Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dan Hoard has Lapham's pick at 9!
Seems like John Ross is likely our pick then.

Lapham is very good at predicting our pick haha.
Reply/Quote
A lot of rumors that the Bengals don't like Barnett. It is possible, not likely, there is a smokescreen going on here. I've seen Barnett in some mocks picked ahead of us, maybe they are downplaying him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd be happy with Ross at #9. The Bengals had Coleman as their #1 WR last year and tried to trade up for Fuller. They obviously want speed on the offense.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 01:32 PM)Au165 Wrote: As I said it changes practically nothing, especially if your talking overtop. With the cover two depending on the count the CB overtop the WR is going to pass him off to a safety anytime they stretch the field vertically which means he will follow him then fall back off to the curl/flat zone. The cover two by name is going to have the safeties over top. Now if you want to line up Ross in the slot same side as AJ that will create a tough choice for a safety but that happens anyways with a cover two.

His real value will be against man and cover three teams which the steelers do occasionally but not enough to proclaim he is changing the way they play us.

That's why any OC worth his pay will always run a TE down the seam. That safety cannot cover 2 receivers.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 04:21 PM)sandwedge Wrote: That's why any OC worth his pay will always run a TE down the seam. That safety cannot cover 2 receivers.

I feel like people think this is the only route people think TEs can run

Anywho I would absolutely love this pick. I think by all reports Ross and Thomas are the 2 they want most. Thomas would be their first option but I would imagine they think he'll be gone by then
Reply/Quote
First and foremost John Ross is not my guy at 9.

That's said, it's probably the best way to help our unproven line in such a week draft for linemen. John Ross makes 1. Safeties play deeper. The result of this is 2. Andy can read defense and get ball out quicker and 3. Assuming eifert is healthy should open up the seam for him and/or take some pressure of AJ.

John is a rare talent and would have no issues with pick if not for injury history. That said. A Ross/mixon start makes our offense way more dynamic.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 04:21 PM)Esandwedge Wrote: That's why any OC worth his pay will always run a TE down the seam. That safety cannot cover 2 receivers.

First off no OC, always does anything. Depending on the type of Cover 2 the LB or Nickle Cb is on a hook/seam zone (or in Tampa 2 MLB falls into a deep third) so if the TE goes up field he is probably taking them with him. In the Steelers case they can easily use Shazier to go up the seam with most TEs. The reality though is your not running three seam routes all th time to try and force the safeties to split that is just too tough to convert those throws consistently. Often time you will use a seam out of the slot or from the TE in conjunction with an underneath route to the same area that forces the Lb to choose which of his responsibilities to cover (high/Low concept). You can also run a similar concept in a Dagger route with a backside drag.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 02:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Such a waste huh?

Guess having the best deep threat in college would not help our slow WR corps. This guy had a terrible deep ball QB
in college and still put up that insane pass to TD rate. Imagine what this guy could do with a decent deep ball QB!

Crazy talk saying picking John Ross would be such a waste. Haven't heard anyone go that far yet. Shocked

Nate I think I've agreed with you on most of the prospects but IMO I have to disagree on this one. Yes I do think it's a waste with the other options that may be available at 9. This guy is injury prone undersized receiver who won't last in our division. He still needs to be developed as a short to medium route runner which I agree is what we need. I just think there will be better options at 9. If they want a pass catching weapon at 9 i would much rather have OJ or even a RB. Not to mention WR is not even close to our biggest needs. If we trade back and get him fine. And I'm sure this all depends on how the rest of our draft pans out. I want one of the top 5 RB's in the 2nd, this pretty much guarantees that won't happen now unless we do trade back/AJM or they just neglect DE in the first 2 rounds.
Reply/Quote
This is almost as real as the bengals have actually made the pick. The opinions are so varying. I doubt there would be a pick at 9 most would agree on outside of Garrett

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 05:37 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: This is almost as real as the bengals have actually made the pick.  The opinions are so varying.  I doubt there would be a pick at 9 most would agree on outside of Garrett

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure there are plenty of people who wouldn't like Garrett at 9...
Reply/Quote
I know these two are usually correct in predicting draft choices but I hope they're wrong on this one. Ross with his injury history scares me even if he checks out on medicals. I'm still hoping it's OJ Howard. It certainly would make things different for teams to cover AJ Green Tyler eifert and OJ Howard and Gio Bernard.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 06:21 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I know these two are usually correct in predicting draft choices but I hope they're wrong on this one. Ross with his injury history scares me even if he checks out on medicals. I'm still hoping it's OJ Howard. It certainly would make things different for teams to cover AJ Green Tyler eifert and OJ Howard and Gio Bernard.

Exactly.... and at least OJ is durable.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 05:13 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Nate I think I've agreed with you on most of the prospects but IMO I have to disagree on this one. Yes I do think it's a waste with the other options that may be available at 9. This guy is injury prone undersized receiver who won't last in our division. He still needs to be developed as a short to medium route runner which I agree is what we need. I just think there will be better options at 9. If they want a pass catching weapon at 9 i would much rather have OJ or even a RB. Not to mention WR is not even close to our biggest needs. If we trade back and get him fine. And I'm sure this all depends on how the rest of our draft pans out. I want one of the top 5 RB's in the 2nd, this pretty much guarantees that won't happen now unless we do trade back/AJM or they just neglect DE in the first 2 rounds.

