Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damion Willis Waived
So what was up with the hype on this guy last year? I’ve never seen someone SO talked up by the coaching staff only to disappear and then get waived the next preseason. This whole situation really gets me worried about how this coaching staff evaluated players. Let’s hope it was an anomaly and not the norm under ZT.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 04:37 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: So what was up with the hype on this guy last year? I’ve never seen someone SO talked up by the coaching staff only to disappear and then get waived the next preseason. This whole situation really gets me worried about how this coaching staff evaluated players. Let’s hope it was an anomaly and not the norm under ZT.

It is weird no doubt. I figured Willis wasn't going to make it with us bringing in Tee though anyways.

Plus Tate and Thomas balling, but this seems a bit soon to waive Willis to me. 

Especially with the way AJ and Ross have problems staying healthy.

Maybe Willis got hurt?
Reply/Quote
Maybe he was having a bad camp, and Thomas made it an easy choice.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 04:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is weird no doubt. I figured Willis wasn't going to make it with us bringing in Tee though anyways.

Plus Tate and Thomas balling, but this seems a bit soon to waive Willis to me. 

Especially with the way AJ and Ross have problems staying healthy.

Maybe Willis got hurt?

I have no problem with them cutting Willis. I do get confused at how they talked him up and then also had players talk about how great he was in preseason interviews. Seemed so forced IMO
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 04:59 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote:  I do get confused at how they talked him up and then also had players talk about how great he was in preseason interviews. 

See also: Armon Binns, Auden Tate.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 04:59 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I have no problem with them cutting Willis. I do get confused at how they talked him up and then also had players talk about how great he was in preseason interviews. Seemed so forced IMO

Well, Willis was playing well in TC and Preseason last year. He just couldn't play against starters evidently in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 05:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: See also: Armon Binns, Auden Tate.

Auden Tate actually played okay against starters in NFL. Bad comparison IMO.
Reply/Quote
Willis was a guy you wanted to root for. He ended up
Starting vs the Hawks.
But once you get that chance you either make plays or you dont.
When I saw him on the field looked like he had issues
Seperating. He might catch on later when injuries
Hit a WR unit.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 05:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Auden Tate actually played okay against starters in NFL. Bad comparison IMO.

Fred never got the memo that Tate is actually progressing from last year. Marvin buried Tate and Tate never said a word.he just put his head.down and got to work. 
Tate is a model of persistance
Reply/Quote

Binns was talked up by a few reporters and fans. Willis was being talked about by AJ Green, Boyd and the HC. The Willis hype was big time last year and he was worse than Binns, Briscoe and even Kumerow!
Reply/Quote

The Tate hype was justified.

Reply/Quote
Fred Logic:

Hart improved

Tate did not
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 05:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Auden Tate actually played okay against starters in NFL. Bad comparison IMO.

Among the 65 WRs last year who had at least 40 catches. Tate was dead last (65th) in catch percentage, and 53rd in yards per target.  96 other WRs had more td receptions. The only reason he was even on the field was because of injuries.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 05:19 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Binns was talked up by a few reporters and fans. Willis was being talked about by AJ Green, Boyd and the HC. The Willis hype was big time last year and he was worse than Binns, Briscoe and even Kumerow!

Binns was grabbed by the Dolphins off our practice squad at the end of 2012.  He tore both an ACL and MCL in training camp in 2013. That essentially ended his career.  He is currently on the Bearcats coaching staff

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 05:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Among the 65 WRs last year who had at least 40 catches. Tate was dead last (65th) in catch percentage, 61st in TDS, and 53rd in yards per target.  The only reason he was even on the field was because of injuries.

So he was top 65 in catches?

32 teams most run 2 WR sets the vast majority of the time and Tate was top 65 in the NFL?

Seems like he improved over the 4 catches he had the year before. 

Are you suggesting we only had 2 healthy WRs if the ONLY reason he was on the field was injuries or was he perhaps better than some of our healthy WRs and others around the NFL?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 05:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Among the 65 WRs last year who had at least 40 catches. Tate was dead last (65th) in catch percentage, 61st in TDS, and 53rd in yards per target.  The only reason he was even on the field was because of injuries.

So what? He also had highly inaccurate QB's throwing to him where he had to make circus catches and he is balling it up in camp
this year. Willis did next to nothing as a WR last season, poor comparison. What was Willis's rankings? Lol
Reply/Quote
Our WR core is loaded I'm not going to destroy a guy for not making it in this group.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 04:37 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: So what was up with the hype on this guy last year? I’ve never seen someone SO talked up by the coaching staff only to disappear and then get waived the next preseason. This whole situation really gets me worried about how this coaching staff evaluated players. Let’s hope it was an anomaly and not the norm under ZT.

It's hard to say.  He sucked the two games he started last year.  He might have lost his confidence and/or got lazy in the off-season.

The thing I've noticed with this staff is that they seem to talk everybody up, at least in the media.
Reply/Quote
Tate had 40 rec and 575 yds in 12 games. In what world is that not a huge improvement over 4 rec 35 yds in 7 games?

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 05:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Among the 65 WRs last year who had at least 40 catches. Tate was dead last (65th) in catch percentage, and 53rd in yards per target.  96 other WRs had more td receptions. The only reason he was even on the field was because of injuries.

(08-25-2020, 05:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: So what? He also had highly inaccurate QB's throwing to him where he had to make circus catches and he is balling it up in camp
this year. Willis did next to nothing as a WR last season, poor comparison. What was Willis's rankings? Lol

He was also 9th in the AFC in his catch % resulting in 1st downs
He improved in every facet of his game last year
He had garbage at QB also. Tate made catches last year
That would be incompletes for most other targets. 
Reply/Quote