Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Dalton sets Expectations in final Press Conference
(12-30-2019, 12:20 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Will Bengals trade him or keep him to mentor Burrow in 2020?

If this is the case, then why in the world is there a need for a QB coach in the team? 

It's a rhetorical question btw. Lalala
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:42 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: My concern is Mike Brown and his “we’re not in the business of making other teams better” nonsense.

But he’s also not going to want to pay a backup QB 17 million. And Burrow will sell tickets, so not only do I think he’d beat Dalton out in camp, but Brown has a big incentive to start the young and exciting rookie.

So basically, I have no idea how this plays out lol

I'm sure Mike Brown is tied up in knots over this one.  Usually we keep players far past their usefulness to other teams and to ourselves as well so there's little risk over ever improving any other team.

I think after Dillon went on to taste victory in New England, Mike Brown did everything he could to ruin Palmer's career by trading him to Oakland.  I think MB will only trade Dalton to a team that has little chance of success in the near future or that has a potential QB controversy like Dolphins, Redskins, Jaguars or maybe the Broncos.   However, the QB market could potentially become quite crowded with Eli, Winston, Cam, Rivers, Trubisky and perhaps even Brady entering the mix, so we aren't getting much in return for him.  I'd be happy as a clam for a 4th round pick.

I think if Dalton is smart, he plays his last year here as a transition QB if needed or is re-signed as a backup QB like Kitna was.  I don't think he beats out some of those other guys for starting jobs next year.  Just my take on things.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:20 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It appears the Dalton era will come to an end as we prepare for the Joe Burrow arrival.

I enjoyed AD's last meeting with the media. I believe he gave away his hand today, he wants to start for a team in 2020.

Lots of speculation since AD is under contract for 1 more year.

Will Bengals trade him or keep him to mentor Burrow in 2020?

I got a sense AD will not be a mentor in 2020 which will force MB to trade him. I think that is best plan anyway, but I think it will be Dalton forcing the issue if that is not the plan, trade me or I skip all off season activities if not the starter.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bengals decide to hold onto Dalton for his final year while Burrow sits the bench because that's what they did with Palmer, but I really hope the Bengals would view Burrow as a guy who can come in and start Day 1 just like Dalton did.

With that said, they need to get Dalton's $17.7 mill off the books and allocate that toward another position that can bolster the team. Specifically, get a really good OL and/or LB with those savings. IMO, use AJ Green's money ($16+ mill) and put toward OL/LB too. That would upgrade the two weakest positions on the team and really open up the draft.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Daltons best hope as a starter would be for other teams to look at ZT, Zampese, and Lazor and say that the past 4 years were a nigh hopeless situation, or something.  Either that or someone he has history with really needs a QB like Palmer with Hue and Arians.

I know he wants to start, but if we cut him loose he could make a logical "you're gonna have to use him at some point" #2 in Pittsburgh. 
Reply/Quote
I suspect they will trader Dalton before the start of the year, but his value may go up if they retain him until another team's starter goes down and they need someone better than their backup.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 11:22 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: last time we drafted a QB first overall he did not start right away.

Times have changed. Teams want to utilize every year of those rookie contracts now.

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 11:48 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I suspect they will trader Dalton before the start of the year, but his value may go up if they retain him until another team's starter goes down and they need someone better than their backup.

Could happen, but I'd have more faith in it if Hue were still a pseudo GM.
Reply/Quote
They need to use the money Andy would get to buy/pay a quality LB or o lineman.

Andy is a great person but it is best for everyone that he be traded or released.

I hope he goes to Bucs and leads them to a Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 11:59 AM)bengals67 Wrote: They need to use the money Andy would get to buy/pay a quality LB or o lineman.

Andy is a great person but it is best for everyone that he be traded or released.

Would you buy a Dalton creamsickle jersey or one the alarm clock numbers new style ones?
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 11:59 AM)bengals67 Wrote: They need to use the money Andy would get to buy/pay a quality LB or o lineman.

He better hope the Texans aren’t representing the AFC lol

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 12:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Would you buy a Dalton creamsickle jersey or one the alarm clock numbers new style ones?

Ooooh... I never thought about that angle. Dalton would be lookin' really tight in those throwback pastel pirate unis...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 12:17 PM)jason Wrote: Ooooh... I never thought about that angle. Dalton would be lookin' really tight in those throwback pastel pirate unis...

