Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damion Willis Waived
I think "preseason hype" may be a bit unfair to describe all of Willis's success last year. A 2nd round (overdrafted) DE getting 4 sacks in preseason against UDFA RT's is hype. a 3rd round Olineman looking like an all pro in the 4th qtr. against the 3rd string is hype.

An UDFA WR making contested catches, catching passes way less than perfectly thrown and so on isn't really the same thing. And IIRC Willis had some snaps against close to 1st string D's and had a couple receptions.

Was it misguided hope ? perhaps
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 06:19 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Good point. Great pick in the 7th round. Probably our best 7th rounder since TJ.

Let’s hope Bailey is another hit.

TJ Johnson or my man with the shiny shoes? Smirk

Either way, I think that's being a touch harsh on Fejedelem who was a good role player for us and earned a decent payrise this winter.

I'll also throw out another safety in Chinedum Ndukwe and Jonathan Fanene who was a useful rotational piece. 

Hopefully Tate and Bailey can surpass all three though.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 05:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: See also: Armon Binns, Auden Tate.

To be fair we’ve seen Tate produce on the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 10:06 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: This is certainly a fair question and especially the 3 games Dalton did not start. Our back up QB in 2019 may have been the worst back up in the league. 

I like Tate and think in the right role, he can be productive.

Dalton stunk, too. Here's a list of every QB ranked who started at least 1 game in 2019. Dalton is tied for 30th eight between Drew Lock & Mitch Trubiski.

All I'm saying is that stats in football are very interesting to disect and are typically layered, multi-part equations. Bad QB play typically doesn't  = great WR stats.

Same can be said aboutt QB stats and the O line. There are layers!
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2020, 08:46 AM)TJHoushmandzadehs Shiny Shoes Wrote: TJ Johnson or my man with the shiny shoes? Smirk

Either way, I think that's being a touch harsh on Fejedelem who was a good role player for us and earned a decent payrise this winter.

I'll also throw out another safety in Chinedum Ndukwe and Jonathan Fanene who was a useful rotational piece. 

Hopefully Tate and Bailey can surpass all three though.

I’d take Tate over all those guys.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 04:37 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: So what was up with the hype on this guy last year? I’ve never seen someone SO talked up by the coaching staff only to disappear and then get waived the next preseason. This whole situation really gets me worried about how this coaching staff evaluated players. Let’s hope it was an anomaly and not the norm under ZT.

Well, let's look at what is here today that wasn't here last year at this time:

AJ Green
Tee Higgins
Mike Thomas

Stanley Morgan Jr was one of their best on special teams.  

Add in the fact that Auden Tate showed much more in his opportunities and it isn't that shocking that the guy got pushed out.  I wish him well.  Seemed like a good kid.  
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 05:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Among the 65 WRs last year who had at least 40 catches. Tate was dead last (65th) in catch percentage, and 53rd in yards per target.  96 other WRs had more td receptions. The only reason he was even on the field was because of injuries.

Seems to have a QB now that likes him and knows how to utilize his strengths.  How many times did Anquan Boldin make plays in traffic to make Flaccid look like a HOFer during their Super Bowl run?  You have to give the guy a chance for him to make a play.  
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2020, 10:22 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d take Tate over all those guys.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree in terms of potential but in terms of production he hasn't yet. Obviously he's only 2 years into what we hope is a long and successful career. 
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2020, 10:58 AM)TJHoushmandzadehs Shiny Shoes Wrote: I wouldn't necessarily disagree in terms of potential but in terms of production he hasn't yet. Obviously he's only 2 years into what we hope is a long and successful career. 

None of those guys were particularly productive. Fej was a backup and ST player, Fanene really only had 2 decent seasons, and Ndukwe was just ok.

Tate was 2nd on the team in Yds last season. And if he had gotten better QB play his stats would have been even better.

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2020, 10:58 AM)TJHoushmandzadehs Shiny Shoes Wrote: I wouldn't necessarily disagree in terms of potential but in terms of production he hasn't yet. Obviously he's only 2 years into what we hope is a long and successful career. 

Fanene is the only one I'd prefer over Tate, solely because of the production he had while here and longevity; a 6 sack season from a rotational DE is equivalent to a 600 yard season from a WR IMO and Fanene did it twice (6.5 the second time), so if Tate has another 2 years like last year, he will surpass Fanene in my eyes.

Potential-wise, Tate had Fanene beat in his rookie year.

Wonder if Fanene has gone to jail yet...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Ok Fanene had 2 good years. I still take Tate for what he did on a bad team with terrible QB’s.

Reply/Quote
Tate has also learned to.expand his value and hes a contributor
On special teams too.
I remember AJ Green calling him a Brandon Marshall Jr.
His rookie year. Darn shame Marvin buried him when.he
Had no reason.too
Reply/Quote