Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Damar Hamlin
New York Times reported that he went into cardiac arrest..That certainly wasn't on the betting lines. 
If you've ever been in cardiac arrest its not fun..
I'm guessing he'll have a full recovery, but his football career ended most likely.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Just got home from work. Had yhe game recorded. Very strange, disturbing even. Thoughts and prayers to mr hamlin and his family.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 06:19 AM)grampahol Wrote: New York Times reported that he went into cardiac arrest..That certainly wasn't on the betting lines. 
If you've ever been in cardiac arrest its not fun..
I'm guessing he'll have a full recovery, but his football career ended most likely.. 

They had to preform CPR on him for a while. He might not even have a full recovery. Hopefully he will.
Reply/Quote
I haven't felt like this since the dark days of waiting to hear the news on Chris Henry on the old forum. Different kind of tragedy to be sure but utterly sickening just the same. If he doesn't recover I'm not sure I'll be able to watch another game ever again especially at PBS even though this was just a freak accident.

It's getting weird with all of the major injuries that have happened there during Primetime night games especially considering we don't get that many.

Huber
Shazier
Tua

And now Damar Hamlin is fighting for his life.

Reply/Quote
Shazier was labeled a dangerous tackler before he got injured and had dirty hits against bengals players.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/21/ryan-shaziers-hit-in-playoffs-will-now-be-a-penalty/
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 06:58 AM)DYT_Bengal Wrote: Shazier was labeled a dangerous tackler before he got injured and had dirty hits against bengals players.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/21/ryan-shaziers-hit-in-playoffs-will-now-be-a-penalty/

Yeah that was a nasty game (shudders)  - but nobody left on a stretcher. And then Burfict was basically banned after turning Browns brains into scrambled eggs. Still, you don't want to see the guy break his own spine on your field during PT.

Reply/Quote
A similar situation happened in an NFL game 52 years ago. The outcome was far different. On October 24, 1971, Chuck Hughes, a 2nd year wide receiver for the Detroit Lions suddenly dropped on the field following a play, in much the same way Damar Hamlin fell last night. Chuck died there on the field. The cause of death was a coronary thrombosis which caused a myocardial infarction. A heart attack, like Damar.

But the difference in speed of the recognition and assistance for the condition have changed from night to day since 1971. In 1971, Chuck lay on the Bears side of the field face down for what seemed like an eternity before a concerned Dick Butkus and official began frantically flagging to the sidelines for aid. Last night, the aid was swift and on the nose.

Football is a brutal game and has a reputation for some awful injuries. But it should be noted that in the 100+ years history of the National Football League, Chuck has been the only player in the league who has ever died on the field.

BTW - After Chuck was carted off the field in an ambulance (according to accounts he was dead at the time, but they were trying to resuscitate), the game officials decided to re-start the game clock. There was approximately one minute left in the game. But the coaches and players on both teams refused to line up or run any plays. Instead, they just let the game clock expire and the score stand.

[Image: chuck-hughes_2rfxjzs4ab1y1dwj3wala03h0.j...k=zySFB3LS]
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
I couldnt sleep a wink last night. Today is gonna be a brutal day at work but i know thats nothing compared to what this young man and his family and team are going through. I was fearing the worst when I finally did check the news again this morning.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 08:50 AM)Browns Town Bengal Wrote: I couldnt sleep a wink last night. Today is gonna be a brutal day at work but i know thats nothing compared to what this young man and his family and team are going through. I was fearing the worst when I finally did check the news again this morning.

Well the good news is they stabilized his vitals, but I’m worried because they have made absolutely no announcements whatever which leaves me concerned that he could have severe impairment brain wise I reckon from the potential lack of oxygen or blood to the brain while they were working to getting his heart back to going. It only takes a short amount of time to cause major issues in those sort of situations.

I just feel like the lack of news thusfar is extremely concerning to me, but idk how long or how much they’d have to look at or wait to know the full extent of the what’s going on.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 08:54 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Well the good news is they stabilized his vitals, but I’m worried because they have made absolutely no announcements whatever which leaves me concerned that he could have severe impairment brain wise I reckon from the potential lack of oxygen or blood to the brain while they were working to getting his heart back to going. It only takes a short amount of time to cause major issues in those sort of situations.

I just feel like the lack of news thusfar is extremely concerning to me, but idk how long or how much they’d have to look at or wait to know the full extent of the what’s going on.

I really do not expect him to have brain damage. He got medical treatment almost immediately... far faster than someone having a heart attack at home and waiting on an ambulance. They slapped an AED on him almost immediately and started CPR.  I'm praying for good news today. As far as no news, it's the middle of the night, it's up to the family what gets released, and I'm sure family members are still making their way to Cincy. Lack of a news conference on his condition is not surprising. 
Reply/Quote
24 years old is much to early in one’s life to face such a terrible event. Prayers to him and his family. I have children that played sports much of their young lives and can’t even imagine the pain his Family must be gong through at this time.
Reply/Quote
Part of me wonders if this will change the nfl. Like we know about cte and the other injuries.

For me, this is possibly scarier because it wasn't some huge collision.

I wonder if we'll see guys decide its not worth it and retire.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 09:16 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I really do not expect him to have brain damage. He got medical treatment almost immediately... far faster than someone having a heart attack at home and waiting on an ambulance. They slapped an AED on him almost immediately and started CPR.  I'm praying for good news today. As far as no news, it's the middle of the night, it's up to the family what gets released, and I'm sure family members are still making their way to Cincy. Lack of a news conference on his condition is not surprising. 

It's pretty amazing that the medical staff was able to act as quick as they did when you think about it. Just top notch medical treatment.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 09:32 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Part of me wonders if this will change the nfl. Like we know about cte and the other injuries.

For me, this is possibly scarier because it wasn't some huge collision.

I wonder if we'll see guys decide its not worth it and retire.

Nope, freak accident. No reason to change any rule, and it's still far less dangerous than hockey, auto racing, etc., and athletes still do that. NFL players make life changing money, They love the game. At most we may see some retire earlier.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 09:35 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Nope, freak accident. No reason to change any rule, and it's still far less dangerous than hockey, auto racing, etc., and athletes still do that. NFL players make life changing money, They love the game. At most we may see some retire earlier.

So I agree with your post conceptually, but society has changed a lot recently.

Guys sat out for covid. Some retired.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 09:39 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So I agree with your post conceptually, but society has changed a lot recently.

Guys sat out for covid. Some retired.

A few did, but the overwhelmingly vast majority is right back on the field. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 10:02 AM)C0de_M0nkey Wrote: This never happened before the NFL mandated the Covid vaccine.

This also never happened before the Soviet Union collapsed. There’s gotta be something there.
Reply/Quote
Get well soon.. Hopefully we hear what caused it ive seen lots of speculation and and theory's

But the one that makes the most sense i heard is that if your chest takes a big impact at the exact right time it can stop/disrupt the heart beat called “commotio cordis.”
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 10:16 AM)C0de_M0nkey Wrote: Big difference between a government collapsing and injecting an experimental MRNA vaccine into everyone’s veins.

Now is not the time for this.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 10:16 AM)C0de_M0nkey Wrote: Big difference between a government collapsing and injecting an experimental MRNA vaccine into everyone’s veins.

My sweet Lord…what is wrong with you?
Reply/Quote