Just blew my mind on you saying it would be such a wasted pick. You are one of the posters i really respect.

The injuries to his knees didn't stop him from running the best forty effortlessly. This guy is something we have needed
for years and he is way faster than MLJ and is a better route runner. He sets his guys up. I understand the need for RB
and i am fine with Cook or McCaffrey at 9 but this guy will be deadly dude barring injuries.

Fits perfect for us IMHO, nice follow up post though TKUHL. Apologize if i came of like a dick.

We won't know who will be there in the 3rd at RB, plus we don't even know for sure about a AJM trade...

We definately need an End and a RB more than a WR i completely agree, but this guy is once in a lifetime type IMHO.

Love John Ross, i think he would help us immediately.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 06:48 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Exactly.... and at least OJ is durable.

Agree with that, just can't but help but wonder all the times teams are scared shitless lining up against Green and Ross.

Really like OJ Howard, all for that pick as well and i could be dead wrong and Ross's injuries are that bad.
Reply/Quote
I don't get this, we have much bigger needs than WR. I guess it's not suprising though considering they wanted one in the 1st last year too.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 11:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don't get this, we have much bigger needs than WR. I guess it's not suprising though considering they wanted one in the 1st last year too.

Our biggest needs are Center and Defensive End but if the top 3 or so Ends are gone by 9 which is likely we can still
get a good one at 41. I still believe it is best to go with the best player available at 9 with the most talent. To me that
is either Ross, Howard or Cook from what we are seeing.

Barnett has his problems with the run Nicomo...
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 11:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Our biggest needs are Center and Defensive End but if the top 3 or so Ends are gone by 9 which is likely we can still
get a good one at 41. I still believe it is best to go with the best player available at 9 with the most talent. To me that
is either Ross, Howard or Cook from what we are seeing.

Barnett has his problems with the run Nicomo...

Rather have Howard then. 

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 10:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just blew my mind on you saying it would be such a wasted pick. You are one of the posters i really respect.

The injuries to his knees didn't stop him from running the best forty effortlessly. This guy is something we have needed
for years and he is way faster than MLJ and is a better route runner. He sets his guys up. I understand the need for RB
and i am fine with Cook or McCaffrey at 9 but this guy will be deadly dude barring injuries.

Fits perfect for us IMHO, nice follow up post though TKUHL. Apologize if i came of like a dick.

We won't know who will be there in the 3rd at RB, plus we don't even know for sure about a AJM trade...

We definately need an End and a RB more than a WR i completely agree, but this guy is once in a lifetime type IMHO.

Love John Ross, i think he would help us immediately.

No apology necessary. Like I said I will have to respectfully disagree on this one. Im sure I will warm up to it as the draft class fills out. Its just the injury history scares me with this guy. I just dont like taking a player that small in the top 10 no matter how fast he is. We can get a guy like Samuel Curtis who runs a 4.31 in the 2nd and he's 5'11 196 compared to Ross at 5'11 188. I dont think Ross is a waste, I think he will be awesome. I just think it would be a wasted opportunity with some of the other talent that might be available. Its just my personal preference. I hope a team is willing to trade up to 9. I think that would be our best option. We may be able to trade back a couple spots and still get him. I would like one of the top 5 RB's in the 2nd but I dont think any will be there.
Reply/Quote
We haven't drafted this early since AJ, and I dont see Ross as a top 5 player worth getting excited about sliding to 9 let alone being content with at 9. Downplay injures if you'd like but i want long term usage out of 9. Another team likely sees their QB or player they're in love with, so hold the it takes two line. Dealing down as an extra 2nd or 3rd in this draft is more important than the thin line between prospects between say 7 thru 20. I'd be as cool with either of the 3 WRS as I would some of the pass rushers ore true BPA in that range. Package a few late picks to fix the quality over quantity balance and call it a day. This draft could be big for Cincy, use the picks right.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 04:33 AM)phil413 Wrote: We haven't drafted this early since AJ, and I dont see Ross as a top 5 player worth getting excited about sliding to 9 let alone being content with at 9. Downplay injures if you'd like but i want long term usage out of 9. Another team likely sees their QB or player they're in love with, so hold the it takes two line. Dealing down as an extra 2nd or 3rd in this draft is more important than the thin line between prospects between say 7 thru 20. I'd be as cool with either of the 3 WRS as I would some of the pass rushers ore true BPA in that range. Package a few late picks to fix the quality over quantity balance and call it a day. This draft could be big for Cincy, use the picks right.

We have Smith back to play RT. I think Westerman will be fine at RG. I'm more worried about LT. I hope we find a team to trade back with to give us an extra pick or two in the first 3 rounds. That would allow us to go DE, RB, OL, WR/TE.
Reply/Quote