Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dan Hoard has Lapham's pick at 9!
In addition to Ogbuehi's struggles, Dalton was constantly having to roll out and throw balls away because few of our receivers were getting separation.

Assuming Green, Eifert, and Bernard can stay healthy this season, adding a great route-runner and deep threat like Ross to the equation should work wonders, and would help to hide any lingering issues with the o-line.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 01:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good point to a point. Having that speed opposite AJ Green will change things no matter the Defense.

One of our biggest problems on Offense last year besides Og and Bodine of course was the lack of a deep threat besides
AJ Green. Lafell and Boyd are not burners, when Core came in you could see this. Could just clamp down on our guys
before this, no Defense was scared of either of these guys beating them deep.

As I said it changes practically nothing, especially if your talking overtop. With the cover two depending on the count the CB overtop the WR is going to pass him off to a safety anytime they stretch the field vertically which means he will follow him then fall back off to the curl/flat zone. The cover two by name is going to have the safeties over top. Now if you want to line up Ross in the slot same side as AJ that will create a tough choice for a safety but that happens anyways with a cover two.

His real value will be against man and cover three teams which the steelers do occasionally but not enough to proclaim he is changing the way they play us.
Reply/Quote
Won't help a bit with Dalton on his backside
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 01:34 PM)Ricky Spanish Wrote: Won't help a bit with Dalton on his backside

As I have said other places you can scheme him protection with bootlegs, roll outs , and waggles. What you can't do is line up in shotgun 30 times a game throwing it and think he will be okay.
Reply/Quote
I sure hope Ross is NOT the pick at 9. This will be such a waste IMO. So many better options at 9. This guy is projected to fall to the 2nd round. Some teams have him off their boards due to injury history. This just took me from being excited about the draft to depressed and not even looking forward to it. I've heard things here and there about the Bengals wanting Ross but coming from Lap really makes this seem surreal. Shit Shit Shit.
Reply/Quote
I hope we can trade back to take Ross later if that's who they really want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
podcast is up. Lapham predicts John Ross at 9 but said his dream scenario is trading back to 15-18 range and taking a pass rusher while picking up an extra Day 2 pick. Link to the podcast provided in the OP.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 01:32 PM)Au165 Wrote: As I said it changes practically nothing, especially if your talking overtop. With the cover two depending on the count the CB overtop the WR is going to pass him off to a safety anytime they stretch the field vertically which means he will follow him then fall back off to the curl/flat zone. The cover two by name is going to have the safeties over top. Now if you want to line up Ross in the slot same side as AJ that will create a tough choice for a safety but that happens anyways with a cover two.

His real value will be against man and cover three teams which the steelers do occasionally but not enough to proclaim he is changing the way they play us.

You definately know coverages better than i but you cannot deny having great speed will not help this slow WR corps.

That was our biggest problem last year with our WR's, they are slow besides Green and Core.

(04-26-2017, 01:34 PM)Ricky Spanish Wrote: Won't help a bit with Dalton on his backside

Who is there at 9 that would? Atleast a speedy WR would be a good outlet and as Au165 here says we could use
different plays to help out Dalton. Slant routes are a QB's best friend when your OL is a problem, besides screens
but our screen plays have become predictable as of late.

Cam Robinson is a reach at 9 here and wouldn't start if Og improves which he will.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 01:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You definately know coverages better than i but you cannot deny having great speed will not help this slow WR corps.

That was our biggest problem last year with our WR's, they are slow besides Green and Core.

I agree it can help, but I wouldn't call it "slow". As I said against cover 3, more so because the reaction off the vertical threat (dig,out, curl), or man (chance to beat over top or inside), are going to be where we see the real value with his speed. If you want to scheme him inside against cover two teams and keep him same side as AJ, I pointed out that the deep post will create some good match ups.

