Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Damar Hamlin
I think all fans want great news. To be honest, I thought based on the reaction from coaches and players, he had little chance of survival. So for someone like me (not a medical professional), the fact he is in the care of professionals provides some hope.

I think we all want hope for the young man.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:00 AM)pally Wrote: UC Medical Center has informed media that there will be statement coming from them sometime tonight...no specific time given

I imagine it’ll be a vague statement unless something drastically changes.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:06 AM)pally Wrote: The Bills are leaving Cincinnati per joe Dannaman

That seems odd on a few levels. They're leaving him behind?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:55 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: I’m not gonna get too into this, but if he isn’t able to talk or is completely chair bound like Stephen Hawking, it’s not good

(01-03-2023, 12:56 AM)BengalB Wrote: It is not "great news." Two people have let you know that and I've tried to explain in the simplest layman's terms why. 

But yet it seems you need to have the last word...

(01-03-2023, 12:57 AM)pally Wrote: Until he is breathing on his own it is good that BP and pulse are normal but it is secondary to the breathing problems

Sorry maybe my choice of words wasn't good. I fully get he is nowhere out of the woods having a breathing tube put in. Guess i should have said it was positive news or update.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:12 AM)jason Wrote: That seems odd on a few levels. They're leaving him behind?

4real?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:06 AM)pally Wrote: The Bills are leaving Cincinnati   per joe Dannaman

What? Right now?
Reply/Quote
Classy move by Zac to pull the players. No way they could play that.
Reply/Quote
They keep showing the coaches mid field on Fox News. You can pretty much read Taylor's lips... I think told the Bills coach "Whatever you want to do"
Reply/Quote
Diggs is currently at the hospital with Hamlin so can’t be the entire team.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:07 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Well, that makes a replay tomorrow more difficult. 

According to ESPN, the postponement is official via the NFL, with no date to replay, which is likely why the Bills left.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:58 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’ve had this being anesthetized/breathing tube thing done; it’s scary but I’m here posting tonight.

Keep praying for Damar.
I am glad you are here and I am sorry you experienced that. I imagine it was probably the scariest thing you've experienced, or at least top three.

I am a nurse with nearly a quarter century of care under my belt and this blew my mind tonight. Hearing everyone say "it's gotta be Commotio Cordis" really got on my nerves because it doesn't quite fit. Not saying that isn't what happened but it usually takes a harder impact, like a baseball to the chest or hockey puck iirc. Something traveling fast and that is solid. It also happens to kids/younger athletes and is quite rare as it has to happen at exactly the right time in the exact spot in the exact way.

To put it simply, it takes a few things to align for commotio cordis to occur and iirc, NFL players wear pads that also cover their sternum and ribs, correct? 

Anyways, what I was saying before, in order to ventilate someone successfully, you must paralyze them. In order to not make it the most horrifying experience of their life, and in the process causing them even more harm, medications, likely propofol, tare used to put them asleep prior to paralyzing them for intubatiion. It is a very quick process. I only say propofol because it is commonly used, is able to be titrated up and down and wears off quickly. But it could also be fentanyl and versed...So many other drugs depending on what they think is going on.

With his vital signs being stable, I'd be kind of surprised if this was cardiac related, but he is young and in top physical health, so it could be...Idk. 

If he is not breathing on his own though, it could be a few things but it makes me think of brain or high spinal cord/brain stem injury. Also, in ACLS we're taught repeatedly to think about the H's and T's...

Him standing up after the play, for several seconds. I don't know if he would be able to do that if he was in a lethal rhythm at that moment. We know they started CPR but I have not heard if they actually used the defibrillator or not. They would only use the defibrillator if a shock was advised, for example ventricular tachycardia without a pulse (aka pulseless V tach) or ventricular fibrillation.

Pulseless electrical activity aka PEA and aystole aka no electrical activity and no rhythm at all, require CPR. Electrical issues, aka lethal arrhythmias are normally corrected with electricity (defib) and then medications to keep that rhythm from returning. 

I am not going to speculate at all. I am going to pray for this young man, his teammates, our Bengals and everyone who was watching that game tonight. I am sad to hear that Cincinnati was not being as classy as I thought they were. But some people handle trauma and emotional events better than others. That is all.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:06 AM)pally Wrote: The Bills are leaving Cincinnati per joe Dannaman

Makes me think the game is just cancelled. Don’t see the logistics here.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:15 AM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: Diggs is currently at the hospital with Hamlin so can’t be the entire team.

