Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damian Willis
(08-05-2019, 12:07 PM)TopSix Wrote: Of course he has/had hands.  He was a D1, NFL first round  (top 10) pick. 

Even all state HS WRs have hands.  Every D1 and D2 WR in the nation has 'hands'

MOeller, Maderia, hell even Batavie, their Wrs 1s have 'hands'

But, it hasnt translated to anything for Ross in the NFL.  That is the problem

I feel like Ross's issues are mostly the mental side of the game and that includes the will to fight for 50/50 balls with DB's. And he gets injured a decent bit which is physical.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 12:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I feel like Ross's issues are mostly the mental side of the game and that includes the will to fight for 50/50 balls with DB's. And he gets injured a decent bit which is physical.

His problem is never going to remedy. 

He isnt built for, nor is he physical enough to play in the NFL.  I dont even think I have ever seen him get tackled yet.  

He got Hit once, and he fumbled.  But. I have yet to see him actually catch a ball and take a hard hit over the middle.  Have you?

Reply/Quote
Why does a Willis thread turn into a Ross thread? He is competing against more than Ross. Do we need one more bash Ross thread? It is getting old.

Let's discuss Willis in the Willis thread please.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 12:07 PM)TopSix Wrote: Of course he has/had hands.  He was a D1, NFL first round  (top 10) pick. 

Even all state HS WRs have hands.  Every D1 and D2 WR in the nation has 'hands'

MOeller, Maderia, hell even Batavie, their Wrs 1s have 'hands'

But, it hasnt translated to anything for Ross in the NFL.  That is the problem

How hasn't it translated to "anything"? He had 7 TDs last year. He's a red zone weapon. You can't be a red zone weapon with terrible hands. Just ask Dan Coats.
Ross's only potential issue with catching balls is with trying to catch tough deep passes. Just because someone may struggle with that doesn't mean they have "no hands."
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2019, 10:32 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Willis gives them that target that falls between a AJ Green and Tyler Eifert
size wise.
sometimes WRs that go to colleges that arent exactly on ESPN every 4 days
turn out to be real.diamonds

(08-05-2019, 10:08 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Willis is actually smaller than AJ according to their roster page.
Green - 6'4", 210 lbs
Willis - 6'3", 204 lbs

(08-05-2019, 11:01 AM)impactplaya Wrote: your right.but does Willis look thicker?

I’d like to throw Bryant into the size discussion as well at 6’3” 205.
Reply/Quote
What I'm hoping for is that UDFAs who are looking good in camp get to play with the twos and ones in some games and show whether or not they belong. Historically they mostly ever play with the 3s.

Last year Auden Tate killed it in camp, but had a lot of drops when he made it to the 53.
Reply/Quote
"Looking thicker" is kind of meaningless. They can either be counted on in games or they cannot. Looking thicker means almost nothing if that much.
Anyway, my gut reaction has Willis making the team and succeeding beyond expectations and beating out Ross in the pecking order, but just like "looking thicker" my "gut reaction" is also meaningless. 
Any other "gut reactions"?  Mellow
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 02:32 PM)3wt Wrote: What I'm hoping for is that UDFAs who are looking good in camp get to play with the twos and ones in some games and show whether or not they belong.  Historically they mostly ever play with the 3s.

Last year Auden Tate killed it in camp, but had a lot of drops when he made it to the 53.

Willis has been seeing time with the 1's in camp.  I think it's good on a number of levels.  When other guys see players with zero standing moving up the depth chart like that, the more established guys start sweating for their jobs and pushing harder.  The other "camp meat" guys see that they'll get rewarded if they perform well.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 02:41 PM)Whatever Wrote: Willis has been seeing time with the 1's in camp.  I think it's good on a number of levels.  When other guys see players with zero standing moving up the depth chart like that, the more established guys start sweating for their jobs and pushing harder.  The other "camp meat" guys see that they'll get rewarded if they perform well.

True.  I know there are limited snaps, but other than that seeing UDFAs and late round picks taking snaps with the ones if they have been playing well is a really healthy competition dynamic.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 02:18 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I’d like to throw Bryant into the size discussion as well at 6’3” 205.

Let's add Josh Malone and Cody Core too!
6'3", 205 lbs for both of them.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Quote:The other "camp meat" guys see that they'll get rewarded if they perform well.
Performing well is kind of the name of the game. The reward has always been from performing well. Very few "camp meat" guys ever become super star trillionaires by not performing well. I can't think of too many..
You just never see or hear, "Hey look! That guy really sucks and can't play worth diddly squat. Let's give him a 20 year contract worth billions!"  On the other hand...Sometimes you do..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 01:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: How hasn't it translated to "anything"? He had 7 TDs last year. He's a red zone weapon. You can't be a red zone weapon with terrible hands. 

Ross's success in the red zone had nothing to do with skill.  It was all about getting favorable coverage matchups against red zone defenses.

If his 7tds catches were based in any way on any skill then he would have been able to use it anywhere else on the field.  IN fact he would have been able to use it EVEN BETTER between the 20's where defenses have more space to cover and receivers have more room to get open.
Reply/Quote
Like a good late round/undrafted success story. Best man for the job. Hope someone shines bright and can carry it over to the regular season, no matter who it is.
Reply/Quote
Willis is getting lots of hype. I’m really getting excited about this guy. Can’t wait to see what he shows this preseason.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 01:19 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Let's discuss Willis in the Willis thread please.

I wanna talk about Dalton. Cause he has to throw the ball to Willis...and Ross.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 01:19 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Why does a Willis thread turn into a Ross thread? He is competing against more than Ross. Do we need one more bash Ross thread? It is getting old.

Because I was actually enjoying the Willis thread
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 01:19 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Why does a Willis thread turn into a Ross thread? He is competing against more than Ross. Do we need one more bash Ross thread? It is getting old.

What you talkin’ ‘bout, Willis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Fellas

This can’t be real

You’re hanging your hat on a UDFA from Troy who barely had 800 yards as a senior and was skipped by over 220 selections.

UDFAs have less than a 1% chance to make a 53.

They have an even more fractional chance to play

And lottery type odds to contribute and be a starter.

How has this become bengal fandom? Just say crazy stuff and hope reality isn’t a thing.

Willis is not a solution
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2019, 09:36 AM)TopSix Wrote: Fellas

This can’t be real

You’re hanging your hat on a UDFA from Troy who barely had 800 yards as a senior and was skipped by over 220 selections.

UDFAs have less than a 1% chance to make a 53.

They have an even more fractional chance to play

And lottery type odds to contribute and be a starter.

How has this become bengal fandom?  Just say crazy stuff and hope reality isn’t a thing.

Willis is not a solution

John Randle scoffs at your remarks!! James Harrison wants to beat you up and take your lunch money
Reply/Quote
[Image: football-father-episode-8-pictured-gary-...?s=612x612]
(08-06-2019, 09:25 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: What you talkin’ ‘bout, Willis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote