Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Damar Hamlin
(01-03-2023, 01:45 AM)BengalB Wrote: You always put the pads on in any situation when someone falls out...then you turn on the AED and it does the rest. 

If you've taken BLS (community type CPR classes) the AED is designed to tell you exactly what to do, in what order, what it is doing and what it needs you to do. It'll say, resume CPR, stop, analyzing, shock advised and/or resume CPR. It'll go through that cycle over and over until help (meaning paramedics with advanced support measures and practice) arrive on scene.

The AED is probably the best medical invention in the last 50 years, if not longer. They are amazing little boxes that have saved countless lives.

Appreciate your input on this. Hoping and praying that Hamlin makes a full recovery
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:53 AM)cinci4life Wrote: ESPN talking to a Bills reporter and she said most of the team is still at the stadium in the locker room.

Makes more sense. Why would they leave town if Hamlin is hospitalized here? 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:43 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: If the worst happens, I don't know if I'd play the rest of the year.

I definitely wouldn't play the rest of the regular season. Even if he recovers, I couldn't play the rest of this and then the final game of the season.

But I'm not a player, so my feelings mean jack all.

Agree. I've saw games where a guy had gotten hurt pretty bad, like a broken neck...and I have no clue how they are able to play again minutes later.

Prayers to Hamlin and his family. I can't emphasize that enough. And prayers for wisdom for the medical team treating him.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:59 AM)Joelist Wrote: Makes more sense. Why would they leave town if Hamlin is hospitalized here? 

Not to mention the game would have ended at 11:30 or so if it went normal. Then players would do locker room stuff. A flight out of town wouldn't be scheduled until much later.

Even busses likely wouldn't be ready to go that quick.
Reply/Quote
It is traumatic to see someone die. Postponing the game was the right thing to do. Sounds like Hamlin may recover. Keep praying.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
I just read that his GoFundme toy drive raised $1 million within hours of this.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:43 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: If the worst happens, I don't know if I'd play the rest of the year.

I definitely wouldn't play the rest of the regular season. Even if he recovers, I couldn't play the rest of this and then the final game of the season.

But I'm not a player, so my feelings mean jack all.

I wouldn’t expect them to finish this game unless it would be tomorrow which is highly doubtful. But I’d be surprised if the Bills missed next week. I’m curious what they do if the game is cancelled. No contest? Tie? Bengals win since they had the lead?

Anyways let’s hope we hear good news about Hamlin in the morning.
Reply/Quote
This is a thread like this one on the Bills message board. They have been very complimentary of Cincinnati coaches players and fans

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/244896-damar-hamlin-injury/page/50/
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 02:06 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I just read that his GoFundme toy drive raised $1 million within hours of this.

This reminds me of when Bills fans donoted 400k to Andy Dalton's foundation when we beat Baltimore and sent the Bills to the playoff. So much respect for the fans of both teams. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:17 AM)BengalB Wrote: I am glad you are here and I am sorry you experienced that. I imagine it was probably the scariest thing you've experienced, or at least top three.

I am a nurse with nearly a quarter century of care under my belt and this blew my mind tonight. Hearing everyone say "it's gotta be Commotio Cordis" really got on my nerves because it doesn't quite fit. Not saying that isn't what happened but it usually takes a harder impact, like a baseball to the chest or hockey puck iirc. Something traveling fast and that is solid. It also happens to kids/younger athletes and is quite rare as it has to happen at exactly the right time in the exact spot in the exact way.

To put it simply, it takes a few things to align for commotio cordis to occur and iirc, NFL players wear pads that also cover their sternum and ribs, correct? 

Anyways, what I was saying before, in order to ventilate someone successfully, you must paralyze them. In order to not make it the most horrifying experience of their life, and in the process causing them even more harm, medications, likely propofol, tare used to put them asleep prior to paralyzing them for intubatiion. It is a very quick process. I only say propofol because it is commonly used, is able to be titrated up and down and wears off quickly. But it could also be fentanyl and versed...So many other drugs depending on what they think is going on.

With his vital signs being stable, I'd be kind of surprised if this was cardiac related, but he is young and in top physical health, so it could be...Idk. 

If he is not breathing on his own though, it could be a few things but it makes me think of brain or high spinal cord/brain stem injury. Also, in ACLS we're taught repeatedly to think about the H's and T's...

Him standing up after the play, for several seconds. I don't know if he would be able to do that if he was in a lethal rhythm at that moment. We know they started CPR but I have not heard if they actually used the defibrillator or not. They would only use the defibrillator if a shock was advised, for example ventricular tachycardia without a pulse (aka pulseless V tach) or ventricular fibrillation.

Pulseless electrical activity aka PEA and aystole aka no electrical activity and no rhythm at all, require CPR. Electrical issues, aka lethal arrhythmias are normally corrected with electricity (defib) and then medications to keep that rhythm from returning. 

I am not going to speculate at all. I am going to pray for this young man, his teammates, our Bengals and everyone who was watching that game tonight. I am sad to hear that Cincinnati was not being as classy as I thought they were. But some people handle trauma and emotional events better than others. That is all.

I'm not disagreeing or trying to argue, but i just watched a video of two 20-30ish men sparring, most likely karate--one man threw a "simple" punch that hit the other man around his left breast. The men turned around and walked back to their spot, turned around and the struck man slumped and fell to the ground, where he was administered CPR. The video was specifically about CC. 

I'm not doubting you in any way, just providing what i saw. About 30 minutes after it happened my wife (who was uncharacteristically watching the game with me) was racking her brain to try and figure out what would have caused it. She was a nurse for 30+ years before transitioning to being a clinical liason, and she said CC. 

If it was that, it would explain how he was able to stand up right after the impact, before collapsing back to the ground. 

To be clear. I'm not a medical professional and my wife isn't/wasn't an MD. That just seems, to me, to be the most likely, or one of the most likely, scenarios.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:17 AM)BengalB Wrote: If he is not breathing on his own though, it could be a few things but it makes me think of brain or high spinal cord/brain stem injury. Also, in ACLS we're taught repeatedly to think about the H's and T's...

That's what I was thinking when I saw it.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 02:06 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I just read that his GoFundme toy drive raised $1 million within hours of this.

Just donated.  It's over 2 million now.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 03:15 AM)samhain Wrote: Just donated.  It's over 2 million now.

I saw the initial goal was like $2,500. Awesome!
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
He is in God's hands. Hope for a complete recovery.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Is it his own personal toy drive or something a greater non-profit uses him as a figurehead for?

That money could've went to his family and directly impact his well-being. If the money just lines the pockets of some non-profit exec.
Reply/Quote
Thoughts with all involved.
Reply/Quote
[video=youtube]http://[/video]

Doctor explains commotio cordis.  Sounds like it is extremely rare.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 02:11 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I wouldn’t expect them to finish this game unless it would be tomorrow which is highly doubtful. But I’d be surprised if the Bills missed next week. I’m curious what they do if the game is cancelled. No contest? Tie? Bengals win since they had the lead?

Anyways let’s hope we hear good news about Hamlin in the morning.

When Christian Eriksen had a heart attack during the Euro 2020 game between Denmark and Finland, they finished the game hours later... as in on the same day. Fans never even left the stadium. I don't think I can forgive UEFA for their decision to make the players do so. Found it absolutely disgusting. Good on the NFL, to postpone this game.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to catch the game, but I can remember casually watching that Denmark game and how sick my whole body felt watching Eriksen receive CPR. Fortunately, the Eriksen story had a good ending, as he's fine and back to playing top level football. I really pray Hamlin can come through this, and come through in decent shape. 
Reply/Quote