There is no way they've left town.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:17 AM)BengalB Wrote: I am glad you are here and I am sorry you experienced that. I imagine it was probably the scariest thing you've experienced, or at least top three.

I am a nurse with nearly a quarter century of care under my belt and this blew my mind tonight. Hearing everyone say "it's gotta be Commotio Cordis" really got on my nerves because it doesn't quite fit. Not saying that isn't what happened but it usually takes a harder impact, like a baseball to the chest or hockey puck iirc. Something traveling fast and that is solid. It also happens to kids/younger athletes and is quite rare as it has to happen at exactly the right time in the exact spot in the exact way.

To put it simply, it takes a few things to align for commotio cordis to occur and iirc, NFL players wear pads that also cover their sternum and ribs, correct? 

Anyways, what I was saying before, in order to ventilate someone successfully, you must paralyze them. In order to not make it the most horrifying experience of their life, and in the process causing them even more harm, medications, likely propofol, tare used to put them asleep prior to paralyzing them for intubatiion. It is a very quick process. I only say propofol because it is commonly used, is able to be titrated up and down and wears off quickly. But it could also be fentanyl and versed...So many other drugs depending on what they think is going on.

With his vital signs being stable, I'd be kind of surprised if this was cardiac related, but he is young and in top physical health, so it could be...Idk. 

If he is not breathing on his own though, it could be a few things but it makes me think of brain or high spinal cord/brain stem injury. Also, in ACLS we're taught repeatedly to think about the H's and T's...

Him standing up after the play, for several seconds. I don't know if he would be able to do that if he was in a lethal rhythm at that moment. We know they started CPR but I have not heard if they actually used the defibrillator or not. They would only use the defibrillator if a shock was advised, for example ventricular tachycardia without a pulse (aka pulseless V tach) or ventricular fibrillation.

Pulseless electrical activity aka PEA and aystole aka no electrical activity and no rhythm at all, require CPR. Electrical issues, aka lethal arrhythmias are normally corrected with electricity (defib) and then medications to keep that rhythm from returning. 

I am not going to speculate at all. I am going to pray for this young man, his teammates, our Bengals and everyone who was watching that game tonight. I am sad to hear that Cincinnati was not being as classy as I thought they were. But some people handle trauma and emotional events better than others. That is all.

Great, informative post. Thanks for providing your thoughts.
Reply/Quote
It will take time for the medical team to give more information than vitals...

Based on what was observed and available reports, I think it is fair to assume a cardiac arrhythmia either from contact or genetic predisposition (or both) that required CPR and an AED to get him into normal sinus rhythm. The risk from the pulseless time period during the CPR is lack of oxygen to the brain. Sedating a patient and placing them on a ventilator is not that abnormal for this type of situation. They will need to run neurologic tests and possibly an MRI of the brain to better understand the possibility of these injuries. It will require time.

It would be hard to give substantial updates until tomorrow.

Not everyone can be an NFL player. As someone in the medical field, I encourage everyone to learn CPR and how to work an AED.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Thoughts and prayers go out to Damar and his family, we’re all pulling for you! Wow, what a nightmarish and surreal night, this was just absolutely unnerving to see unfold on live TV.
Reply/Quote
I’ve seen some on this board and elsewhere saying that the NFL should rule this game as a tie. I just don’t see the NFL doing that. Maybe if this were a game between two teams with losing records, but ruling it a tie would knock the Bills out of the #1 seed and give the Bengals the AFCN crown.

I know that football isn’t what’s important at the moment, but at some point it will be. I think it’s more likely that they play the game sometime this week, and push both teams’ week 18 games to Monday or Tuesday. It may even be more likely that they delay the playoffs by a week and move this game to after week 18.

Regardless of what happens, I’m a Bills fan in the moment. Everyone is pulling for Hamlin, and personally, I’m hoping that the Bills are able to bounce back emotionally from this.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
They are  showing the Bills buses still at the stadium at 11;20 on ESPN

Maybe they are going to the hospital when they leave the stadium
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

That doesn’t give me a good feeling.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:22 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: They are  showing the Bills buses still at the stadium at 11;20 on ESPN

Maybe they are going to the hospital when they leave the stadium

They reported Diggs arriving at the hospital a few minutes ago.
Reply/Quote