Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalvin cook
(09-12-2017, 12:42 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: JFC we're labeling the kid a bust after 1 ***** game? Get a grip people. 

LOL.....that was a TOTALLY hypothetical post Nic...and tongue in cheek.

(09-12-2017, 08:52 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Wyche, you do realize we're talking one game here?

After reading this thread I thought we were talking about Minnesota's HOF running back.  Nope, just a rookie in his first game.  Good grief.

Never understood why people are so quick to pounce on the negative when things go wrong.  Truth is psychologically it indicates low self esteem and it helps them cope with daily life.

Deep breath....inhale, exhale.

Sure I do.....I'm not being negative on Mixon....kid would have probably had similar numbers behind a real line with a real coach.  No question.  I also think that Dalvin Cook would do better here than Joe because of the fact we have a shitty line and his running style suits that situation better.  I watched every game Cook ever played at FSU.....we had some suspect lines and he still shined, so that's my opinion of him.  Like it or lump it.  Go back and read my thoughts on Cook prior to the draft, you will see that I thought, and still do, that he is going to be a very good player in this league.  He broke all of Freeman's numbers at FSU, and how does THAT guy look to you?  It's not just blindly saying,......duuuurrrr one game Hallz of Fames.....dduuuurrr.  It's having watched FSU for 30 years. Capiche?

As for your attempt at being Giambattista Vico.....don't project your psychological shortcomings onto me brother.....I think rather highly of myself. Wink  (see what I did there?)

In all seriousness, my posts have less to do with Joe and Dalvin, and more to do with this dumpster fire of an organization.....but I digress.

(09-12-2017, 09:15 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Your statement without context makes me wonder if you're vying to fill the vacant Fredtoast role on the boards? If so.... Well done!

4 of Mixon's carries were complete garbage carries at the end of the game. 2 came with less than 4 mins left & 2 came with less than 1:10 left in the game.

I was there and felt like he played really well in the 1st quarter and then they sat him the 2nd and 3rd quarters only to bring him out in the 4th in trash time to take a beating instead of Hill. Two of his carries were ridiculous sweeps with 1:06 & :25 on the clock.... Which both lost big yards due Ravens not caring and bringing the house.

This coaching staff is possibly the stupidest I've ever seen. I'm not exaggerating. They are morons.

No shit.....you draft this kid to be your bell cow, then sit him on the bench.  SMFH.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 11:09 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Minnesota actually has a decent offensive line. Last year they sucked, they got rid of everyone on the O-line, picked up solid free agents and draft pick to upgrade and now they looked pretty damn good. Hey Mike and Marvin....take notes you idiots. No O-line = No Success.

Wait so Minnesota actually tried to improve a glaring weakness??????? What is this dark magic???? Ninja
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 10:50 PM)Bengalindayton Wrote: Looks pretty damn good tonight it was either him or mixon for us there at the time in the draft, we got an extra late round pick I believe but, Too early to tell but definitely a better debut than mixon

There is a HUGE difference between the Saints defense and the Ravens defense. We didn't have any room to operate on Sunday. Hopefully we can only go up from here.. I think they will both turn into great backs.
Reply/Quote
Seriously, there are people claiming that Joe Mixon is a bust after one game, simply because two players on other teams (in better situations) did better statistically?

Regardless, the 1.1 yds/carry stat is massively overblown due to him being given garbage time carries when the whole Ravens team were run blitzing. The really interesting stat is when you compare the backs without their fluke carries (i.e. the runs where the OL didn't give them a gaping hole to run into):

Mixon: 6 carries for 18 yards (8 for 9 if you include -9 on the last two plays to run the clock out)
Hill: 5 carries for 14 yards (6 for 26 if you include his 12 yarder)
Bernard: 6 carries for 17 yards (7 for 40 if you include the 23 yarder)
Reply/Quote
It is way too early to crown Cook the better back. It amazes me how reactive our fans are to one game. I liked Cook also, but one concern with Cook is he is not a big back so can he get 25 to 30 touches a game and survive 10 years in the NFL? My hunch says no way, but time will tell.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Cook got stuffed on a bunch of his runs, but they kept feeding him, and it paid off. Our RB by committee looked a lot like the one New Orleans used, and nobody is going to do much like that. Ingram was a big time rusher and receiver last year, Peterson probably has plenty left, and Kamara is a promising rookie; but it takes reps. I'm not sure why AP opted for the Saints, nobody is getting many reps there.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 11:33 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It is way too early to crown Cook the better back. It amazes me how reactive our fans are to one game. I liked Cook also, but one concern with Cook is he is not a big back so can he get 25 to 30 touches a game and survive 10 years in the NFL? My hunch says no way, but time will tell.

I agree.....my point was, I felt Cook was the better fit HERE because of our shaky o line.  He is very quick in space, he is small enough to get lost in the scrum (so to speak) and squeeze out a positive play, he can catch the ball, and he's dynamite in a small(ish) package.  Don't let looks deceive you, he is very strong.  That was my position before the draft, and still is.  

That being said, Mixon is a premier talent as well, I'm just not sure his style is going to bode well until we can get someone to open some holes for him.  That is the same reason I didn't like Fournette as a fit HERE.  Ol Leonard sure gave them hell in Houston though, wow.  I was also VERY impressed with LF in donating 50k to JJ Watt's hurricane relief fund, and his VERY humble post game interview.  I am a big fan of LF the person after watching that.

EDIT: also....it can't be overlooked that Mixon split carries at OU, can he withstand the rigors of the NFL?