My pet peeve more so is people assume a fast guy can get vertical against all coverage. We also run a lot of cover 2 and the idea is to not let anything go over top and make them work underneath and across the middle. The reality is Ross is going to have to make as many plays across the middle as he is over top to be worth #9. The steelers do run a lot of cover 2 man on 3rd and long. They press at the line and then follow with trail technique knowing they have the cover 2 shell over top. If Ross can beat the press off the line he will have some options in these cases, but this is a bracket coverage setup and will require Dalton to thread it a bit more.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 09:32 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Dan Hoard posted on Twitter yesterday...
https://twitter.com/Dan_Hoard/status/856979437157580802

I will edit this post once the podcast is available so everyone can know Lapham's prediction. He's been pretty accurate the past few years at least, so I'm particularly interested to see who he thinks the pick will be.

UPDATE: Hoard's and Lapham's picks are in - Hoard went with Foster at 9, Lapham went with John Ross at 9.
But Lapham said his "dream" scenario is to trade back to the 15-18 range to pick up an extra Day 2 pick and take Derek Barnett, Charles Harris, or Takk McKinley in that 15-18 range.
http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/audio/Bengals-Booth-Podcast-Draft-Preview/776b037a-360c-404f-a976-63ce95254cf4

I would love to trade down to the 15-18 range and take Tak Mckinley or Malik McDowell.  Or if McDowell would be around in the second round at pick 41, would love to take Ross in the 15-18 range and take McDowell at 41.  I absolutely do not want Foster at 9.  If they're staying at 9, I wouldn't mind Howard or Barnett.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 01:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You definately know coverages better than i but you cannot deny having great speed will not help this slow WR corps.

Who is there at 9 that would? Atleast a speedy WR would be a good outlet and as Au165 here says we could use
different plays to help out Dalton. Slant routes are a QB's best friend when your OL is a problem, besides screens
but our screen plays have become predictable as of late.

Cam Robinson is a reach at 9 here and wouldn't start if Og improves which he will.

Hey Nate, I've been lurking on the board for a while, but not posting as much.  I am back to post now that the draft is a day away.  I know SHRacerX has been promoting Robinson in the late first round with a trade up from the second, but I don't want Robinson in the first round at all.  He could end up being a great guard, but I don't think this warrants a trade up into the first round.  If I were to take an Olineman in the first round, it's probably Garrett Bolles at tackle, but I'd rather not take an Olineman in the first round this year.  DE, or an offensive play maker in the first is what will probably help the team the most.  

Oh, almost forgot, BILLINGS !!!
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 01:46 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I sure hope Ross is NOT the pick at 9. This will be such a waste IMO. So many better options at 9. This guy is projected to fall to the 2nd round. Some teams have him off their boards due to injury history. This just took me from being excited about the draft to depressed and not even looking forward to it. I've heard things here and there about the Bengals wanting Ross but coming from Lap really makes this seem surreal. Shit Shit Shit.

Such a waste huh?

Guess having the best deep threat in college would not help our slow WR corps. This guy had a terrible deep ball QB
in college and still put up that insane pass to TD rate. Imagine what this guy could do with a decent deep ball QB!

Crazy talk saying picking John Ross would be such a waste. Haven't heard anyone go that far yet. Shocked
Reply/Quote
I can get on board which what they concluded, after talking about the X factor. If there's a suitor for a trade down scenario in the first... great. If not I do believe that Foster and Ross could both be utilized to their skill set.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 01:46 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I sure hope Ross is NOT the pick at 9. This will be such a waste IMO. So many better options at 9. This guy is projected to fall to the 2nd round. Some teams have him off their boards due to injury history. This just took me from being excited about the draft to depressed and not even looking forward to it. I've heard things here and there about the Bengals wanting Ross but coming from Lap really makes this seem surreal. Shit Shit Shit.

By the media.  You (and I) have no idea where he truly ranks in the NFL war rooms.

That being said, we will find out tomorrow.  Teams will love his speed and production.  It will be interesting to see where he goes..
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 02:20 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: By the media.  You (and I) have no idea where he truly ranks in the NFL war rooms.

