Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damian Willis
(08-06-2019, 09:36 AM)TopSix Wrote: Fellas

This can’t be real

You’re hanging your hat on a UDFA from Troy who barely had 800 yards as a senior and was skipped by over 220 selections.

UDFAs have less than a 1% chance to make a 53.

They have an even more fractional chance to play

And lottery type odds to contribute and be a starter.

How has this become bengal fandom?  Just say crazy stuff and hope reality isn’t a thing.

Willis is not a solution

Not sure anyone thinks he is the 'solution'. Rather he is an undrafted player who is making a great impression in camp and shows the potential to make the roster and contribute in the future. This is expected of draft picks but not so much UFA as you note. It may very well amount to nothing but it is a good story to follow and Lord knows this team needs more of those.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Bengals released their depth chart, the decision will be how many they keep. Eifert has been running with the TE's but they could opt for 4 and keep 6 WR's instead of 7. Special teams always plays into the decision and Cody Core is 1st team there. So, if they keep 7, he would need to be unseated.

WR
John Ross III
Cody Core
Damion Willis
Stanley Morgan

WR
Tyler Boyd
Alex Erickson
Hunter Sharp

WR
A.J. Green
Josh Malone (apparently crushing it this camp)
Auden Tate (did some work with 1st team and looking good, red zone dreams, plays teams as well)
Ventell Bryant

Locks- Green, Ross, Boyd, Erickson, Malone Likely, Core and Tate

So one of the free agents like Willis would have to show that he can handle Core's special teams duties and as well as be upgrade.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2019, 08:52 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Here is an article about his pro time...He even wore #15 in college.  And at just under 6'4" and 200 lbs...he reminds me a lot of a Chris Henry.  

I would normally not waste the time but this coaching staff seems to be giving every guy a legitimate shot.  Love that and I'm pulling for this kid.  

https://www.meridianstar.com/sports/damion-willis-pleased-with-pro-day-as-he-prepares-for/article_7c0c31f4-4512-11e9-a8d7-3f3035eeadfa.html

Damian Willis I think might take that last spot, haven't heard much from Morgan but really liked him in college. 

Malone actually has been playing really well. Gonna be tight for that last spot but Willis is helping himself for sure.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2019, 11:13 AM)yang Wrote: Bengals released their depth chart, the decision will be how many they keep.  Eifert has been running with the TE's but they could opt for 4 and keep 6 WR's instead of 7.  Special teams always plays into the decision and Cody Core is 1st team there.  So, if they keep 7, he would need to be unseated.

WR
John Ross III
Cody Core
Damion Willis
Stanley Morgan

WR
Tyler Boyd
Alex Erickson
Hunter Sharp

WR
A.J. Green
Josh Malone  (apparently crushing it this camp)
Auden Tate    (did some work with 1st team and looking good, red zone dreams, plays teams as well)
Ventell Bryant

Locks- Green, Ross, Boyd, Erickson, Malone   Likely, Core and Tate    

So one of the free agents like Willis would have to show that he can handle Core's special teams duties and as well as be upgrade.
I heard that Hunter Sharp has been looking good as well as Willis.  I have no proof or any real evidence but I would not be surprised if Core gets cut in favor of one of the UDFA.  I also think Bengals will go with 7 WR because of the injury history to Ross and Green.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 07:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Ross's success in the red zone had nothing to do with skill.  It was all about getting favorable coverage matchups against red zone defenses.

If his 7tds catches were based in any way on any skill then he would have been able to use it anywhere else on the field.  IN fact he would have been able to use it EVEN BETTER between the 20's where defenses have more space to cover and receivers have more room to get open.

Not necessarily. 
He could have been sent on deeper, longer developing routes between the 20's (supported evidence by having the highest average target distance on the team last year of 14.6) and without enough time for his route to develop, the ball was thrown to another receiver on a shorter route.

It could just be that Ross was forced to be put on quicker, shorter routes in the red zone because that's all that's able to be done and he was able to succeed in those very well. We'll see this year how well he does if the team starts actually trying to use him in the short and intermediate routes a lot more.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-06-2019, 12:50 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I heard that Hunter Sharp has been looking good as well as Willis.  I have no proof or any real evidence but I would not be surprised if Core gets cut in favor of one of the UDFA.  I also think Bengals will go with 7 WR because of the injury history to Ross and Green.

