Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Dalton sets Expectations in final Press Conference
It appears the Dalton era will come to an end as we prepare for the Joe Burrow arrival.

I enjoyed AD's last meeting with the media. I believe he gave away his hand today, he wants to start for a team in 2020.

Lots of speculation since AD is under contract for 1 more year.

Will Bengals trade him or keep him to mentor Burrow in 2020?

I got a sense AD will not be a mentor in 2020 which will force MB to trade him. I think that is best plan anyway, but I think it will be Dalton forcing the issue if that is not the plan, trade me or I skip all off season activities if not the starter.

Thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:20 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It appears the Dalton era will come to an end as we prepare for the Joe Burrow arrival.

I enjoyed AD's last meeting with the media. I believe he gave away his hand today, he wants to start for a team in 2020.

I got a sense AD will not be a mentor in 2020 which will force MB to trade him. I think that is best plan anyway, but I think it will be Dalton forcing the issue if that is not the plan, trade me or I skip all off season activities if not the starter.

Thoughts?

The right move is to trade him. There are so many areas that need improvement on the team and that money would go a long way to help that. As always though, it boils down to will the front office do the obvious, right thing or do their own thing.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:26 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: The right move is to trade him. There are so many areas that need improvement on the team and that money would go a long way to help that. As always though, it boils down to will the front office do the obvious, right thing or do their own thing.

History shows they do their own thing and refuse to stop even though it hasn't worked in nearly three decades.

Here's to hoping that changes  Cheers
Reply/Quote
The Bengals should trade him and Andy should want to be traded. Andy’s agent should already be rattling the cages of QB desperate teams in search of a new destination because we know the type of effort Mike and company will put into it. I will applaud Dalton if he grows stones enough to take a stand if Mikey tries to hold him hostage.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:31 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: History shows they do their own thing and refuse to stop even though it hasn't worked in nearly three decades.

Here's to hoping that changes  Cheers

Yes but here’s a head scratcher of a question. If someone has always done irrational things and then if they get older and go senile, is it possible that they start doing rational things?
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:20 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It appears the Dalton era will come to an end as we prepare for the Joe Burrow arrival.

Thoughts?

Well, the team did bring in a bum of a coach to take over the team. Then the bum, when his failure was becoming evident (losing to 2 winless teams, ignoring Mixon, big blow outs), he started throwing players under the bus rather than look at how he was doing his own job of game planning, scouting the other team, play calling, etc.

Remember, Dalton was the first player Taylor threw under the bus.

So, frankly, if I were Dalton, I'd be packing my stuff and not returning, and I'd tell my agent to tell other teams that I was available.

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:37 AM)HuDey Wrote: The Bengals should trade him and Andy should want to be traded. Andy’s agent should already be rattling the cages of QB desperate teams in search of a new destination because we know the type of effort Mike and company will put into it. I will applaud Dalton if he grows stones enough to take a stand if Mikey tries to hold him hostage.

AD is an honest guy. I can see him telling Mike Brown he has no intention of holding a clipboard in 2020, but he will tell them respectfully.

AD holds that cards. MB will not want to pay a backup QB almost $18 million if they are not committed to the team which AD would not be based on hos remarks today.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Wish he would have said he'll do whatever it takes to help the team next year, but he seems selfish.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
My concern is Mike Brown and his “we’re not in the business of making other teams better” nonsense.

But he’s also not going to want to pay a backup QB 17 million. And Burrow will sell tickets, so not only do I think he’d beat Dalton out in camp, but Brown has a big incentive to start the young and exciting rookie.

So basically, I have no idea how this plays out lol

Reply/Quote
Of course Andy Dalton wants to start — and why wouldn’t he? He’s young and he has plenty of gas left in the tank. However, I’m not sure Mikey Boy sees Andy for the huge trade bait he is. Realistically, the Bengals could get a second round pick and maybe a decent player for Andy and I disagree with an earlier poster who says Andy’s agent needs to call teams; I believe plenty of teams will initiate calls with Andy’s agent! The wild card is of course Mike Brown. Will he let Andy go even if the terms are amazing?
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:41 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Wish he would have said he'll do whatever it takes to help the team next year, but he seems selfish.

I want those who work for me to be honest above all else. So, if I were MB, I would be thrilled if AD told me ahead of time, no dice, I will be a starting QB somewhere in 2020, It is a similar thing Whitt did and everyone loved it.

I see nothing selfish about it nor was Whitt being selfish.

If MB wants him, give him a 5 million bonus for 2020 to stay.

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:37 AM)HuDey Wrote: The Bengals should trade him and Andy should want to be traded. Andy’s agent should already be rattling the cages of QB desperate teams in search of a new destination because we know the type of effort Mike and company will put into it. I will applaud Dalton if he grows stones enough to take a stand if Mikey tries to hold him hostage.

The QB FA market will be flooded this off-season. His perceived value may have more to do with demand than ability.

Brees
Brady
Prescott
Marriota sp?
Tannehill
Rivers
Manning
Bridgewater
Keenum
Winston
Bortles

Plus QBs probably available while still under contract
Dalton
Newton
Flacco
Rosen.

What are the "QB hungry" teams that will be willing to trade after the FA dust settles?
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Eh, I don't think Andy has it in him to show his ass if the family doesn't let him go. You might hear some grumbling from his agent, but he's a good soldier.

I personally think that the team is doing him a disservice if they prevent him from going to a place where he will start. I'm not quite positive that such a place exists, but it probably does. If they truly appreciate his service, they shouldn't block him.

My question is whether or not the family would keep him as a starter in 2020 al-la Kitna/Palmer 03. That redshirt year approach is less common in the current era, but the Brown family is as old school as they come.

As a fan, I want them to get something out of him. I'd take a 3rd if it's offered, maybe even a 4th. They need all the picks they can get.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:42 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: My concern is Mike Brown and his “we’re not in the business of making other teams better” nonsense.

But he’s also not going to want to pay a backup QB 17 million. And Burrow will sell tickets, so not only do I think he’d beat Dalton out in camp, but Brown has a big incentive to start the young and exciting rookie.

So basically, I have no idea how this plays out lol

MB had all of the leverage with CP, he has none with AD. Ad could show up week 1 next year and honor his contract if MB tries to play hard ball.

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:46 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I want those who work for me to be honest above all else. So, if I were MB, I would be thrilled if AD told me ahead of time, no dice, I will be a starting QB somewhere in 2020, It is a similar thing Whitt did and everyone loved it.

I see nothing selfish about it nor was Whitt being selfish.

If MB wants him, give him a 5 million bonus for 2020 to stay.

And I want mine to be loyal.

Whit is not the same situation. Whit was not under contract. Quit trying to bring Whit's loyalty down. 

Reply/Quote
Sure they should try and trade him. If there are no takers because he only has one year left on his contract, they should do the right thing, and let him walk. But this is Mike Brown we're talking about. The son of a man who tried to stifle the careers of assistant coaches on his team.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:48 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: MB had all of the leverage with CP, he has none with AD. Ad could show up week 1 next year and honor his contract if MB tries to play hard ball.

Actually Brown does have leverage with Dalton. He’s under contract next year.

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:49 AM)jason Wrote: Sure they should try and trade him. If there are no takers because he only has one year left on his contract, they should do the right thing, and let him walk. But this is Mike Brown we're talking about. The son of a man who tried to stifle the careers of assistant coaches on his team.

What do you think we can get for a 33 year old QB entering his 10th year coming off a season where he finished 32nd out of 32 QBs that qualified in the NFL?

I don't want him traded. I want him to play or mentor (hopefully mentor) 

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:49 AM)jason Wrote: Sure they should try and trade him. If there are no takers because he only has one year left on his contract, they should do the right thing, and let him walk. But this is Mike Brown we're talking about. The son of a man who tried to stifle the careers of assistant coaches on his team.

Yeah, that's the thing.  You never know with these people.  Logic says you draft the consensus number 1 quarterback that your fans are literally pining for and start him week 1.  Logic says you clear your 9 year vet quarterback's 15 plus mil salary and use it to make improvements elsewhere on the roster, maybe even getting a pick for him.  

It's hard to say how the family sees things.  They are the Addams family of the NFL.
Reply/Quote
I want Andy to get a chance to start somewhere. Let him go and trade him. This team is in rebuild mode. Andy has been nothing but a good soldier and should be given an opportunity to move on. As long as it's not in the division I'd pull for him every time he takes the field minus against the bengals. New scenery could do wonders for him and in exchange we might be able to pick up someone to fill a hole. I'm a fan until the end but I recognize we need a new direction.
Reply/Quote