LB got signed away and did some stupid panic signings.

Reader is in a different world than Billings (and I’m a Billings fan). Wayne’s is a marginal coverage upgrade but a decent run defense upgrade.

Edit: I was doing Wayne’s against Dre,Dennard was just never viewed as an outside corner here.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 06:35 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You're basically requiring the starting LBs to not get hurt ever then. They basically need to re-sign Vigil now and/or get Mark Barron to provide any sort of depth. Either way, you're likely gonna be banking on a LB taken at 33 and come in and be good right from the get go.

But you can get G's in the draft who can come in and play as rookies.  Who's to say #33 won't be a G?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 06:46 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The LBs that are here are...Germaine Pratt and Jordan Evans. That's it.

De’Vondre Campbell from the falcons is a lb I’d like to see brought in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
This is why you keep your mouth closed about lack of signings. I know, it is hard.... but this pickup along with Trae Waynes is a good start. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 06:46 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The LBs that are here are...Germaine Pratt and Jordan Evans. That's it.

Hubbard, Lawson and even Dunlap can be OLB's in a 3-4 and I bet we bring back Vigil.
Reply/Quote
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 06:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hubbard, Lawson and even Dunlap can be OLB's in a 3-4 and I bet we bring back Vigil.

You probably need two stack backers still. Look for Sean Lee as a backer who can play some snaps but more than anything add some leadership in the LB room for cheap.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 06:49 PM)McC Wrote: But you can get G's in the draft who can come in and play as rookies.  Who's to say #33 won't be a G?

I'm assuming 33 is LB because the depth at LB is not good in this draft. Maybe they get a G on Day 2, but will that player actually come in as a good player or just better than Jordan and Price (which both were really bad)?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 06:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hubbard, Lawson and even Dunlap can be OLB's in a 3-4 and I bet we bring back Vigil.

I'm talking off-ball LBs. Not pass rushers. Lawson and Hubbard are strictly pass rushers.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 06:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm talking off-ball LBs. Not pass rushers. Lawson and Hubbard are strictly pass rushers.

FA is not over and there is still at least six draft picks and then cuts, etc.  We're not there yet but the song ain't over yet either. We just signed two young guys who can play and it's only day two of the legal tampering period. Anything can happen.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote