Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Dalton Speaks after being cut
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29125679/andy-dalton-says-late-timing-release-bengals-limited-options

Dalton remains a class act to the end. He says he wished they would have released him March 18 when league year began but does not trash the organization. All the best AD, TY for being a pillar in the community and for leaving the worst run franchise in the NFL with a winning record, something CP did not do.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
If only there were posters here who said he should have been released before the draft because it was obvious no one wanted to trade for him. If anyone had said this, they would have been completely right.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 11:07 AM)McC Wrote: If only there were posters here who said he should have been released before the draft because it was obvious no one wanted to trade for him.  If anyone had said this, they would have been completely right.

I don't want you to throw your arm out of socket patting your self for being right one time with your thousands of posts.

So, congrats you and others who said this were correct and I am glad you are happy we got no compensation for AD, but WTH, you were right.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 11:13 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I don't want to throw your arm out of socket patting your self for being right one time with your thousands of posts.

So, congrats you and others who said this were correct and I am glad you are happy we got no compensation for AD, but WTH, you were right.

We were never going to get any compensation.  Duh.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 11:07 AM)McC Wrote: If only there were posters here who said he should have been released before the draft because it was obvious no one wanted to trade for him.  If anyone had said this, they would have been completely right.

Except you have no idea what was going on regarding interest in Dalton.  There may very well have been a chance for a draft day trade depending on which team got which QB.

I also said many times it would be hard to trade Dalton because of his salary and all the other free agent QBs on the market, but I am not going to claim I was "right all along" because I don't know all the details.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 11:18 AM)McC Wrote: We were never going to get any compensation.  Duh.

You can't say that for certain.  Duh.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 11:19 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Except you have no idea what was going on regarding interest in Dalton.  There may very well have been a chance for a draft day trade depending on which team got which QB.

I also said many times it would be hard to trade Dalton because of his salary and all the other free agent QBs on the market, but I am not going to claim I was "right all along" because I don't know all the details.

Okay.  You concern yourself with what may have been and I'll concentrate on what was.  Everybody and their brother knew no one would make a trade for him.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 11:20 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You can't say that for certain.  Duh.

Yes I can.  Did it happen?  No.  Duh.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 11:25 AM)McC Wrote: Okay.  You concern yourself with what may have been and I'll concentrate on what was.  Everybody and their brother knew no one would make a trade for him.

You have no idea if there were trade possibilities.

You can't claim something is a fact just because you say it is.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 11:48 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You have no idea if there were trade possibilities.

Be nice Fred, this guy needs to be right or else he explodes on people.

Let's give him this one, we don't want him to injure himself patting himself on his back.

Reply/Quote

I will say that my position was that I wouldn't trade Andy for nothing less than a high 3rd Rd Pick and stated no one would give us that so we should just keep him.

I was wrong that we wouldn't get anything for him. Surely someone had a backup Long Snapper or a conditional 2026 7th RD pick they were willing to trade for Andy. 

As to the OP: I've always said Andy's a class act and disagreed with those that he would be a malcontent if he stayed. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 11:25 AM)McC Wrote: Okay.  You concern yourself with what may have been and I'll concentrate on what was.  Everybody and their brother knew no one would make a trade for him.

There was no way to know with 100% certainty that no team would reconsider a trade on draft day, if maybe missing out on a QB or something. Quite unlikely, sure. Totally certain, no.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 11:19 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Except you have no idea what was going on regarding interest in Dalton.  There may very well have been a chance for a draft day trade depending on which team got which QB.

(05-02-2020, 02:37 PM)hollodero Wrote: There was no way to know with 100% certainty that no team would reconsider a trade on draft day, if maybe missing out on a QB or something. Quite unlikely, sure. Totally certain, no.

TBH, I don't think the draft was why we held onto Andy. It was to make sure that Burrow would sign a contract with us. 

Worse case: We trade Andy for a late rounder, Florio is right and Joe truly pulls an Eli. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 02:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: TBH, I don't think the draft was why we held onto Andy. It was to make sure that Burrow would sign a contract with us. 

Worse case: We trade Andy for a late rounder, Florio is right and Joe truly pulls an Eli. 

Hm, it might be like you said, but I'd deem that somewhat unlikely. If Burrow were to pull an Eli, I guess the team would have been aware of that in advance. Also, I guess technically he still hasn't signed the contract...? So why let Dalton go now if that were the reason behind it. 

Also tbh, I never believed any of the "Burrow might boycott the Bengals" talk to begin with.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 02:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: TBH, I don't think the draft was why we held onto Andy. It was to make sure that Burrow would sign a contract with us. 

Burrow stated publicly at the combine he would play for the Bengals if they drafted him. I think it’s more likely the team was expecting some offers for Dalton during the draft. The Dalton situation is really the only blemish on a great offseason. They should have known other teams weren’t going to offer anything for him when all they had to do was wait for us to release him. In retrospect we should have done everything we could to move him last year to a team like the Bears (not saying they made an offer but we should have been proactive). An extra 4th could have landed us a decent OT prospect.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 11:48 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You have no idea if there were trade possibilities.

Is it a fact that no trade happened?  Yes.  End of story.

Reply/Quote
Dude we get it. Way to go. Enjoy your big day.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 02:37 PM)hollodero Wrote: There was no way to know with 100% certainty that no team would reconsider a trade on draft day, if maybe missing out on a QB or something. Quite unlikely, sure. Totally certain, no.

For weeks  and weeks, while some people around here were saying NE or Jax would trade for him, everyone on every talk show stated the obvious, which was that no one would waste a draft pick on him when all they had to do was wait on his release.  Weeks and weeks.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 03:47 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Dude we get it.  Way to go.  Enjoy your big day.

I will.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 03:11 PM)hollodero Wrote: Hm, it might be like you said, but I'd deem that somewhat unlikely. If Burrow were to pull an Eli, I guess the team would have been aware of that in advance. Also, I guess technically he still hasn't signed the contract...? So why let Dalton go now if that were the reason behind it. 

Also tbh, I never believed any of the "Burrow might boycott the Bengals" talk to begin with.
Yep.  That was just Florio's wet dream.

Reply/Quote