There would also be the odd trivia that he and Palmer both went to pirate themed teams and eventually played under Arians.  Then he could go to AZ like Boomer and Palmer. 
Reply/Quote

The main issue here is would they actually use the money in that manner? Or do as they usually do and dumpster dive whilst rolling the cap over to “resign player X” whom they will wind up letting go in Free Agency. 
Reply/Quote
Guess we can cross Chicago off the list of teams that's going to give us a high draft pick to make Andy their starter:

https://sports.yahoo.com/mitch-trubisky-bears-starter-2020-175442916.html
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Hell, this most likely means the Fins are out of the Dalton sweepstakes:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/dolphins/2019/12/31/miami-dolphins-hire-chan-gailey-offensive-coordinator/2782335001/

Quote:Gailey, who turns 68 Sunday, was the Dolphins’ offensive coordinator in 2000-01. More importantly, he has spent five seasons with Ryan Fitzpatrick either as his head coach or coordinator, raising the possibility that the Dolphins might be content with their reigning team MVP as their quarterback again in 2020.

Don't lose hope. The Pats could bench Brady in favor of Andy, The Saints could part ways with Brees and Bridgewater, the Chargers could kick Rivers to the curb in favor of Andy...The options are limitless.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 11:25 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: If you meant he went 3-13 against the Steelers and hadn't beat them for 4.5 years yeah he did it for almost a decade. You mean he played good enough to get to the playoffs and STB for five years in a row? Yeah he did that. You mean the QB that has led us to four consecutive losing seasons? Yeah he did that. It kills me that fans are so enamored with a mediocre QB. You will see his value this offseason.

We've always sucked against the Steelers. Marvin went 5-14 against the Steelers with QB's not named "Andy Dalton". He also went 0-3 in the playoffs with other QB's, all of which played terribly. Many people (myself included) view Palmer as a slightly superior QB to Dalton, yet he had a losing record in Cincy. Why is that? He also had a terrible record in prime-time as a Bengal. Why is that?

Did Palmer suck? The things you list as evidence against Andy are all Bengals problems, not exclusive to Andy.

People aren't enamored with Dalton, some are just aware that our problems run deeper than "QB", and that Dalton had a pretty solid run, despite the inept front office. His value now - at 33 years old and coming off his worst season - isn't indicative of the type of career he had as a Bengal.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I think all of us can finally put the Dalton debate to rest. He is who many of us thought he always was. He's an average QB that needs an excellent roster in order for the team to succeed. The first few years the roster was loaded and it enabled him to have some good years but unfortunately it never translated in the playoffs. The last few years he's had a flawed roster and he was never able to lift his team like we hope a franchise type QB can.

It's time to move on; we wasted too much time with him. Turn the page, Burrow has potential to be an elite QB many of us have been clamoring for.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 09:40 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They’re not facts though.

We DO have offensive weapons. Boyd had over 1k yds. Mixon had over a 1k yds. Not every QB has a WR and RB as good as those two. Especially the latter.

And our OL being the worst in the NFL is not a fact. Statistically they were not. There were teams that gave up more sacks, ran for less yds, etc.

The only fact that was actually true is that Dalton was good 4 years ago for 12 games. But that was obviously an outlier, and not something he’s likely to ever repeat again.

As a unit, they were ranked last in the league....and this is a waste of time.  You give Dalton NO credit for threading balls in to very tight places because his receivers didn't generate a lot of separation.  Dalton was good for five consecutive years, not one year.  And his drop off was precipitated by the loss of talent on the offensive line.  

Cleveland had better offensive weapons at WR, TE, and RB.  Why did their offense sputter?  Baker?  No, it was their offensive line.  
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 11:25 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: If you meant he went 3-13 against the Steelers and hadn't beat them for 4.5 years yeah he did it for almost a decade. You mean he played good enough to get to the playoffs and STB for five years in a row? Yeah he did that. You mean the QB that has led us to four consecutive losing seasons? Yeah he did that. It kills me that fans are so enamored with a mediocre QB. You will see his value this offseason.

Enamored?  Five consecutive playoff appearances?  Yes, that was fun.  And he had pitt beat last year, but the defense couldn't get a stop with 1:00 left.  

It kills me that fans are so ignorant to think it is only the QB.  Look at what Tannehill did in Miami...did anyone think he was better than Dalton before joining the TItans?  No.  But I guess it is easier to pin the blame on him.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 08:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Hell, this most likely means the Fins are out of the Dalton sweepstakes:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/dolphins/2019/12/31/miami-dolphins-hire-chan-gailey-offensive-coordinator/2782335001/

Don't lose hope. The Pats could bench Brady in favor of Andy, The Saints could part ways with Brees and Bridgewater, the Chargers could kick Rivers to the curb in favor of Andy...The options are limitless.

You are very confusing. We know you hate Dalton, that is clear seeing your posts for years. Yet, you said you wanted him to stay here and be a backup to Joe in 2019, get paid almost 18 million. 

If he is so bad, why do you want him here in 2019? If you wanted him gone, you would think you would hope he is traded and we get a great deal back for him. Yet, you are openly rooting we either keep him or get nothing in return. Very confusing.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote