Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you need to see?
Some fire and improved fundamentals from the defense.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2018, 12:38 PM)YsCascadia Wrote: Stop!

Yes the Steelers get a lot of lucky breaks to go their way, but they are also subjected to a lot of bad officiating going against them.

There is some evidence to suggest that the NFL is rigged and that certain storylines and narratives are spun up, however unless some big information is revealed it is all just conspiracy theory.  The shear amount of turnover in the league makes it extremely difficult for this to be true though.

Fact of the matter is, the Steelers do get away with holding, but if you look closely, we do too.  Does the NFL need to do a better job of being consistent?  Yes.  It irritates me to no end to see a game decided by a bad call or no call when the game is on the line, or in the case of the Falcons vs NE Superbowl, the officials confidently calling Edelman's miracle catch a catch, when everyone knows there is no way a person could tell without replay.  That call made the Falcons call the challenge, which replay confirmed was a catch, but the Falcons lost a critical TO that could have changed the course of the game.  Knowing that it was impossible to tell if that ball hit the ground or not during live play, the ruling should have been INC, have the Patriots challenge (if they wanted to) and reverse the call on the field.  If the Patriots don't throw the challenge flag then that is on them, but no one would be suspicious of the officials if they ruled it INC instead of Comp.

I could name countless more, I can even point to "generous" spots by the officials that give teams 1st downs (ahem Saints, he bobbled it before he caught it, and was short), or prevent teams from getting 1st downs when it looks clear that the gain was made.  Consistency is hard to do, but the NFL needs to fix these inconsistencies or they will continue to lose fans.

No, its clearly when we play the Steelers its at its worst. I know that you get more fan points to have this opinion but stop it!!!  The Steelers get away with more holding than the whole NFL combined. It is just an inconsistency because we dont get away with the same things. 
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2018, 05:42 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: No, its clearly when we play the Steelers its at its worst. I know that you get more fan points to have this opinion but stop it!!!  The Steelers get away with more holding than the whole NFL combined. It is just an inconsistency because we dont get away with the same things. 

Why can't we get away with stuff like the Steelers do?
Reply/Quote
I do have some confidence in the Bengals.

But what I need to see right now is them striving to be highly competent at their job.

It starts with responsibility.

Look in the mirror and realize you have the ability to make it in this league. You wouldn't be here if you couldn't. You wouldn't be here if someone didn't believe in you.

But you also have to look at the reality of the situation. Things aren't going well.

You have to look at yourself, look at what your doing wrong and keep working at becoming more competent at it.

Set yourself a goal, push yourself to achieve it. Get a good night's sleep, work hard.

I don't know how everyone else feels, but your entitled to your opinion. But I believe strongly in God. There's a lot of great lessons in that book.

Matthew 13:46 "Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it."

It's a parable that talks about the price you pay for what you love. Everyone understands that.

This is going to be a brutal game. If the Ravens lose this game then it's very likely John Harbaugh is all but gone.

So they're gonna come out fighting with everything they got. They're fighting for jobs in Baltimore. They're fighting for roster spots.

But so are you. So you need to do everything through the week to make sure you're doing everything to make yourself and ultimately the team better.

Cause the NFL can be absolutely brutal and you have to pay the price to be great. It's easy to say I want to be better then Jerry Rice, it's another thing entirely to put in a Jerry Rice work day.

But what most people overlook is the pearl, your that pearl.

What makes a pearl so unique? It's only formed under great pressure. We as humans have the ability to fight adversity. We have the ability to overcome all the odds, to defy them.

It's under this great stress and pressure that we become better versions of ourselves. We were made to overcome them.

It starts with the fundamentals. That's your foundation.

Without your foundation you'll just be running around in circles.

So what I would need to see from the organization, the coaching staff and the players is them striving to be both competent, honest with themselves and taking responsibility.

Doing all the steps it takes to becoming competent and confident in yourself and your teammates.

Then I'll know we can when a playoff game.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2018, 05:56 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Why can't we get away with stuff like the Steelers do?

Maybe its our small market, maybe they really hate mike brown ,maybe its the lack of star power or not the right stars on our team. Idk its something. They just dont want us to win its obvious..people are delusional to me if they think its being called fair..
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2018, 03:35 PM)YsCascadia Wrote: Let's just say I agree with you that there is a problem with consistency in officiating.

I disagree with the notion that the Steelers are a "favored" team and will win no matter what.  Whether we like it or not, the Steelers get their fair share of bad calls.  I remember a game, I think it was 2009, Brett Kiesel was flagged for celebrating a sack on Palmer, it gave us a 1st down.  It was a BS call, as it wasn't excessive and he had done it before without incident. 

We should have won our playoff game against them in 2015, all Hill had to do is hold onto the football, that's it.  We were already in FG range, under 2 mins.  Our goal should have been to get them to take their TOs, they had all 3, and if we get the 1st down, then game over, if not then kick the FG, with under 1 min and them needing a TD.  Yet Hill decided to do something on that play that was lacking from him almost all game long, aggressive running, which allowed for a strip/fumble by the Steelers.  A 1st down play, and he decides to get cocky.  That wasn't officiating, that was all him.

Even this year, the officials didn't allow the Steelers to beat us.  We should have won that game, but instead of slowing down and killing clock, we sped up and scored as fast as we could.  The Steelers lose that game if we score with 30s or less of game time.  That isn't officiating, that is poor game management.
There was absolutely bad officiating in that game,when the steelers was coming back they called a petty call on dre on 3rd dow. They didnt call the illegal pick to win it for them either. Steelers were holding all game. Probably some more but i forget.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2018, 03:56 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So in your opinion we've seen what...only 5 legit SB winners in the past 17 years or so?  It can be argued that the NFL is biased towards the:

Steelers - 2 wins
Patriots - 5 wins
the Mannings - 4 wins
Aaron "Golden Boy" Rogers - 1 win
Drew "the cool dad" Brees - 1 win

Hell, the NFL was pushing the Russel Wilson and Seahawks 12th man crap pretty hard the year they won, and this feel good Philly story last year seems a little contrived, too.  This year the NFL is pushing Brees making his big comeback and return to form, as well as making sure their big-market LA team in the Rams is going to win, too.  The Chiefs are quite the media darling now, too.  Unless some team really comes out of the 6th seed to win it all this year, I'd say the 2018 title is a bs one, too.  So we're looking at like...3 or 4 legit SB wins (and NFL seasons) over the past 20 years.  What a damn shame.

At least we will know as soon as the Bengals have a QB who can win the SB and/or make the HOF it will be a BS win because the NFL will suddenly see the value in cheating for us.
Oh yeah they got the hype seattle did out of nowhere,their stadium was so loud and crazy and i remember even cincinnati fans even started liking them. Fans started jumping on the bandwagon. 

Yeah it can happen that a team catches the hype train..and has a really good team and coaches..its never us though. Certain teams it ssems like they make sure dont go too far. The browns, lions, bengals,are 3 to come to mind. Ask brown fans how many game deciding horrible calls they have had. Pittburgh has been in the playoffs almost every year since the 90s. Like come on no team can do all that. Since ive been a bengals fan i dont remember them having one 4-12 season ,because it would hurt the nfls biggest fanbases feelings. They cant even handle losing hardly at all ,just read what their fans say after one loss lol. 

About the chiefs , that hunt running back didnt look that damn good coming into the nfl now all the sudden hes the new marshawn lynch breaking tackles plus catches the ball. Kc and the saints were allowed holding all game. 

I love the sport and its like a mans soap opera to watch. Its entertaining. But i cant get out of my head that its corrupt. I can tell when things arent fair and the nfl refs arent fair. Neither are they in basketball or baseball. And there was some soccer player on youtube admitting he tanked games to lose on purpose. Where there is tons of money theres going to be corruption. I also follow this guy named brian tuoy or something on twitter he points things out all the time. 
Reply/Quote
Well, I have us winning our next 3. We got a reeling Ravens team with Lamar Jackson, and the Browns and Broncos at home.

That said, in order to believe this team stands any shot whatsoever in the playoffs, I'd need to see the defense show a night/day improvement now that we're going back to familiar schemes. I need more consistency out of the offense with more leaning on the run when it's working (and it's been working a lot).

Then again, tough to believe a Marvin team is serious regardless. We could be 8-0 at home, trucking every opponent in our path, and we'd lose 34-10 at home in the playoffs. Jerry
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2018, 07:12 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Oh yeah they got the hype seattle did out of nowhere,their stadium was so loud and crazy and i remember even cincinnati fans even started liking them. Fans started jumping on the bandwagon. 

Yeah it can happen that a team catches the hype train..and has a really good team and coaches..its never us though. Certain teams it ssems like they make sure dont go too far. The browns, lions, bengals,are 3 to come to mind. Ask brown fans how many game deciding horrible calls they have had. Pittburgh has been in the playoffs almost every year since the 90s. Like come on no team can do all that. Since ive been a bengals fan i dont remember them having one 4-12 season ,because it would hurt the nfls biggest fanbases feelings. They cant even handle losing hardly at all ,just read what their fans say after one loss lol. 

About the chiefs , that hunt running back didnt look that damn good coming into the nfl now all the sudden hes the new marshawn lynch breaking tackles plus catches the ball. Kc and the saints were allowed holding all game. 

I love the sport and its like a mans soap opera to watch. Its entertaining. But i cant get out of my head that its corrupt. I can tell when things arent fair and the nfl refs arent fair. Neither are they in basketball or baseball. And there was some soccer player on youtube admitting he tanked games to lose on purpose. Where there is tons of money theres going to be corruption. I also follow this guy named brian tuoy or something on twitter he points things out all the time. 

Do you ever find yourself tempted to root for an NFL team that is allowed to win?
Reply/Quote
Stop making me believe and then kicking me in the nuts.
Reply/Quote
What do I need to see? I'll quote the late Al Davis:

"Just win, baby!"
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2018, 09:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Do you ever find yourself tempted to root for an NFL team that is allowed to win?

Lol yeah..or just be a nfl fan or something. But its not the same. Listening to your local radio station about your cities team plays a big part. And the people that are associated like dave lapham. Knowing your teams history. 

I used to root for the cowboys when i was a kid,but that went away when it was just emmit smith left and they start sucking. Then i fell in love with the stripes and a team that represented where i live. I really dont understand how people can jump on a team from another state. 
Reply/Quote
One 3 and out would be an improvement
Reply/Quote
Heart. You've got to have miles and miles of heart.
Reply/Quote