That being said, we will find out tomorrow.  Teams will love his speed and production.  It will be interesting to see where he goes..

I think the "fall" is more injury concern related with the media. I think he is more of a mid to late 1st talent wise guy, but if a team falls in love guys can jump. See Eli Apple going at 10 last year.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 02:09 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Hey Nate, I've been lurking on the board for a while, but not posting as much.  I am back to post now that the draft is a day away.  I know SHRacerX has been promoting Robinson in the late first round with a trade up from the second, but I don't want Robinson in the first round at all.  He could end up being a great guard, but I don't think this warrants a trade up into the first round.  If I were to take an Olineman in the first round, it's probably Garrett Bolles at tackle, but I'd rather not take an Olineman in the first round this year.  DE, or an offensive play maker in the first is what will probably help the team the most.  

Oh, almost forgot,   BILLINGS !!!

Hey man, i think mostly what SHRacer has been saying is if we trade AJ McCarron to the Browns for their 33rd pick we
should take him there which i would be fine with. It is understandable with how bad Og was last year but like you said
Cam is probably more suited for Guard. We need a Center in this draft is all i can say. Bodine i have no hope for any
longer, getting a Center like Elflein, Pocic, Orlosky, Toth, Roullier etc i think would help us more than any OL pick early.

Bolles i agree would be a better insurance pick for OT than Cam Robinson.

BILLINGS yeah lmao! Can't wait to see this guy next to Geno this year baby! Rock On
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 02:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hey man, i think mostly what SHRacer has been saying is if we trade AJ McCarron to the Browns for their 33rd pick we
should take him there which i would be fine with. It is understandable with how bad Og was last year but like you said
Cam is probably more suited for Guard. We need a Center in this draft is all i can say. Bodine i have no hope for any
longer, getting a Center like Elflein, Pocic, Orlosky, Toth, Roullier etc i think would help us more than any OL pick early.

Bolles i agree would be a better insurance pick for OT than Cam Robinson.

BILLINGS yeah lmao! Can't wait to see this guy next to Geno this year baby! Rock On

I wouldn't mind Robinson in the 2nd round, but no earlier than that.  A center in the third or fourth round probably isn't a bad idea, but I don't know enough about Elflien Pocic or Orlosky and where they're projected.  But I don't want any part of Toth after I saw clips of the Senior Bowl practice.  He seemed to be struggling against every DT he went up against.  Even Montravious Adams just walked him straight back to where the QB would have been in three seconds or less ( but on a side note, maybe if Montravious is available in the fourth or fifth round I wouldn't mind picking him there).  
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 02:31 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: I wouldn't mind Robinson in the 2nd round, but no earlier than that.  A center in the third or fourth round probably isn't a bad idea, but I don't know enough about Elflien Pocic or Orlosky and where they're projected.  But I don't want any part of Toth after I saw clips of the Senior Bowl practice.  He seemed to be struggling against every DT he went up against.  Even Montravious Adams just walked him straight back to where the QB would have been in three seconds or less ( but on a side note, maybe if Montravious is available in the fourth or fifth round I wouldn't mind picking him there).  

Nice observation on Toth as i missed the Senior Bowl practice clips. Don't like that shit.

I do like Adams in the mid rounds. Roullier is an underrated Center prospect out of Wyoming.

He did it all in college, dominated the conference in both the running and passing game.

His only problem is his T-Rex arms. Cannot deny his production though.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 02:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice observation on Toth as i missed the Senior Bowl practice clips. Don't like that shit.

I do like Adams in the mid rounds. Roullier is an underrated Center prospect out of Wyoming.

He did it all in college, dominated the conference in both the running and passing game.

His only problem is his T-Rex arms. Cannot deny his production though.

So I got you on the Roullier train eh? :andy:
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 02:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: So I got you on the Roullier train eh? :andy:

Yes you did. Not much to not like when you listed his creds.
Reply/Quote