Do any of them not look good? Then the regular season starts and it will be Green and Boyd and the rest will be bad.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2019, 01:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Do any of them not look good? Then the regular season starts and it will be Green and Boyd and the rest will be bad.

I think Erickson has looked good during regular season.  Tate, Ross, Malone, and Core disappeared during regular season.  Hopefully Malone has a break out year.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(08-06-2019, 01:22 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think Erickson has looked good during regular season.  Tate, Ross, Malone, and Core disappeared during regular season.  Hopefully Malone has a break out year.  

20 catches for 167 yards isn't cutting it as a #2/3 receiver which he was due to injuries.

As a punt/kick returner I like him.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2019, 11:58 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Damian Willis I think might take that last spot, haven't heard much from Morgan but really liked him in college. 

Malone actually has been playing really well. Gonna be tight for that last spot but Willis is helping himself for sure.

I think Morgan did a lot more in college, against a tougher level of competition.  I heard they have him returning kickoffs now.  It seems like they are trying to be creative on ways to give everyone a shot to make the club.  Morgan may be the final WR and Willis may go to the PS.  

Preseason will sure be interesting.  
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2019, 08:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think Morgan did a lot more in college, against a tougher level of competition.  I heard they have him returning kickoffs now.  It seems like they are trying to be creative on ways to give everyone a shot to make the club.  Morgan may be the final WR and Willis may go to the PS.  

Preseason will sure be interesting.  

True about Morgan's level of competition and just saw a highlight of Morgan making a nice TD grab on the sideline over a DB. Him playing ST's already gives Morgan a distinct advantage too. This is sounding more likely with Malone also finally playing well. It will be interesting, sounds like we have a good new WR coach or did Bicknell stay? I forget?
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2019, 12:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True about Morgan's level of competition and just saw a highlight of Morgan making a nice TD grab on the sideline over a DB. Him playing ST's already gives Morgan a distinct advantage too. This is sounding more likely with Malone also finally playing well. It will be interesting, sounds like we have a good new WR coach or did Bicknell stay? I forget?

believe Bicknell was one of the few Taylor Kept on staff
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2019, 01:18 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: believe Bicknell was one of the few Taylor Kept on staff

Him and Van Pelt, thought so. Like it too, think both are good coaches.
Reply/Quote
https://www.cincyjungle.com/platform/amp/2019/8/8/20753616/film-room-damion-willis-is-the-top-udfa-to-watch-for-bengals
Reply/Quote
Will probably see some usage tomorrow night. If he does well like in the clips, he will definitely be one of those few standout players we see emerge every TC.

Reply/Quote
Yup. That article sure made him sound impressive.
Reply/Quote
Damion Willis is an undrafted rookie out of Troy that's 6'4, 204 lbs and he already the starting job while AJ's out!

He's undrafted so he's not getting much hype, but to beat-out the vets and other rookies is impressive!

Watch his highlights and you'll be pretty impressed!

He has great body control, can win jump balls and contested catches, and he has big play ability!

I'm drooling at the thoughts of having him and AJ on the field at the same time because who do you choose to focus on and double?!

I'm seeing a lot of Slim's (RIP) characteristics in this kid!

He may not have faced the best talent, but those are nice plays regardless of who's guarding him!

I know it seems like the usual overblown hype, but this kid's ability could be big for us when he's paired with AJ because the defense would need to keep both safeties back, but then how do you stop Mixon?!

We just need the line to give Dalton time to throw!
Reply/Quote
I have to admit, I'm usually laughing my arse off every off-season where we imagine our WR bench being full of late-round or undrafted super-talents and then each season just leads to AJ and one other vet being actually productive...but, things feel a bit different this time.

I'm optimistic about this, but at the same time I'm keeping my highest expectations being that of our WRs treading water and not sinking while AJ is out. If I didn't already have Boyd on my fantasy team I would snag this guy off the heap.
Reply/Quote
Most are long, contested catches! Good to see this.

As long as he can catch the medium range catches, that's even better. Andy/Finley/Dolagala won't have all day in the world to throw anyways.
Reply/Quote
Damion Willis earned this. He was outstanding in the preseason.
Reply/Quote
Bump for Racer calling it 3 weeks ago.
Reply/Quote