Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Dalton sets Expectations in final Press Conference
(01-01-2020, 11:18 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: As a unit, they were ranked last in the league....and this is a waste of time.  You give Dalton NO credit for threading balls in to very tight places because his receivers didn't generate a lot of separation.  Dalton was good for five consecutive years, not one year.  And his drop off was precipitated by the loss of talent on the offensive line.  

Cleveland had better offensive weapons at WR, TE, and RB.  Why did their offense sputter?  Baker?  No, it was their offensive line.  

Mayfield threw the second most interceptions in the league after Winston. That’s on him. Not his OL.

It is possible for the QB and the OL to be a problem simultaneously. I’ve been saying it about our team for 4 years...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 11:25 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Enamored?  Five consecutive playoff appearances?  Yes, that was fun.  And he had pitt beat last year, but the defense couldn't get a stop with 1:00 left.  

It kills me that fans are so ignorant to think it is only the QB.  Look at what Tannehill did in Miami...did anyone think he was better than Dalton before joining the TItans?  No.  But I guess it is easier to pin the blame on him.

Dalton hasn’t beat Pittsburgh in like 10 games, probably best to not bring them up in his defense...

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 12:41 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Mayfield threw the second most interceptions in the league after Winston. That’s on him. Not his OL.

It is possible for the QB and the OL to be a problem simultaneously. I’ve been saying it about our team for 4 years...

So is Mayfield a bust #1 overall pick (using standards being applied in this forum)?

Many in here were singing hos praises not long ago and saying adding OBJ would make him one of the best in the NFL.

Obviously, he regressed in 2019 so what happened after adding weapons.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 11:27 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You are very confusing. We know you hate Dalton, that is clear seeing your posts for years. Yet, you said you wanted him to stay here and be a backup to Joe in 2019, get paid almost 18 million. 

If he is so bad, why do you want him here in 2019? If you wanted him gone, you would think you would hope he is traded and we get a great deal back for him. Yet, you are openly rooting we either keep him or get nothing in return. Very confusing.

I don’t think we know Bfine “hates” Dalton. I’ve seen him praise Andy on multiple occasions. He just happens to hold him accountable when Andy doesn’t play well, which around here equates to being a hater...

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 12:44 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: So is Mayfield a bust #1 overall pick (using standards being applied in this forum)?

Many in here were singing hos praises not long ago and saying adding OBJ would make him one of the best in the NFL.

Obviously, he regressed in 2019 so what happened after adding weapons.

Ofc he’s not a bust yet. But he had one hell of a sophomore slump. Hopefully it continues.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 12:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t think we know Bfine “hates” Dalton. I’ve seen him praise Andy on multiple occasions. He just happens to hold him accountable when Andy doesn’t play well, which around here equates to being a hater...

Fair enough, but he is no fan and gave up on AD a long time ago. So why does he want the FO to keep AD and pay him almost 18 million in 2020?

That was the question that you ignored.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 12:50 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Fair enough, but he is no fan and gave up on AD a long time ago. So why does he want the FO to keep AD and pay him almost 18 million in 2020?

That I can’t answer. I don’t want anything to do with a 17 million dollar backup QB.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 12:53 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That I can’t answer. I don’t want anything to do with a 17 million dollar backup QB.

A 17 million dollar backup QB  [Image: s1015.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 12:50 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Fair enough, but he is no fan and gave up on AD a long time ago. So why does he want the FO to keep AD and pay him almost 18 million in 2020?

It's an investment in the franchise. I know how this organization works. Getting Andy's $17 Mil (considering someone is willing to take him and his contract on) does not mean Mikey is going to but $17 Mil back in the team. He'll put a good deal or it in pumpkin's trust fund. 

If we cut Andy we get nothing and most likely will role with Finley as the back up. You now have a 1 year player in the same QB room as our franchise's future.

Many folks around here want to part with Andy for one reason: The welfare of Andy; I saw it when we benched him. I like Andy as a person, but I don't put his welfare about the other 52 players on this team. 

Here's a question for you:

Who is going to take on Andy's !17 Mil contract and make him their starter? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 01:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It's an investment in the franchise. I know how this organization works. Getting Andy's $17 Mil (considering someone is willing to take him and his contract on) does not mean Mikey is going to but $17 Mil back in the team. He'll put a good deal or it in pumpkin's trust fund. 

If we cut Andy we get nothing and most likely will role with Finley as the back up. You now have a 1 year player in the same QB room as our franchise's future.

Many folks around here want to part with Andy for one reason: The welfare of Andy; I saw it when we benched him. I like Andy as a person, but I don't put his welfare about the other 52 players on this team. 

Here's a question for you:

Who is going to take on Andy's !17 Mil contract and make him their starter? 

You can scratch the Bears off the list. They made it clear they’re rolling with Trubisky.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 01:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You can scratch the Bears off the list. They made it clear they’re rolling with Trubisky.

I know and Miami signed an OC familiar with Fitz, so we can cancel the "Miami takes him while Tua gets 100% angle. The ONLY possible landing  spot I could see for Andy would be TB if they wash their hands of Winston.  But i'd seem more likely they pursue someone like Mariota or Bridgewater; player they can get in FA that are younger.  

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 01:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I know and Miami signed an OC familiar with Fitz, so we can cancel the "Miami takes him while Tua gets 100% angle. The ONLY possible landing  spot I could see for Andy would be TB if they wash their hands of Winston.  But i'd seem more likely they pursue someone like Mariota or Bridgewater; player they can get in FA that are younger.  

Nobody is getting Bridgewater, he is the Saint's next starter when Brees calls it quits.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 01:49 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Nobody is getting Bridgewater, he is the Saint's next starter when Brees calls it quits.

They are both FAs in 2020 and Brees has shown no signs of wanting to hang them up. Are you suggesting they pay both or are you suggesting they let Brees walk?

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 01:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Who is going to take on Andy's !17 Mil contract and make him their starter? 

Probably no one.  They can just say they don't want a $17 million starter and we shouldn't need a $17 million backup QB who may or may not play the mentor role on a team with a QB coach running the show.  

I could see us cutting him and getting any of the backup system guys ZT has had in the past 4 or so years.  There is always the prospect of the surprise injury or retirement angle, too.  The Chargers and the Patriots and all that.  Maybe he ends up in Pittsburgh on the cheap after we cut him and gets to be a big ol' storyline when he takes over for "imma hurt n imma retire, i mean it!" Ben in 2020.
Reply/Quote
I think Andy needs to go either way (cut or trade). He can go somewhere that they will let him compete for a starters job but not in Cincy. I think it’s harder for QBs to be the backup at a place where they have been the starter for a while (like Eli this year). Andy will be happier somewhere else even if he isn’t starting and it will be better for Burrow, too (not having to work with a guy who would rather be somewhere else)

Burrow has to play from day one and if they are smart they will go get a journeyman back up type to be 2nd string and help him out.

I am really interested to see how Andy plays on another team if he does get that opportunity.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 02:49 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I think Andy needs to go either way (cut or trade). He can go somewhere that they will let him compete for a starters job but not in Cincy. I think it’s harder for QBs to be the backup at a place where they have been the starter for a while (like Eli this year). Andy will be happier somewhere else even if he isn’t starting and it will be better for Burrow, too (not having to work with a guy who would rather be somewhere else)

Burrow has to play from day one and if they are smart they will go get a journeyman back up type to be 2nd string and help him out.

I am really interested to see how Andy plays on another team if he does get that opportunity.

Dalton leaving could be more like the whole Tannehill thing where he's recognized as a bit of a time-sink and disappointment but may be able to have a good run on a different team.  I'm still leaning towards it being more likely he gets cut because teams know he wants out, his salary is prohibitive to keep on as a backup, and the contract lets him be cut with no costs.

Maybe we cut him and he gets a bridge starter job or he goes somewhere like Tampa Bay where he could possibly play the Tannehilll to Winston's Mariotta or something.
Reply/Quote
If they could pull off a trade at the start of free agency and get a good pick for Dalton that would be great. But as others have alluded to, its a saturated qb market with qbs teams dont need to give up picks to aquire. What kind of value does Dalton demand, realistically? His value may be greater as a mentor. If he forces the trade thats fine, but you'd like some value in return. A high 2nd round pick at the least.
Reply/Quote
He will be starting QB for the Bears!
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 01:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: They are both FAs in 2020 and Brees has shown no signs of wanting to hang them up. Are you suggesting they pay both or are you suggesting they let Brees walk?

They'll keep both. Brees is 40 years old, and won't play much longer, especially now that he's topped Manning. Teddy is being groomed to take over there and knows it.
Reply/Quote
The contract is not a big blocker if Andy makes it clear he will renegotiate it to dull the cap hit. That is typically what happens in such scenarios.
Reply/Quote