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 11:33 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It is way too early to crown Cook the better back. It amazes me how reactive our fans are to one game. I liked Cook also, but one concern with Cook is he is not a big back so can he get 25 to 30 touches a game and survive 10 years in the NFL? My hunch says no way, but time will tell.

Cook had the highest yards after contact average last year in college football and caused the most missed tackles. Both of those items would be desireable between our bad offensive line.

I will say that it's way too early to tell who will end up the better pro.

Personally I wanted Cook in the draft.
Reply/Quote
It's still early, but safe to say Mixon had the most disappointing outing out of the acclaimed rookie rb's (Fournette, Hunt, Cook, McCaffrey, Cohen, you name them they all shined this weekend). Time will tell, but Mixon may not shine until Hill is gone.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 09:59 AM)Wyche Wrote: No shit.....you draft this kid to be your bell cow, then sit him on the bench.  SMFH.

I'm not meaning to defend the organization, but did they ever openly say Mixon was drafted to be a bell cow? Or did the fans assume it would happen based on Mixon's skill set?
The intent for Mixon may have always been a RBBC all along.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 01:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not meaning to defend the organization, but did they ever openly say Mixon was drafted to be a bell cow? Or did the fans assume it would happen based on Mixon's skill set?
The intent for Mixon may have always been a RBBC all along.

Ya know.....you're right.  I don't recall them specifically saying that, so I guess I'm operating on fan assumptions, as well as my own assumption that you don't take a guy that draws that much ire from the public if you don't plan on using him.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 12:41 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Their numbers were inflated by 1 or 2 big runs that they broke off, most of their runs went nowhere or backwards. 

28 + 1 + 2 + 3 +1 + 2 + 0 = 6.14 YPC  

6.14 looks awesome, but when you actually watch the game and see it unfold you realize that the YPC is more like 1 or 2 with the other run skewing the stats.

Too be specific with Gio (who I really like but numbers don't lie) he had 7 carries for 40 yards, the longest one being 23. So on 6 other carries he got 17 yards or... 2.83 YPC which is more like the norm on the day for all the backs with a bad O-line.

On the same line of thinking. Hill broke off one long run on the very first drive. He went for 12 yards. After that run, he had 5 carries for 14 yards which is....you guessed it 2.8 YPC. Once against nothing flashy at all.
Most backs that have a high YPC are aided by a couple long runs. So Hill broke off a long run one every 6 attempts, but there is no way he or Gio could go for 100 with this Oline. Like I said; it's just something folks are saying because they are mad at the oline. Maybe, just maybe this team is built more to run than to pass.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
FWIW, I have not seen anyone suggest Mixon is a bust; although I have seen it mentioned a couple times that people are.

Personally I think he will be a superstar; however, when back A runs for 1.1. YPC and back B runs for 4.3 (with another long on called back). You really have nothing to go on to suggest he should be the featured back except that's what you want.

Of all the mistakes the Bengals made Sunday, I can't say not running Mixon enough was one of them. Now only running Gio and Jeremy for a total of 14 carries with having Andy throw it over 30 times may have been

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 04:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: FWIW, I have not seen anyone suggest Mixon is a bust; although I have seen it mentioned a couple times that people are.

Personally I think he will be a superstar; however, when back A runs for 1.1. YPC and back B runs for 4.3 (with another long on called back). You really have nothing to go on to suggest he should be the featured back except that's what you want.

I am cool with A and B, but you can't have a C. Saints are struggling with the same issue, when you have 3 backs no one really gets a chance to get going. We have got to get away from a 3 way split.
Reply/Quote
Hill was supposed to be our short yardage and redzone back only. With Mixon being in early and Gio on 3rd down. But Hill's looked to have improved, and that has thrown the plan off.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 01:43 PM)jj22 Wrote: It's still early, but safe to say Mixon had the most disappointing outing out of the acclaimed rookie rb's (Fournette, Hunt, Cook, McCaffrey, Cohen, you name them they all shined this weekend). Time will tell, but Mixon may not shine until Hill is gone.

I would hardly say Mccaffrey "shined." 13 carries for 47 yds 3.6 avg.

Reply/Quote
Which one would most likely help your running game?

A: Your QB goes 27 for 32 for 346 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs, and a passer rating of 143.0

or

B: Your QB goes 16 for 31 for 170 yards, 0 TDs, 4 INTs, and a passer rating of 28.4

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 11:26 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Man if we could just figure out a way to get those sexy picks in the first couple rounds and fix our line hmmm. Naaaa we don't need FA players, just a bunch of overpriced has beens, silly teams keep falling for that every year. We build threw the draft, that's the only way to build a team everybody knows this.

Is it just a coincidence we haven't won a playoff game since modern FA started 26 years ago? I'm sure that's just a crazy coincidence that has absolutely nothing to do with this franchises winning formula.

There is probably a stone tablet in Mikey's man-cave that says "Thou Shall NOT Use FAs to Make the Team Better"!
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 06:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Which one would most likely help your running game?

A: Your QB goes 27 for 32 for 346 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs, and a passer rating of 143.0

or

B: Your QB goes 16 for 31 for 170 yards, 0 TDs, 4 INTs, and a passer rating of 28.4

Is this one of those "loaded questions" I hear about? Nervous
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2017, 10:05 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Is this one of those "loaded questions" I hear about? Nervous

It's kinda like.....which would help your passing game more, 3 backs who combined for 77 yards on 22 carries for 3.5 per, or ONE back who had 22 carries for 127 yards for 5.8? Ninja

Reply/Quote